80% vs. 85% let off?

MT257

WKR
I recently got a bow that has 85% let off, normally I shoot 80%. Is there any differences that may arise other than holding weight? I went out and shot the other day with the 85% and it seemed I was all over the place compared to how I normally shoot perfromance wise. Is this to be expected or just a change I'll have to get used to?

Brendan

WKR
Lower holding weight can be less accurate. In general, it's why target archers run a lower letoff / higher holding weight.

What you might want to try is putting some extra pressure into the back wall, think of a consistent pull, experiment with adding another couple pounds and see what it does for float and accuracy.

OP
M

MT257

WKR
I’m a half turn from being maxed. I shy away from max due to in the past creating shoulder issues pulling too much weight.

He is referring to you adding back tension to your hold, not adding draw weight. Once at full draw try to continue to pull a little. If your holding 10# at full draw you can pull into the backwall and hold higher poundage from the pressure the backwall creates. Only problem can be riser flex, some bows are worse for it than others.

Brendan

WKR
Was about to say what @Billy Goat said. Don't adjust the draw weight, just draw back into the valley, then start gradually pulling into the back wall harder and see what it does for your float and accuracy.

SoDaky

WKR
I can shoot both fairly well.I go in cycles between them frankly.The 80s prevent me from getting lazy(holding)and allowing form tocollapse.In late season,when very cold,I have on occasion gone back to 85s.

wapitibob

WKR
Higher letoff = lower string tension at full draw = a whole lot easier to impart irregularities into the shot. The difference between 80 and 85 is negligible, 65 to 85 is where you tend to see the difference, and it's not all the time. You'll just see an occasional "wth". For hunting I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Zac

WKR
You can get a tension activated release and set it cold. You could also set more rotation on a hinge if your using it to pull through the shot.

Zac

WKR
What bow are you shooting? Should be an easy fix with mods.

Zac

WKR
I have the same. I used 80 percent mods and got a thicker Gas String. Gas told me the more serving or string in the cam channel the higher the poundage. Jumped about 2 lbs, which increased hold weight a little more. The HS3 is reading between 10 and 15. You could always twist up your cables a bit, or just increase your poundage with another mod. 75 lbs 80 percent would give you plenty.

gretch6364

Lil-Rokslider
I’m a half turn from being maxed. I shy away from max due to in the past creating shoulder issues pulling too much weight.

I made the change this year to a 65lbs bow after shooting 70lbs maxed for 20 years. The speed difference is negligible and it feels like a cake walk to shoot.

chasewild

WKR
Mathews VXR 31.5

Found this thread in a crisis moment (if you can call it that). I bought the traverse this spring and I shoot every day -- it's well tuned with gas strings. I have the 85% mods right now and I cannot get consistent with it. Every group has one or two WTF arrows and most of the time the group is not where I'm aiming. I shoot a tension release with a heavy breaking point (i.e. I'm pulling hard).

I called my shop (Jeremy in Farmington -- he's honestly been a savior of a bow tech) and he said the 75% mods should really help the issue for my style of shot (heavy breaking point tension shooter). So, hopefully, I'll get those on and report back.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
One is legal in your state and one is not.

So I have always wondered how is this enforced. By a scale or by what the mods say. The scales are only semi accurate and the mods can be adjusted by twisting and untwisting strings and cables.

I just got my 80% mods in on my rx3 and vxr but havent messed with them yet. Want to see if increasing my holding weight helps me not get lazy.

fatlander

WKR
So I have always wondered how is this enforced. By a scale or by what the mods say. The scales are only semi accurate and the mods can be adjusted by twisting and untwisting strings and cables.

I just got my 80% mods in on my rx3 and vxr but havent messed with them yet. Want to see if increasing my holding weight helps me not get lazy.

“Manufacturer’s specified letoff” is how the law reads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
M

MT257

WKR
“Manufacturer’s specified letoff” is how the law reads.

In my state I have to shoot 80%. But stores rarely carry those mods, which is beside the point. So my question is for example adding twists to an 80% let off bow your technically shooting a bow with more than 80% let off, most bows out there after being tuned are not the let off on the cam because twists have been added and removed if that makes sense.

fatlander

WKR
In my state I have to shoot 80%. But stores rarely carry those mods, which is beside the point. So my question is for example adding twists to an 80% let off bow your technically shooting a bow with more than 80% let off, most bows out there after being tuned are not the let off on the cam because twists have been added and removed if that makes sense.

Your state is the state law I was quoting. It says “manufacturer’s specified letoff.” So if the bow company says your mods are 80% mods, you’re good to go.

chasewild

WKR

The traverse I'm shooting with 85% mods is actually 82% let off. I wonder if the 75% mods will actually be 72%?