<$800 rifle

OP
D

dguns18

FNG
Picked up a Tikka T3x Lite in .308.

If you have a Scheels near you, they are currently selling for $680, with a $75 rebate from Tikka, and a $150 dollar gift card to Scheels. Puts the price around $455 plus tax. Only on In-stock models. Also have compacts and the stainless version. I called ahead the night before, and they set one aside for me as it was the last one in stock.

Will post pics and initial groups when it is set up.

Thanks!

Rich M

WKR
You should be very happy with that one.

Put a better scope on it - Viper or better as minimum glass. The SWFA scopes will track better than most.

OP
D

dguns18

FNG
You should be very happy with that one.

Put a better scope on it - Viper or better as minimum glass. The SWFA scopes will track better than most.

The only other scope I've used is a Bushnell 3200 10x Mil-dot, so the glass on the vortex looks pretty good to me. To get the same features (FFP, reticle, 4-16) in vortex of higher glass, I'd be up in the Viper PST Gen 2 line, which is a little pricey for me. Realistically, I'll use this scope this season, and look to pick up a SWFA 3-15 FFP around black friday.

Thanks

Rich M

WKR
The only other scope I've used is a Bushnell 3200 10x Mil-dot, so the glass on the vortex looks pretty good to me. To get the same features (FFP, reticle, 4-16) in vortex of higher glass, I'd be up in the Viper PST Gen 2 line, which is a little pricey for me. Realistically, I'll use this scope this season, and look to pick up a SWFA 3-15 FFP around black friday.

Thanks

Do what you want - your money - your gun. The diamondback will fit the bill and lots of guys are happy with them.

BUT if you are gonna just buy another scope later, consider just buying that other scope and maybe save the few $ as opposed to buying 2.

OP
D

dguns18

FNG
Do what you want - your money - your gun. The diamondback will fit the bill and lots of guys are happy with them.

BUT if you are gonna just buy another scope later, consider just buying that other scope and maybe save the few $ as opposed to buying 2.

I already have the Vortex, which would get me through the season. Ill check the tracking and zero over the next month and go from there.

As for the rifle, shot it today with 168 gr Federal Gold Medal Match. Averaged 2569FPS.

Shot a about a 1.75" group at 200yds. I got home and for fun, checked to make sure it was free floated, which it was not. About halfway up the fore-end, is a barrel support. Should i keep it in contact with the barrel or take the dremel to it and free float it?

Rich M

WKR
10-4, much understood now.

IMO, if it shoots groups, then you might not need to do anything to it.

archp625

WKR
I love my Tikka T3. Don't think you could go wrong. You are really running out of time on getting a new gun. Working on breaking it in and finding an accurate load is time consuming. The fall is almost here. Most guys have figured this out months ago.

OXN939

WKR
Hello,

I am in the market for a new rifle in the sub $800 dollar category, would prefer .308 as I have ammo and reloading supplies already. Am open to 6.5 creedmoor if it would offer benefits.

Would be using this for a WY antelope hunt this fall. Plan on mounting a vortex diamondback tactical 4-16 scope for reference. I am looking at the TIkka T3x lite (with Cabelas discounts and rebates, it would be about $550 bucks) Also have seen the Browning X-bolt stalker, Bergara b14 hunter. Any other reccomendations for another rifle or one over another.

Thanks

Traded into a Howa 1500 Alpine a few months ago and just finished getting her into shape. She was pretty good initially- MOA ish groups, crisp but fairly heavy trigger. Spot bedded the recoil lug and rear tang, cut about one coil off the trigger spring, and now she's sub-MOA all day long and the trigger cleanly breaks at 3 pounds even.

With a Vortex Diamondback 2-7x35 in Talley one piece lightweight mounts, she's right at 7 pounds hunting weight. If you look around, you can find used ones for $750ish.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-08-25 at 8.43.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-25 at 8.43.15 PM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 30

Northwinds308

Lil-Rokslider
Traded into a Howa 1500 Alpine a few months ago and just finished getting her into shape. She was pretty good initially- MOA ish groups, crisp but fairly heavy trigger. Spot bedded the recoil lug and rear tang, cut about one coil off the trigger spring, and now she's sub-MOA all day long and the trigger cleanly breaks at 3 pounds even.

With a Vortex Diamondback 2-7x35 in Talley one piece lightweight mounts, she's right at 7 pounds hunting weight. If you look around, you can find used ones for $750ish.

Off topic but I guess I have to bed mine. It's been a dog to try and load ammo for and I've had trouble getting 1 MOA. Very picky barrel. If you saw that much success just spot bedding then I'll have to give that a try.

OXN939

WKR
Off topic but I guess I have to bed mine. It's been a dog to try and load ammo for and I've had trouble getting 1 MOA. Very picky barrel. If you saw that much success just spot bedding then I'll have to give that a try.

Spot bedding has become my go to- basically just all around the recoil lug to about 1/2" forward of it, and then by the rear action screw on the tang. Much easier and cleaner to do, and you gain the vast majority of the benefit of bedding the entire thing.

Buzby

WKR
Along with the already mentioned Tika, and Ruger American, look at the Kimber hunter.

I'm curious if you have an update on your new Tikka? Did you free float it? Have your groupings changed? Looking to either get a Bergara hunter or a tikka lite stainless in 300 WM

EmperorMA

WKR
I would go Browning.
Me, too.

I don’t like having no choice but a long action with Tikka and I personally cannot stand the Tikka stock, so replacing it adds a great deal of expense I’d much rather allocate to better glass.

With Browning, I get a short action and an excellent stock that mitigates recoil, rather than exacerbates it.

Do you guys like the Brownings over the Bergaras? I'm thinking about an xbolt in 270wsm or 280. Or maybe Bergara Ridge in 270 or 308. Or prehaps even step up to a Highlander in 280ai, which is more intriguing.

Jcte

Last edited:
My current rifle is a Savage 110 in 30-06. I bought it "used" at a pawnshop for $125. I say "used" because the rifling still looks sharp and I doubt it had more than a box or two shot through it before it got to me. New stock, new glass are all it needs, but I zeroed and hunted with the original stock and scope.

EmperorMA

WKR
Do you guys like the Brownings over the Bergaras? I'm thinking about an xbolt in 270wsm or 280. Or maybe Bergara Ridge in 270 or 308. Or prehaps even step up to a Highlander in 280ai, which is more intriguing.
I do prefer the Browning X-Bolt.

I’ve been around nearly a dozen X-Bolt rifles of various guises and ALL of them shot sub-MOA with factory ammunition, right out of the box. They are light and feel great in hand, as well.