8 Power Binos to Accompany My SLC 15’s?

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Hey backpackers. I need a pair of light weight, rugged, and high quality 8 power binos for my bino harness. I LOVE my SLC 15s, so I’m selling my 12’s and going back to a bino harness with some 8’s with the 15s in the top of my pack. Thinking 8x42.

How are the new version of the Meopta meostars? Maven has some good reviews also. Or of course swaros to match my 15s. Just a little hard to spend that kind of money on every day carry binos for the harness that I’ll be hard on.

Really appreciate any ideas. Looking to catch a Black Friday deal and get something here soon.

Thanks!

OP
mxgsfmdpx

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Also thinking about replacing my range finder and adding it to the 8 power binos in the harness. This would obviously change the available options up from my original post. Wondering what all options are available so I can make a decision.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
As a long standing supporting vendor on this forum it would be our pleasure to discuss options and special opportunities with you. Please mention Rokslide when you call as we will honor the upcoming Black Friday Sale for you early :)
Please give us a call, 516-217-1000, if you have a few minutes.

Sonoman

FNG
I bought a pair of Kowa 8x33 genesis from cameraland. Haven't used them alot yet but the little I have I am very pleased with these binos. Thought about going bigger but really like the compactness when carrying in a harness. They are on sale and the great thing about cameraland is if you don't like them you are able to return. Called and talked with them before making a decision, good guys there.

Firehawk

WKR
I ran a Maven B2 9x45 and a Meopta Meostar 15x that past season. It was great! I'd think a Kowa Genisis (8x33 listed above or the 44), a Swaro EL (8x32), a Maven B1.2 for full size and maybe the B3 8x30 for small bino would be a great combination with your 15x.

Have fun and really important to remember, put the money into the binocular you will use primarily. For me, in Utah and Idaho, the 8x type of magnification in a good/great bino makes the most sense. I will use that bino 75%+ of the time. If hunting Coues, I could see it change to more often using the 15s. No matter what you use, make sure you can put them on a tripod as you will be using one for your 15x already. Makes a HUGE difference in my experience.

FH

OP
mxgsfmdpx

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
As a long standing supporting vendor on this forum it would be our pleasure to discuss options and special opportunities with you. Please mention Rokslide when you call as we will honor the upcoming Black Friday Sale for you early :)
Please give us a call, 516-217-1000, if you have a few minutes.
Yes thanks. I’ve bought 6 scopes from you guys now and my current tripod setup.

OP
mxgsfmdpx

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Well. After talking with @gr8fuldoug on the phone we have a pending deal on the Meopta Optika LRs in 8x50. Just waiting to hear back from Meopta on availability. Love this forum and community!

ZackP

WKR
Well. After talking with @gr8fuldoug on the phone we have a pending deal on the Meopta Optika LRs in 8x50. Just waiting to hear back from Meopta on availability. Love this forum and community!

Ive been interested in these as well. Haven’t had a chance to reach out to Meopta though, and see if they’re using better glass than what’s in the Optika HD.

TXJacob

FNG
What type of case do you carry your 15x in when they are riding in the backpack?

Tourguide

Lil-Rokslider
Did you end up getting the 8x50 Optika? I'm really leaning toward a pair but would like some good end user opinions

OP
mxgsfmdpx

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Did you end up getting the 8x50 Optika? I'm really leaning toward a pair but would like some good end user opinions
Yes I’ve owned the range finding Meoptas in 8x50s ever since.

They are fantastic and function as expected. Field of view is amazing in the 8x50. Great low light performance and clarity you’d expect from Meopta glass.

They are heavy and bulky, as most RF binos are, but well worth the wait for the advantages they offer over separate rf unit and binos.

Battery life seems good as I’ve used them quite extensively and heavily, and I’ve only had to replace one battery so far. Will probably put a new battery in before my first scouting trip in August.

They perform in the cold which is an issue for other range finding binos. I left them out overnight in minnesota where it was below zero. Walked out about 6:30 am and ranged a deer at about 550 yards. Really happy with the ranging performance overall.

I’ve also since switched my Swaro 15X56 for the Meopta 15x56. I’d gone back and forth between those two binos for a couple years and have landed on the Meoptas for several reasons. I can post up on that if needed let me know.

OP
mxgsfmdpx

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
What type of case do you carry your 15x in when they are riding in the backpack?
I use a second marsupial harness without the straps in the top of the pack to hold the 15s. In their bright orange color so I can find them easily (I notoriously leave shit laying around all the time).

Tourguide

Lil-Rokslider
Yes I’ve owned the range finding Meoptas in 8x50s ever since.

They are fantastic and function as expected. Field of view is amazing in the 8x50. Great low light performance and clarity you’d expect from Meopta glass.

They are heavy and bulky, as most RF binos are, but well worth the wait for the advantages they offer over separate rf unit and binos.

Battery life seems good as I’ve used them quite extensively and heavily, and I’ve only had to replace one battery so far. Will probably put a new battery in before my first scouting trip in August.

They perform in the cold which is an issue for other range finding binos. I left them out overnight in minnesota where it was below zero. Walked out about 6:30 am and ranged a deer at about 550 yards. Really happy with the ranging performance overall.

I’ve also since switched my Swaro 15X56 for the Meopta 15x56. I’d gone back and forth between those two binos for a couple years and have landed on the Meoptas for several reasons. I can post up on that if needed let me know.
Excellent! I'm torn between this and the 8x56 leica. My older geovids have trouble ranging in rain and snow, how was the meopta??

I bought the meopta 15s a few years ago and compared them to my buddies swaro 15x56s last season and I can't see the difference, meopta is a great deal really.

OP
mxgsfmdpx

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Excellent! I'm torn between this and the 8x56 leica. My older geovids have trouble ranging in rain and snow, how was the meopta??

I bought the meopta 15s a few years ago and compared them to my buddies swaro 15x56s last season and I can't see the difference, meopta is a great deal really.
In my experience Leica and Swaro just don’t match up to Meopta in ruggedness and overall durability. Snow and sleet were no issue for the Optika LRs for two fall hunts so far.

tracker12

WKR
I love my 8X42 SLCs. They are on my chest and either a spotter to 15s on the tripod