7mm wsm

Wapiti1

WKR
To the OP, it's a good idea, but I think the .300 WSM overshadowed it in a time when 7mm's were hamstrung by the slow standard twist in the barrel.

Interestingly, the 7mm RSAUM gained a cult following from some shooters that like the shorter case and longer neck. They say that it fits the long high BC bullets better.

Jeremy

Tahoe1305

WKR
I built one in this fall. I reload for a dozen or so cartridges and have used good brass and not so good brass.

I think it depends what you want to use it for. I use mine for hunting. I personally don’t care if I get 10 loads per case. I’m actually fine with as low as 3. Especially when it costs .80/ for Winchester brass and sometimes good deals on Hornady.

My hand loads with both have produced sub .5” groups without issue. I do have some loose primer pockets for what I access to be “not very hot” loads after the second use with Hornady. But again it’s so cheap and I am not cranking out 1000 rounds a year for hunting so it works for me.

I think another plus on the 7wsm is you can find relatively cheap factory ammo (even now). I’ve bought some on dvor in recent weeks for $31 a box.

I think the 7 wsm is a highly under rated round and am stoked to have one on my wall. I debated between it and SAUM and am happy with my choice. If I was doing LR target matches maybe a different story.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
If ADG, Peterson or Lapua made brass for it. The 7 WSM and the 6.5 WSM would be way more popular. Hell, when ADG make some 300 WSM brass this year you will see a bigger following for it as well.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I never had a WSM, but do have a 7 SAUM. I will never be without a 7 SAUM. I love it.

If you like the 7 WSM, get it.

B23

WKR
If ADG, Peterson or Lapua made brass for it. The 7 WSM and the 6.5 WSM would be way more popular. Hell, when ADG make some 300 WSM brass this year you will see a bigger following for it as well.
You could put me down for at least 500 pieces of 300WSM brass if anyone can twist the arm of Lapua to make it.

I'll bet that ADG 300WSM brass sells out lickity split once it hits the market and that's assuming it even makes it to the market it may all be spoken for already.

The 7WSM needs a medium or long action to really shine with the heavier 180-195gr bullets and a 1:8.4 or faster twist. So COAL 3.2” is needed to really take advantage of all that extra case capacity.

the limitations of a short action and Mag made the RSAUM more efficient from that true SA platform. And IMO target shooters are all about the efficiency!

When the wsm first came out they didn’t feed well in Remington magazines, they do better with Center feed but then you loose mag capacity. The Tikka action and Mag feed is really ideal for a WSM! Look at HCA for a sweet WSM conversion on a Tikka.

Please expand on that? I see that comment a lot, but rarely see anyone detail why they don't like it. Most parrot something they heard. I suspect you don't like it from first hand experience. Probably a topic for another thread, but what do you look for in brass?

Jeremy
There's a LOT of unfounded hatred toward Hornady brass, its true that the primer pockets will get loose with really hot overpressured loads but there's an easy fix.. don't rod the piss out if it.
I'm using it in my 7wsm and with a 22" barrel I got up to 2925 with 195's, super hot load and it took a few firings with ejector marks to get the pockets kinda loose
I backed off to a velocity of 2850 and the same test cases are over 12 firings now.

I think the 7 wsm is the best 7 out there, the ridiculous accuracy and stupid ease of tuning is unreal.
I've owned a saum and while its also an awesome round, the wsm kicks its butt.
Build it on a LA and you'll be set, I'm loading 195's right at 3.2

Sphusmc13

FNG
I love my abolt 7mm wsm. It was my first rifle bought for my by my stepdad when I was turning 12. For a few years ammo was an annoyance, because it was never in stock in Wisconsin. Two years ago when Gander World went out of business in Green Bay, i bought every box they had!

WCB

WKR
IMO Short Mags are over rated for the guy that wants to shoot a factory gun and factory ammunition. There is basically zero benefit to a WSM with a higher cost to the ammunition.

As someone mentioned above for the higher grain weight bullets maybe when handloading you would see a benefit. But again calibers do not getting super popular from hand loaders (for mass production in firearms and factory ammunition) And yes I understand that many now popular calibers were "wildcats" at one time. But even then they get commercialized into common grain weights with standardized pressures and velocities.

zrodwyo

Lil-Rokslider
I run Hornady brass on my 7 WSM.

If I get so much as the slightest ejector mark on the brass it won’t hold a primer.

My wife killed her first elk last week with the 7 WSM running factory Hornady precision hunter ammo. Perfect lung shot at 530 yards. It died but nowhere as quick as a big .30!

38324667dd0a17273a4a660957a64029.jpg

ldmay375

FNG
I personally like the cartridge. It took me awhile to try the WSMs. My first was a 325, the second was the 7mm.
I would still like to have a Kimber Montana in 7mm WSM.

Why isn’t/wasn’t the 7mm wsm more popular? One of the few calibers with ammo available here in SE Idaho

Rcol317

FNG
Classified Approved
I was going to post the question but found this post. I'm puzzled as well at the new rage of the 7 SAUM, I've shot both but now only have the 7WSM. Brass has been a little challenging but I'm using Bertram brass and seems to do good for me. Seems the me the performance is better and easier to get to accuracy with the WSM. Just interesting to see all the new interest in the 7 SAUM. Of coarse I've always been confused why the 223 took over and the 222 Rem Mag fell by the wayside when there's no comparison between the two of them either, Interesting!!!!

I personally like the cartridge. It took me awhile to try the WSMs. My first was a 325, the second was the 7mm.
I would still like to have a Kimber Montana in 7mm WSM.