8 man or 12 man tipi....for two

DaveS

Lil-Rokslider
I have both an 8-man and a 12-man. I've had two people with cots, totes and stove in the 8-man. It works but I it's a little tight. I've also used the 8-man backpacking. With 3 guys + gear and stove the 8-man is a palace. 4 guys + gear and a stove works well but is a little tight. My 12-man is too heavy to take backpacking.

If you never plan to take it backpacking I would go with the 12-man.

Phil4

Lil-Rokslider
I've used both an 8 man and the 12 man. We run a large stove and cots and bring camp chairs along. The 12 man is significantly more spacious inside but the 8 man is doable. I agree that the footprint of 12 man is pretty big (18 feet in diameter or something close to that) but we have found no problem in our area pitching it. For me, the 12 man is luxurious and makes an incredible base camp.

I highly recommend a full liner for whatever size you choose.

What is the advantage of a wall tent for this sort of setup? The tipi seems so much more easy/flexible...Heat retention? Sorry in advance if this is a stupid question and for a quick thread diversion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bighorse

WKR
I have used the 12 with two cots and a stove for two people in SE Alaska for a few years. It's a nice shelter. When two hunters arrive at camp soaking wet and the gear starts flying and the stove starts burning, the volume is very functional. The outer perimeter is a great locations for gear boxes and firewood. The two cots fit nicely. It just plain works!

jtvl21

FNG
Would it make sense to bring a small tent or large tarp to put gear in at night? More sleeping room/less clutter in the tent.