$81.75

For a qualifying license, just to be able to apply for a preference point. I realize they need money but dang I'd like to get something in return, instead of a small game permit. I'm not driving 1100 miles to squirrel hunt.

I would be so much happier if I could buy the OTC $100 bear tag instead for a qualifying license.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I said the exact same thing a few weeks ago. Then I was told by several residents I was whining. LOL

I don't mind paying for things I use. Not at all. Bear tag would have been a great way to go - esp. since it seems they are trying to encourage people to hunt bears.

jm1607

WKR
My understanding is that you don't have to pay to keep the points. You can apply with the number of points you have and stay at that point level going forward without buying additional points for $100/year/species. It sucks obviously, but you don't have to pay to keep your points.

To @jm1607's point, maybe we'll see an increase in applications for the random draw desert sheep hunts since they're not points based and won't cost the point fee for residents or nonresidents.

For sure. DS went from about 1 in 400 to 1 in 1800 last year. With people dropping out of RM like me, I bet it goes well over 1 in 2000 which sucks but whatever, it hardly costs anything

Last edited:

Ratbeetle

WKR
I said the exact same thing a few weeks ago. Then I was told by several residents I was whining. LOL

I don't mind paying for things I use. Not at all. Bear tag would have been a great way to go - esp. since it seems they are trying to encourage people to hunt bears.

And if I remember right, it was explained to you in that thread that more people are likely to want a small game license to hunt grouse while chasing elk, deer, etc. than they are to want a bear tag...not to mention the bear tag is more expensive. Just because it isn't useful to you doesn't mean it's not the best option for most people. And it does sound like nothing but whining...CO brings its regs more in line with other Western states and guys lose their minds.

Meanwhile CO provides more opportunity than just about any other state for NR. Take Elk for example, 26% of the draw went to NR last year. You're welcome to apply to another state where they'll charge you for a hunting license and only let you have 10% of the draw tags.

Fatcamp

WKR
WY is the WORST. I apply to almost every state in the west and WY makes me cringe every year. I think only California has a worse draw system

What's funny is I don't mind the $81.75 hunting license at all, I just hate all the other CO crap lol. They've priced me out of the big 3 @ 4 points. The good news is I'm $300+ richer each year! It's like I got a raise ;) And I can put in for Desert Sheep!

What is it you guys hate about Wyoming?

Pretty easy to understand I thought.

jm1607

WKR
What is it you guys hate about Wyoming?

Pretty easy to understand I thought.

It's easy to understand, it's just pure BS.

People with max points and people with zero points have the same draw odds. Not sure which crackhead came up with that one. Wilderness areas non-residents can't access. Most higher end units don't even offer a NR tag in the random draw making them unobtainable (as in 0%) to non-max NR point holders. Hell, even new applyers putting in for strip tags of the Henry Mountains have a chance! Point creep worse than every other state except for maybe Colorado. Recent price hikes including doubling some tag prices like Bison which went to over $4k. I'd put in for Bison but I don't want to win, damn! Overall app prices more than doubled this year with the addition of CC fees. They priced me out of Goat and Bison just like CO priced me out of the big 3.. Just not worth paying hundreds when they don't even have points. I'd rather play the Idaho game or just buy some raffle tickets..

WY blows. WY residents usually get their panties in a wad when you bad mouth their system, but besides the west coast it is 100% the worst system in the US for NRs. Unfortunately it's a necessary evil because it's such a beautiful state and has such great game. As soon as I cache in my points though I'm out before things get even worse! ;)

Last edited:

Fatcamp

WKR
It's easy to understand, it's just pure BS.

People with max points and people with zero points have the same draw odds. Not sure which crackhead came up with that one. Wilderness areas non-residents can't access. Most higher end units don't even offer a NR tag in the random draw making them unobtainable (as in 0%) to non-max NR point holders. Hell, even new applyers putting in for strip tags of the Henry Mountains have a chance! Point creep worse than every other state except for maybe Colorado. Recent price hikes including doubling some tag prices like Bison which went to over $4k. I'd put in for Bison but I don't want to win, damn! Overall app prices more than doubled this year with the addition of CC fees. They priced me out of Goat and Bison just like CO priced me out of the big 3.. Just not worth paying hundreds when they don't even have points. I'd rather play the Idaho game or just buy some raffle tickets..

WY blows. WY residents usually get their panties in a wad when you bad mouth their system, but besides the west coast it is 100% the worst system in the US for NRs. Unfortunately it's a necessary evil because it's such a beautiful state and has such great game. As soon as I cache in my points though I'm out before things get even worse! ;)

Not sure what you mean by max and zero having the same odds. In the random draw? After the PP draw? Because in the initial draw it is a strict point based system.

I actually think that's kind of cool as it does allow everyone to have a chance in the random draw. Or maybe you are talking about draws other than deer and elk. They are the only ones I have interest in, so not sure about anything else.

You can't fairly blame WY draw system for point creep. Not relatable. I think it costs us $80 to each buy an elk and a deer point. That's really fair and well within line. Of course, if NM and ID are more your style in regards to draw structure I understand, but I have no interest in either.

