$81.75

chindits

WKR
I would strongly encourage the nonresidents to come to Colorado and hunt coyotes and bears every year. That would be a bargain for everyone. And don’t forget cat season. There is a fall and spring hunt.

Wyoming refunds the price of the tag if you dont draw.
How does it cost $800 If you dont draw?

If you add up point fees, app fees, credit card fees, and apply for all the male species and buy points for them it is over $800 non refundable to Wyoming every year. To top it off after paying those prices unless you have max points you don't even have a chance to draw a lot of the top units in the state. Oh and you have to upfront the money.

Even if you apply for only elk, deer, and antelope in Wyoming and purchase a point it is cheaper to apply for the same in Colorado and gain a point. And you get a small game license so you can now squirrel hunt ;)

Fatcamp

WKR
So the difference between CO and WY for the primary three big game animals is a difference of $40 and losing a CO small game license? That doesn't even register for me and probably won't stay the same for long. It certainly doesn't make WY a horrible draw system.

My strategy involves figuring out how to hunt 1-2 point draws for those animals while everyone else chases "THE TOP UNITS!!!!!!" Seems reasonable to me. For those wishing to hunt sheep, goats, and buffalo, I wish you the best.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Not sure what you mean by max and zero having the same odds. In the random draw? After the PP draw? Because in the initial draw it is a strict point based system.

I actually think that's kind of cool as it does allow everyone to have a chance in the random draw. Or maybe you are talking about draws other than deer and elk. They are the only ones I have interest in, so not sure about anything else.

You can't fairly blame WY draw system for point creep. Not relatable. I think it costs us $80 to each buy an elk and a deer point. That's really fair and well within line. Of course, if NM and ID are more your style in regards to draw structure I understand, but I have no interest in either.
You forgot the outfitter subsidy law. Pure garbage.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

kulpak02

FNG
I don't mind it. Coming from PA, a state where the game commission is severely underfunded due to not raising the license fees, I don't mind paying a little extra to gain the points if it will increase the quality of the hunt when I finally get there. If the money I pay is not going to benefit the wildlife, then I got a problem with it. On a side note, any one know a good unit for squirrels?
I agree with you 100% Every here wants to complain about game numbers and then complain about fees........

UtahJimmy

WKR
Does the small game license cover me for fishing? I know my tags in the past included a fishing license.

LandYacht

WKR
Does the small game license cover me for fishing? I know my tags in the past included a fishing license.

It does not. If you want to having fishing you need need to get the combo small game and fishing license.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SaHunter

FNG
I don't claim to be an expert but seems like you should have a multistate strategy these days. I have hunted Colorado almost exclusively but point creep in Co and several other states means I have applied to a non-point state(s) so in the end my dollars may not go to Colorado except as a last resort.
And then using second choice so points are not consumed even for a higher percentage cow hunt to keep accumulating points doesn't exactly help things.

Add in people can get a refund if someone gets picked in those other state(s) means Co may not get that second choice hunt money either. Now all that is left is what has to spent for points in Co.

Then factor in otc in other states. If this all sounds weird it is.

LostArra

WKR
Preference point systems in general are the problem. It is a bigger problem when the demand is high. Wyoming and Colorado do not create point creep. High demand/limited resource creates point creep. If the units with ridiculous point creep had terrible habitat and no game there would not be any creep to begin with. As mentioned above a great unit is never a secret.

I would prefer a bonus point system where past unsuccessful draws give you additional chances in a random lottery.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Does anyone know offhand if fox are considered small game, i coulda killed 2 beauties, actually probably the same one twice last fall. And also some speuce grouse and squirrels. Im bringing the .22 this fall

Bucky

Lil-Rokslider
I don't claim to be an expert but seems like you should have a multistate strategy these days. I have hunted Colorado almost exclusively but point creep in Co and several other states means I have applied to a non-point state(s) so in the end my dollars may not go to Colorado except as a last resort.
And then using second choice so points are not consumed even for a higher percentage cow hunt to keep accumulating points doesn't exactly help things.

Add in people can get a refund if someone gets picked in those other state(s) means Co may not get that second choice hunt money either. Now all that is left is what has to spent for points in Co.

Then factor in otc in other states. If this all sounds weird it is.
Doing the same thing here brother

hutty

Lil-Rokslider
The other thing to consider is that for every license they sell, regardless if you draw or not, they get money back from the Feds via pittman robertson dollars. More license sales, equals more money back from the feds.

"The remainder of the trust fund is then divided in half with 50 percent apportioned to states based on the land area of the state in proportion to the total land area of the country. The remaining 50 percent is apportioned based on the number of individual paid hunting license holders in the state in proportion to the national total.

lif

WKR
That's funny you keep going back to that, as if filling a tag is all that matters. Every state agency that issues tags will tell you that you're paying for the opportunity to hunt, not for the price of the animal. Are you suggesting that only people who kill something have the right to an opnion about fee hikes? That's bizarre logic.

Not trying to pick fights. The OP simply shared a very common frustration for NR's who hunt CO. I've seen at least five threads that were started just about this one requirement and I'm sure the phones at CPW have been slammed too. Let a guy vent already. I've seen plenty of well "Liked" members vent plenty about how many hunters they are seeing in the woods these days. That gets pretty old too.

Everyone can follow your posts to read about all the fights your NOT starting. 🤪. Welcome to IDAHO!!

ChrisS

WKR
The other thing to consider is that for every license they sell, regardless if you draw or not, they get money back from the Feds via pittman robertson dollars. More license sales, equals more money back from the feds.

"The remainder of the trust fund is then divided in half with 50 percent apportioned to states based on the land area of the state in proportion to the total land area of the country. The remaining 50 percent is apportioned based on the number of individual paid hunting license holders in the state in proportion to the national total.
Yeah, if that's how it works out, I'd rather pay the $80 license fee and not some preference point fee that doesn't generate any additional revenue.

At the least the reg changes got one guy (me) out of the sheep/goat/moose game. For $9? Sure, I'll grab points, but I have no expectation of ever drawing tag so $150 more? Nah.

Buckshotaz

Lil-Rokslider
I'm confused about buying points, if you apply for a hunt in an area and don't get drawn, don't you get a point for being unsuccessful?

Why buy the point when you can apply for a hunt and have a chance of getting drawn for that hunt?

swampokie

WKR
U spend the same amount whether u “buy” points or apply for a tag. The difference is that u must pay for the tag if u draw it. They r both 9$ app fees. After of course uve bought ur small game tax license for 81.75$