8 PP stuck in the Colorado point creep

Wingshooter

Lil-Rokslider
A friend and I have 8PP for elk in Colorado and were thinking ML hunt for a decent bull we have been successful in Montana in 2012 and started drawing points. As time goes by I am thinking of putting in for archery this coming year because I don't want to wait until I am 60 to burn my points. The million dollar question is through my research it looks like unit 66 is a good bet for a draw with 8 PP, I hunted 55 for cow elk a few years ago and there were ton of hunters. I don't need a 300" bull to be happy a hunt with reasonably undisturbed animals and a 250" bull would be awesome from and Ohio flatlander point of view. Is 66 capable of this I am 41 and my buddy is a few years behind me we are in good shape and motivated.

elkocd

Lil-Rokslider
At least you don't have 13 like me :( Wish I woulda coulda used them a long time ago.

I'd share them with my son if I could, but CO doesn't average. Just keep giving CO $ until I can finally get out in the next 10 years :)

bbright

FNG
A friend and I have 8PP for elk in Colorado and were thinking ML hunt for a decent bull we have been successful in Montana in 2012 and started drawing points. As time goes by I am thinking of putting in for archery this coming year because I don't want to wait until I am 60 to burn my points. The million dollar question is through my research it looks like unit 66 is a good bet for a draw with 8 PP, I hunted 55 for cow elk a few years ago and there were ton of hunters. I don't need a 300" bull to be happy a hunt with reasonably undisturbed animals and a 250" bull would be awesome from and Ohio flatlander point of view. Is 66 capable of this I am 41 and my buddy is a few years behind me we are in good shape and motivated.
Sent you a pm. Lmk if you decide to go.

I wouldn't write off units simply because you have 8pp. Getting out of the OTC units makes a difference. I've been covered up in elk in units that take 2-4pp for NR. You might think that you are wasting your "time spent" accruing points by drawing that "low" but if you are successful then it was not wasted. If you have $20 for dinner that doesn't mean you cannot have a good meal for $10.

Our ML rules are pretty strict so you need to buy one early that is CO legal and get proficient using it. ML tags are ML ONLY you cannot use archery equipment even though archery season is running concurrently.

That said, come on out! You will have fun and make memories! Which is what it all comes down to.

tdhanses

WKR
Do your research, I’d of spent your points years ago and be over 50% to doing the same hunt again with what you have and no I won’t tell you what unit.

I have 13 and feel the same way as you. I have also been looking at 66. Have a friend who hunted it last year and had a great hunt. I think a 250" bull is easily achievable in 66. I say go for it. I have a pretty good OTC spot in Colorado so have no need to "burn" my points cause I am hunting every year.

elkocd

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, real bummer. I'll trade ya for my 6 and you can rid yourself of that burden!

We could pretty much draw the same units. Really not much between 6 and 13. At least not archery...

If I had 6 I would just go hunting next year. At 13 I'm just chasing at this point. I know what unit I'm going to use them in and have spent a bunch of time in the unit. With this many points I will not hunt a unit that I don't have confidence in taking a 340+ bull in.