80 vs 70lb -real world speed/KE differences

unchained

Lil-Rokslider
I've been shooting 80 since a gifted mid 90s High County and never saw the need to come down. I like the higher holding weight. I think the one good thing to come from these social media guys pushing 80lb bows is more companies have come out with suitable arrows recently.

Felix40

WKR
When I got back into compounds about 4 years ago, I tried 70# and it felt like nothing compared to traditional bows around 60#. I found a good deal on an 80# bow and Ive been shooting it since. I added about 100 grains to my arrow setup and still gained 10 fps. All things being equal a heavier arrow will broadhead tune easier, have less wind drift, and penetrate better....plus its fun to shoot an arrow with as much energy as possible and Im not afraid to admit that it makes me feel cool.

Brendan

WKR
For some guys, 80 is just as easy as 60 is for some others. I can draw 80, have shot 80# bows, the reason I don't (other than not needed) is that I like the same DW on all of my bows, and there's a big difference between Elk at the beginning of September wearing light clothes and having been shooting all summer, and then trying to draw on a whitetail from a saddle 20' up a tree in the end of December wearing bulky clothing when I'm freezing cold and haven't been shooting nearly as much...

Test it this way. Sit flat on your ass feet out in front of you. Can you draw an 80# bow slowly easily and controlled without straining and sky drawing? If not, I'd avoid it unless it's a "Special Purpose" setup....

Also - if I want to shoot an Archery event like TAC or the R100 and use my hunting bow. Or shoot a big 3D shoot with lots of targets, you have to be a strong guy who shoots a lot to where your form doesn't start to suffer over that shoot.

Also - if I want to shoot an Archery event like TAC or the R100 and use my hunting bow. Or shoot a big 3D shoot with lots of targets, you have to be a strong guy who shoots a lot to where your form doesn't start to suffer over that shoot.

Used to be an Iron Man shoot around here that went all weekend. It was 20 3d, 56 field, 60 indoor. I used my 82# hunting bow cause I thought I was a badass. Did it all in one day, that indoor 300 went to hell.

I sit back and wonder if that one day might have taken a year or two from my archery lifespan.