7SAUM Moose bullet?

I am expecting my SAUM to be done the first week of Sept and then I will be scrambling to get a load done before my Oct 1st Washington State Moose season starts. The rifle is being setup to shoot 180 ELDM's or 180 Bergers VLDS. I plan on doing everything I can to use my bow but need to have the rifle for a backup just in case. I asked a friend who hunts with a SAUM and 180 ELDM's what he thought about that bullet on Moose and possibly under 150 yards. He said he would absolutely feel comfortable with the ELDM. Thoughts??????

While nearly anything will work for a rib shot, moose (at least here in AK) are often killed close in and at awkward angles in the brush or timber. Many at <100 yds IME. I'd prepare for that shot as the most likely case.

I've killed a few with soft'ish bullets, so I'm not against it.... but a magnum pushing a match bullet wouldn't be my first choice. LRX will be fine.

OP
Mxracer532
While nearly anything will work for a rib shot, moose (at least here in AK) are often killed close in and at awkward angles in the brush or timber. Many at <100 yds IME. I'd prepare for that shot as the most likely case.

I've killed a few with soft'ish bullets, so I'm not against it.... but a magnum pushing a match bullet wouldn't be my first choice. LRX will be fine.
Under 80 and my Bow will be used without question. Having the Rifle on hand and not having a ton of time to do load development I am considering the ELD strictly for that reason. I know I can have a 1/2moa load on the first trip to the range. The LRX id be walking into it blind.

OP
Mxracer532
Filled my Once in a lifetime Bull moose tag after 15 days. I will post more to this in a new thread but I wanted you all to know that 180g Berger VLD'S (FAILED MISERABLY) this bull I shot at 556 yards 7 times before he quit breathing. (The last 3 or 4 were insurance shots after the fiasco I had 6-7 days earlier)

Attachments

• IMG_8966.JPG
    IMG_8966.JPG
    468.4 KB · Views: 65

Fotis

FNG
Im thinking about 168g LRX's as I have a box of those.
This 100%! My Wyoming bull took 2 shots from my 338-378 Bee to drop this year. Load was 225 TTSX at 3150 fps. Range 150 yards. Forget soft bullets in my opinion.

Tz4nFpo.jpg

q1if1jB.jpg

notradame

Lil-Rokslider
With a 180 eldm in 7 SAUM I’ve witnessed very poor penetration on a bull elk shot right behind the shoulder at 305 yards, he died pretty quick but had the shot been 3 inches forward... who knows. I second the recommendation of the 160 accubond, or partition! but I wouldn’t hesitate on those Barnes.

TAGPUNCHER

Lil-Rokslider
Hear horror stories from the Vld's,I also thought the ELDM was a match bullet? I have shot several wither HORNADY ELDX not the M. MY VOTE doesn't count but if it did I WOULD shoot a partition.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I shot a bull elk last year with my 7 SAUM using 160 grain Partitions. The elk dropped within sight with one shot. They worked perfectly, as I expected.

I love my SAUM.