Unless I am calculating it wrong, the colorado changes are not bad at all. The killer is the special draws (moose / goat / sheep). So I am new to western hunting draws. I am from NY and only hunting 5 years, last year was my first foray into the west for applications. It was scary haha, so I created a spreadsheet to track everything.
2018 colorado I applied : deer, bear, moose, elk and the habitat stamp - Cost : $142
2019 colorado I applied : deer, bear (pref only), elk, pronghorn, moose, and the habitat stamp and small game license. Including the $100 to be charged pref point for moose - total Cost : $236.75

So in reality, if you apply for multiple species its the same damn thing, unless you are applying for those special tags. Thats the difference maker.

Unless im missing something here.

OP
CX5Ranch

CX5Ranch

WKR
Do you have to buy the license to get just a preference point? Or is it just if you are applying?
Must buy the license to apply for a point. You can buy an otc elk tag or leftover with no qualifying license purchase.

OP
CX5Ranch

CX5Ranch

WKR
Unless I am calculating it wrong, the colorado changes are not bad at all. The killer is the special draws (moose / goat / sheep). So I am new to western hunting draws. I am from NY and only hunting 5 years, last year was my first foray into the west for applications. It was scary haha, so I created a spreadsheet to track everything.
2018 colorado I applied : deer, bear, moose, elk and the habitat stamp - Cost : $142
2019 colorado I applied : deer, bear (pref only), elk, pronghorn, moose, and the habitat stamp and small game license. Including the $100 to be charged pref point for moose - total Cost : $236.75

So in reality, if you apply for multiple species its the same damn thing, unless you are applying for those special tags. Thats the difference maker.

Unless im missing something here.
Last year would have cost you another 81.75. This rule is new in 2019

Last year would have cost you another 81.75. This rule is new in 2019

I get the changes. What I am saying is ALL IN for 2018 was $142. ALL IN for 2019 is : $236.75.

Remove the $100 for Moose. And 2019 is $136.75 It is actually cheaper this year than last even with the changes, IF you apply for points for multiple species

jm1607

WKR
Not sure what you mean by max and zero having the same odds. In the random draw? After the PP draw? Because in the initial draw it is a strict point based system.

I actually think that's kind of cool as it does allow everyone to have a chance in the random draw. Or maybe you are talking about draws other than deer and elk. They are the only ones I have interest in, so not sure about anything else.

You can't fairly blame WY draw system for point creep. Not relatable. I think it costs us $80 to each buy an elk and a deer point. That's really fair and well within line. Of course, if NM and ID are more your style in regards to draw structure I understand, but I have no interest in either.

Yes, everyone has the same chance in the random draw for all species. Very cool if you just start putting in. A kick in the teeth for everyone else that has been putting in for a long time and invested quite a bit of money.

I completely blame WY for point creep. Who else would I blame? How is the system not related? Every state is getting a little tougher to draw no doubt, but no reason to make it worse! AZ doesn't seem to have hardly any creep. UT doesn't have much creep.. bad odds but not much creep. CO and WY stand alone with awful creep because of their pure PP systems which are completely broken. It's only a matter of time until both states have to make major changes besides just overcharging people. The problem is it maybe 10 years till these states get their heads out of their asses.

OP
CX5Ranch

CX5Ranch

WKR
I get the changes. What I am saying is ALL IN for 2018 was $142. ALL IN for 2019 is : $236.75.

Remove the $100 for Moose. And 2019 is $136.75 It is actually cheaper this year than last even with the changes, IF you apply for points for multiple species
I am ignorant to any rules or costs other than elk. And am fairly ignorant to most of those.

UtahJimmy

WKR
Yes, everyone has the same chance in the random draw for all species. Very cool if you just start putting in. A kick in the teeth for everyone else that has been putting in for a long time and invested quite a bit of money.

I completely blame WY for point creep. Who else would I blame? How is the system not related? Every state is getting a little tougher to draw no doubt, but no reason to make it worse! AZ doesn't seem to have hardly any creep. UT doesn't have much creep.. bad odds but not much creep. CO and WY stand alone with awful creep because of their pure PP systems which are completely broken. It's only a matter of time until both states have to make major changes besides just overcharging people. The problem is it maybe 10 years till these states get their heads out of their asses.

Random draw accounts for only 25% of tag allocation. People with most points draw out before the random, then what's been allocated are even draw odds. Seems like a pretty fair system to me.

Not sure if it's the States' fault or the rise in people applying that is contributing to creep. With those two states you mention, they are the closest to Eastern states, so people are going to hunt them instead of drive through them before getting to say UT or AZ.

Rather than blame WY for point creep, I'd blame social media, the insta-bros, and the fitness hunter for point creep. Making a Western hunt cool and sexy has caused more people to take the plunge into "heading west for the first time"

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Bucky

Lil-Rokslider
The way I look at it in CO, CPW is trying to manage the herds overall. If they made it cheaper even more people would apply. They are obviously trying to reduce the number of people applying in CO this year verse last year in which I see them trying to build the herd overall. As for the cost of $100.75; whats a $100 in today's society - not much.

cnelk

WKR
Rather than blame WY for point creep, I'd blame social media, the insta-bros, and the fitness hunter for point creep. Making a Western hunt cool and sexy has caused more people to take the plunge into "heading west for the first time"

^^^^^ BOOM!^^^^^

Foldem

WKR
The issue I have with Colorado is the wide swings in pricing and policy over the last couple years and the extreme bias of price pressure on non-residents.

It went up for Residents too. I'm going to be at close to $220 nonrefundable just for me to put in for everything and build a point for the big 3 as a resident. My kids were $50 a piece too. Small price to pay in the big scheme of things for my primary hobby.