7MM STW: Thoughts on Caliber for Long Range

I inherited a Remington 700 Sendero in 7mm STW that is in excellent shape and it’s topped with a Swarovski 6-18x50 Habicht with a AO on the front bell.

The previous owner is a close friend that passed and he loved the rifle. He reloaded but he also had several boxes of the Core Lokts 140 grain.

What are you all’s thoughts on this as a long range caliber for hunting ag fields for whitetail?

I don’t reload and looking at various factory loads. Nosler has a long range offering that has a BC of .67. Any recommends on factory ammo? Is the 140 Core Lokt worth or will it explode at ranges under 100 yards?

The Swaro Habicht 6-18x50 is nice but it’s not a dialer. I’m considering a new scope but haven’t made up my mind yet.

Thanks for your help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great cartridge and rifle combo for Ag fields and whitetail!! The factory twist rate will limit your bullet selection but for whitetails I say go light and faster as you please! If you are handloading you can probably run the 145gr LRX up over 3300fps and they smash critters. If you are limited to factory ammo then try out the Precision Hunters or find some Nosler 160gr Accubonds.

As for the scope-- nothing wrong with the VX5HD for what you want it to do. I've had two and they both functioned great-- the one with the Impact-29 reticle stayed true back and forth to 800 yards for several hundred rounds.

slm9s

FNG
My main elk rifle is a 7stw. I load 154 Hornady Interbonds over h1000. I've taken several bulls and it performs well. I'd stick to a bonded/premium bullet.
I run Leupold VX6 2-12's on my elk rifles with the long range duplex giving dots for shots out to 500. I don't dial, as most of my shots are under 300. As far as the vx5 - I've read of reports of them pooping the bed when dialed over time, but I have no personal experience. I think the lrhs/lrts 3-12 would be a good choice, the 3-9 swfa, or of course NF if you have the cash.
Good luck!

Rsmiley

FNG
STW is great. I shoot 162 eld x over rl 22 and it is a proven 1 mile cartridge. I’m sure heavier projectiles would be better for that range. Does anyone shoot viht n560 in their stw? As I am running low on rl 22 I wanted to try some other powders but can’t seem to find data. Thanks.

Absolutely a hammer and mild recoil as well. I shot 140-195 grain pills from it with equal success. I have thought about building another one.

Marble

WKR
I have a M70 with Sendero Hart barrel, 1-9 twist. It shoots 160 ABs well above 3000 and if I hold still, .3 groups. It's heavy. Has a nightforce NXS on it. But it shoots great.

I would like to get 180 burgers to shoot in it but the 160 ABs shoot so good why mess with it.

We've only killed one bull with it. I built it for my dad for when he's older (already 71) he can sit and shoot a little further at the elk.

I also got him a kimber mountain ascent at 6.5 pounds. He is set for some killing for quite some time.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk