80% vs 85% Letoff

N2TRKYS

WKR
What speed difference are y’all seeing between the two in the Mathews V3 31 and the Hoyt Ventum 33?

Thanks

OP
N

N2TRKYS

WKR
With as much tinkering as people do, I figured somebody would have tested this by now.

I tested it on a VXR, I can't find where I wrote it down but if I recall correctly it was the same.

The TRX is slower with the 70v versus the 80. I'm pretty certain all they are doing is playing with cam rotation and shortening the draw a little bit, thus the slower speeds. I haven't checked it on a draw board to be certain, feels a touch different.

OP
N

N2TRKYS

WKR
I tested it on a VXR, I can't find where I wrote it down but if I recall correctly it was the same.

The TRX is slower with the 70v versus the 80. I'm pretty certain all they are doing is playing with cam rotation and shortening the draw a little bit, thus the slower speeds. I haven't checked it on a draw board to be certain, feels a touch different.

I wonder what the point of having the switchable let offs, if it doesn’t change anything noticeable?

I wonder what the point of having the switchable let offs, if it doesn’t change anything noticeable?

It changes the letoff.

In the east everyone wants as much letoff as possible. Guys would be all over 90-95% if they could get it. In many western states anything past 80% is illegal. Makes it so you can produce one bow, one cam, and make everyone happy.

Except I'd still like some 60 or 65% let off options.

Reactions: Zac
OP
N

N2TRKYS

WKR
It changes the letoff.

In the east everyone wants as much letoff as possible. Guys would be all over 90-95% if they could get it. In many western states anything past 80% is illegal. Makes it so you can produce one bow, one cam, and make everyone happy.

Except I'd still like some 60 or 65% let off options.

A 70-75 to 85%, I could understand. 5% difference isn’t that much. I won’t notice any difference in holding it. If there’s no speed difference, then there’s no point of it.

Anyway, just wondering what the speed difference was between the two.

Thanks

A 70-75 to 85%, I could understand. 5% difference isn’t that much. I won’t notice any difference in holding it. If there’s no speed difference, then there’s no point of it.

Thanks

I can guarantee you there's guys that when looking at a bow and one says 80% letoff and another says 85, they will take the 85. Doesn't matter if the numbers are even accurate. It's pretty easy to manipulate holding weight to some extent.

Many things in archery and every other industries are done not with good purpose, but to give the consumer what they want, or think they need.

OP
N

N2TRKYS

WKR
I can guarantee you there's guys that when looking at a bow and one says 80% letoff and another says 85, they will take the 85. Doesn't matter if the numbers are even accurate. It's pretty easy to manipulate holding weight to some extent.

Many things in archery and every other industries are done not with good purpose, but to give the consumer what they want, or think they need.

Too bad it’s never with stuff that I like/want. 😂

Fire_9

WKR

Thanks

Some states require 80% or less

I prefer a lower number 75 or 80, in hunting situations
If I have to disappoint, the shot is easier for my shoulders

Didn't check, usually it's a wash.
^^^ This. From a numbers (speed) perspective, 80 vs 85 is pretty much irrelevant...however if you're referring to comfort and/or the ability to remain solid in the wall, I'd choose 80 all day. The higher the let-off, consequently also higher is the tendency to get lazy on the back end.

OP
N

N2TRKYS

WKR
^^^ This. From a numbers (speed) perspective, 80 vs 85 is pretty much irrelevant...however if you're referring to comfort and/or the ability to remain solid in the wall, I'd choose 80 all day. The higher the let-off, consequently also higher is the tendency to get lazy on the back end.

What was the speed difference on yours?

What do you mean by getting lazy on the back end?

What was the speed difference on yours?

What do you mean by getting lazy on the back end?
On my hunting bows over the years, the speed difference from 80-85% has been so minimal it's laughable...less then 2-3 fps is all.

With regards to being "lazy", what I mean is that when at full draw and pulling against the back wall...a higher let-off more often than not will allow you to get too 'comfortable' and then you inherently relax that shoulder just enough that either your shot starts to break down or the cams creep on you, as opposed to a lower let-off (higher holding weight) which encourages you to keep pulling into the wall.

OP
N

N2TRKYS

WKR
On my hunting bows over the years, the speed difference from 80-85% has been so minimal it's laughable...less then 2-3 fps is all.

With regards to being "lazy", what I mean is that when at full draw and pulling against the back wall...a higher let-off more often than not will allow you to get too 'comfortable' and then you inherently relax that shoulder just enough that either your shot starts to break down or the cams creep on you, as opposed to a lower let-off (higher holding weight) which encourages you to keep pulling into the wall.

I’ll definitely take that 2-3 fps. I tried actively pulling against my string when shooting a few times. The inconsistency of it got me out of that bad habit.

Thanks for your explanation.

I’ll definitely take that 2-3 fps. I tried actively pulling against my string when shooting a few times. The inconsistency of it got me out of that bad habit.

I could see situations where higher let-off might be an advantage, but for me on a hunting setup...I prefer to be at 75% if the particular cam system allows it, if not then 80% - never higher.

Zac

WKR

That is not a bad habit. A bad habit is just hanging out against the back wall and plucking your index release.