7mm vs 300 win mag

Recently picked up a Tikka roughtech 300 win with a Swaro scope for $1000. Thinking I want to sell the Tikka for a Tikka 7mm rem. I hunt antelope doe-elk mostly. If I kept the 300, what bullet weight would you use for those animals in the 300? Or would you trade it in and get a 7mm rem?

180 is kind of the standard for a factory twist 300WM. 7mm mag might be slightly advantageous for what your main targets are in less recoil. The animals won't know the difference! I probably wouldn't go belted mag at all for pronghorn and cow elk - but there's nothing wrong with it if that's what you like to shoot.

TheHammer

WKR
I run custom loads out of my 300 from unknown munitions with 200lrx’s @ 3052-3056fps*. If I could do it all over again knowing my max ethics is 600yds then I’d choose to do the 175lrx. If factory loads are your thing. You’d have to see what the gun likes and 180s are the standard. As for trading for a 7mm. I’m a 30caliber guy but you would have less recoil if that is a concern. The 7mm is a fine cartridge if that is your round of choice, awesome. If not I don’t think most animals would know the difference between the two.

Last edited:

kevin11mee

Lil-Rokslider
Both are excellent cartridges. I personally prefer shooting 200 grain bullets from my .300 win mag but I've shot as light as 150. In my opinion, the .300 Win mag is like the 12ga shotgun; versatile and great for everything.

Bowhuntone

Lil-Rokslider
Either will work I use 300 win mag with 215 bergers but have also used 180 accubonds

Jon Boy

WKR
Go 300 win or jump down to a 7/08, 270, 308, 30/06 etc never saw anything the 7 mag could do that my 7/08 or 284s couldn't with far less recoil and powder. The 300 winny just kills different but comes with a recoil and powder use that I don't like. This is all if you hand load of course.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

EcoastDG

FNG
I have Tikkas in 300 win, 7 Rem Mag, and 7mm-08. If recoil isn’t an issue or you if use a suppressor or muzzle brake, the 300 win is hard to beat for utility. As stated before, it’s like the twelve gauge of rifle calibers.
Sounds like you already have a sweet setup. I’ve been shooting 205 Berger Elites from Unknown Munitions and 180 accubonds with good results.

RadDad

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 7 REM Mag and absolutely love it. That’s said, the 300 Win is a great all around gun. Probably a little overkill for what you hunt now, but what about in the future? Always good to have a caliber you can grow into rather than be limited by. Plus, then you have an excuse to get a rifle chambered in something lighter down the road.

Not sure if you have a brake on the Tikka? A buddy has the Hunter in 300 Win and it came without a brake. It kicked like a mule so he has a local smith mill him some threads and put a brake on. World of difference there. Also, fyi, he took a pronghorn last year with that same rifle. Clean shot to the vitals with no real meat damage to speak of.

-RadDad

Last edited:

Mulyhuntr

WKR
I'd go 6.5 creed if you don't reload. Will kill both critters you intend to hunt with low recoil and easy to find ammo.

I went with the 300wm on my tikka roughtech. It's just the best gun for elk and moose. Ammo is easy to find but a little expensive. Usually shoot once before season to ensure your still on target, then your only shooting maybe 5 bullets all year for kill shots. If you want to get good at shooting go something lighter but if you want to shoot and kill big game, the 300 is the standard. Get a recoil pad and muzzle break and the recoil will be fine for a couple shots. I have been building a dope chart for this 300 tikka and I love it.

Attachments

• 20230130_004902.jpg
    20230130_004902.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 38

LeftyWilbury

Lil-Rokslider
i'd go find some ammo and shoot the 300WM. is it accurate and/or do you shoot it well. yes - keep the gun. no - get something different.

i have both 7RM and 300WM tikkas, and a 308 tactical. i use the 308 for antelope because i can dial in any distance i can shoot at. i use the mags when deer/elk hunting only because i don't want to lug around the 12lb tactical 308. if tikka would make me a LH 308 roughtech i'd leave the magnums on the wall.

not much difference between the 7RM or 300WM for most of us when pulling the trigger.

Choupique

WKR
I wouldn't sell a 300 win mag to buy a 7 rem mag. Both are great north America do everything calibers.

If you're restricted to factory ammo, stick with what you have. If you reload, stick with what you have. Any change between the two at this point is more preference than practicality. Both are more than enough gun for your needs if you're fine with the recoil or have a way to reduce it. It is really nice to reload and make some light loads for a magnum cartridge tho.

WCB

WKR
For 99% of hunting situations with factory ammo IMO there is really ZERO difference between the two. I mainly shoot a 7rem with 160gr Federal Trophy Bonded...compare that to the same projectile but 180gr 300win (I also have and shoot)....& the 7 rem is slightly better in the wind, only a couple inches difference in drop at 500yds, velocity is within 20fps or so @ 500, energy is about 200ftlbs lower in the 7 mag but still over 1500 @ 500.

I have both of these calibers in the exact same platform down to scope, rings, bipod, and sling. Real world shooting I don't even note a difference in recoil. Not saying one doesn't recoil more than the other but it is in no way for me noticeable.

With all that said you are gaining nothing by switching to a 7rem.