8 man or 12 man tipi....for two

Scotto

WKR
Planning to get away from the wall tent. No doubt the main advantage is the Tipi takes up way less space in the truck and in storage, is easier to set up, take down, dry out, is lighter, and I want the ability to relocate faster/simpler. The more important need is for two guys to be comfortable with full size cots, stove, chairs and gear. May need to live in it for 2-3 weeks at a time. Used primarily as a base camp setup. I believe the 12 man will fit the needs. An 8 man obviously has a smaller footprint but will it, in your opinion, fit the criteria of comfortable space? Comfort is subjective I know. I have read several threads but am still looking for user input from those who have gone this route. The wall tent is staying home this year.
Any input is appreciated.

VernAK

WKR
Most tipi walls have a slope near 45 degrees making it impossible to put tall cots close to the wall.....a consideration for sure but for two guys the 8 man should work. I've also done drop camps where it's quite difficult to find an area large enough for the footprint of my 12 man.

Dirtydan

Lil-Rokslider
An 8 man will be plenty big enough for what you're describing. I've personally had three guys on full size cots with a tote each in an 8. The added benefit of flex pitching it down to a 6 man when real-estate is limited would steere me towards a SeekOutside.

Pootros

FNG
I've used both an 8 man and the 12 man. We run a large stove and cots and bring camp chairs along. The 12 man is significantly more spacious inside but the 8 man is doable. I agree that the footprint of 12 man is pretty big (18 feet in diameter or something close to that) but we have found no problem in our area pitching it. For me, the 12 man is luxurious and makes an incredible base camp.

I highly recommend a full liner for whatever size you choose.

OP
S

Scotto

WKR
Appreciate all the input. I have been zeroing in on the 12 for the reasons listed above. I also like the idea of pitching it down from 12 to an 8 if necessary. But, as somewhat expected, the input from users regarding the 8 man has me considering it. The other benefit I see with the SO is the sod cloth. I definitely will get the full liner and likely the bug screens.

Have you thought at all about the redcliff? That’s one of my favorite shelters they offer in this size range. Though not as big as the 12 man I would think it may have more “useable” space than a 8 man. Worth looking into.

WKR
I’ve got the Redcliff, nice deal but don’t think 3 on cots is going to fit in there.

ZDR

WKR
my 12 man is a palace for two and very comfortable for 4. this includes using the stove. W/O the stove, its huge.

wildbill

Lil-Rokslider
One thing to keep in mind take note how much room you have under your cots and size your storage totes so they slide underneath,makes a lot of difference in useable space and organizing your setup that would leave plenty of space for chairs and stove. I’ve spent plenty of nights in the cohutta wilderness with two men and stove in really crappy weather in a kifaru 8 man

horniac

FNG
I’m running a Kifura 8 man. You can fit two full size cots down the sides tight to the outside with the stove in the middle. Might be able to add a couple of low beach chairs but two camp size chairs will be cramped. Anything that touches the sloping wall tepee fabric will get wet. Fine for just sleeping but two guys hanging out in there for 2-3 weeks during inclement weather might get claustrophobic. Might be able to get more space using these cots in the non-bunk configuration:

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Dis...pZV9xBTQuqBkZXXTQ4kaAvrwEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I bought some but haven’t had a chance to set them up yet to see how much space I will gain.

I would personally go with the 12 man given the parameters for full size cots you have provided.

Horniac

OP
S

Scotto

WKR
One thing to keep in mind take note how much room you have under your cots and size your storage totes so they slide underneath,makes a lot of difference in useable space and organizing your setup that would leave plenty of space for chairs and stove. I’ve spent plenty of nights in the cohutta wilderness with two men and stove in really crappy weather in a kifaru 8 man
Good advice. I do this now in my 12 x 14 wall tent. Leaves room for a zero gravity chair if planning an extended trip.

OP
S

Scotto

WKR
Thanks for all the input. It is much appreciated. Right now I am leaning toward the 12. Just want to buy once and not feel like I need more space.

Wiscgunner

Lil-Rokslider
I’m wanting to to this exact same thing. I’m kicking around a couple of the Luxe tent options. I’ll be curious to see the replies in here!
I don’t have experience with the Luxe tipis but I do have their Polatouche tarp for an awning on my SeekOutside Cimarron. It is fine quality but compared to the SO...SO has nicer feeling fabric that is also light and the stitching is better on SO. I would have bought the tarp from SO instead if they made that style or tarp.

Voyageur

WKR
I have used both a four man and an eight man. What most people don’t take into account is the amount of space lost to a tipi’s sloping walls. Also, if you’re using the stove you will most likely have a stash of wood inside the tipi taking up additional space. The other point was made by Vern that at times it is extremely difficult to find a place with enough room to pitch the bigger tipis. On summer backpacking trips when we’re not using the stove and it’s one night and move to the next place we’ve slept three people and a dog in the four-man. In the eight man tipi we’ve done six people and three dogs. Neither situation lent it self to extended stay comfort. In cold weather my eight man tipi is most comfortable when it’s just me and my gear. We’ve done two people but it isn’t nearly as comfortable.