7MM STW: Thoughts on Caliber for Long Range

I inherited a Remington 700 Sendero in 7mm STW that is in excellent shape and it’s topped with a Swarovski 6-18x50 Habicht with a AO on the front bell.

The previous owner is a close friend that passed and he loved the rifle. He reloaded but he also had several boxes of the Core Lokts 140 grain.

What are you all’s thoughts on this as a long range caliber for hunting ag fields for whitetail?

I don’t reload and looking at various factory loads. Nosler has a long range offering that has a BC of .67. Any recommends on factory ammo? Is the 140 Core Lokt worth or will it explode at ranges under 100 yards?

The Swaro Habicht 6-18x50 is nice but it’s not a dialer. I’m considering a new scope but haven’t made up my mind yet.

Thanks for your help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob5589

WKR
The STW has been killing stuff at long range for a long time. It'll put the hurting on any wt at any distance you'd care to shoot.

The 7 STW is a certified critter wrecker at any range . I've had one for about 15 years and it's smashed a ton of deer and one girl elk. I'm not a big fan of core lokts , if you're going to use factory ammo I'd look at the Nosler 160 Accubonds .

I've had one for almost 30 years and it is an absolute hammer on Deer. 140's pretty much explode.
Shoots really flat as well.

OP
General RE LEE
Would you all recommend a scope to dial or keep the 6-18x50 Swaro Halbricht? I’m a Leupold VX5HD with the CDS-ZL2 turret is I know some heads are going to explode but the VX5HD has great glass.

Forest

WKR
It's terrible, better just send it over to me so it's not in your way ha. The latest and greatest 28 nosler is ballisticly the same thing and look at all the attention it is getting. Cant go wrong with it!! As far as a scope you have some good glass on it already, but if wanting to dial an upgrade may be in order or possibly talk to kenton and see if they can make a turret for the current scope.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

OP
General RE LEE
It's terrible, better just send it over to me so it's not in your way ha. The latest and greatest 28 nosler is ballisticly the same thing and look at all the attention it is getting. Cant go wrong with it!! As far as a scope you have some good glass on it already, but if wanting to dial an upgrade may be in order or possibly talk to kenton and see if they can make a turret for the current scope.

I messaged Kenton Industries. Nothing indicates they work with Swarovski on their website but who knows. Thank you.

Tumbleweed

Lil-Rokslider
The cartridge is great. Limiting factor will be the barrel twist if you want to run heavier bullets. Case capacity is certainly there for 180 class bullets but factory twists are not.

I worked up a load for a friend in a Savage 7stw with factory twist. We chose 168 grain Berger Classic Hunters due to twist limitations and also OAL considerations since its a mag feeder. Shoots around .5 MOA and he's killed two elk with it at around 500 yards. Both one shot DRT

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I had a hot 7mm STW back in the day; every so often a 140g ballistic tip would give way and it would put a dinner plate sized hole in my plywood backstop! I’d love to have that one back; a M70 Super Grade. I’d put a new barrel on it twisted for the new heavy Bergers.

I remember one I shot with a hot 140 BT and the wife's uncle looked at it and saw the huge hole behind the shoulder. He asked where the entrance wound was. I told him that is the entrance wound.

OP
General RE LEE
I have the Remington 700 Sendero so I think twist is 1/9 or maybe I read somewhere 1/9.5.

OP
General RE LEE
I’m going to try the Hornady Precision Hunter with the 162 grain ELD bullet.

Jim1187

Lil-Rokslider
If you're expecting shots under 100 yards lightish weight cup and cores or LR bullets can create a lot of blood shot and do erratic things upon striking flesh. Nosler's 160's either accubond or partition are probably my favorite bullets for any of the 7mm magnums for all around purposes. I would probably look hard at at Federal's 160 trophy bonded tip if I was shooting factory.

Forest

WKR
There is a whole page just for the STW on the long range hunting forum. Might be worth your time reading through it a bit.

2five7

WKR
Your gun probably has a 9.5 twist barrel, so bullets up to 160-168 will do well for you. 160 Accubond if you like a bonded bullet, or a 168 Berger if you want the higher BC for longer shots or high winds.

My factory barreled sendero I settled on 160 accubond. Till I shot the barrel out. Had excellent accuracy and performed well on deer.

Been sitting for several years now. Haven't decided what to do with it. Need to re-barrel, just don't know which bullet I want to be using. Maybe I should stick with what worked but definitely like the idea of the 180 grain + bullets.

I’m going to try the Hornady Precision Hunter with the 162 grain ELD bullet.

Hornady's published velocities look mild for the chambering. Try not to hit bone though. I had a 7mm 175 ELDx at 2820 muzzle velocity not make it past a wolf's spine this past fall..