81' XTR Featherweight 7x57mm or 50' Standard 30-06 (Winchester Model 70)

Through some good fortune I have a family relative willing to sell me one of his Winchester Model 70s and I thought I would refer to more knowledgeable folks here on this forum. So you are aware, this is my first post here and my first time getting into big game hunting, so I'd love some grace.

The two rifles in question are a 1950 Standard M70 chambered in 30-06. It has been used for years, is well loved/worn but from his accounts, is a great rifle. And the second is a 1981 XTR Featherweight M70 chambered in 7mm Mauser that has been fired minimally and is essentially brand new.

My question is, if it was your choice which of these two rifles would you choose and for what reason? I plan/hope to hunt a range of game, so this won't be sitting idle, and I hope to pass it down in my family some day. Thanks ahead of time for the help!

I've attached a few photos for you.

Attachments

• image5.JPG
    image5.JPG
    358.5 KB · Views: 54
  • image6.JPG
    image6.JPG
    316.1 KB · Views: 45

Apollo117

WKR
IMO, you can't go wrong with either. Both are great rifles.

Pre-'64 model 70's are sought-after rifles. Often considered the pinnacle of craftsmanship from Winchester.

An '81 Featherweight is also a great rifle. I've got a Featherweight in 30'06. Coincidentally, this was given to me by a relative too.

Either caliber will work very well on all North American big game. 30'06 will be considerably easier to find ammo for and likely cheaper too.

7x57 Mauser is an underappreciated cartridge with a ton of history. I've got a Remington 700 chambered in 7x57 and it's one of my favorite rifles in large part due to the unique cartridge.

If I were in your shoes, I think I would pick the 1950 Model 70 in 30'06.

P.S. I envy your position very much.

OP
C
IMO, you can't go wrong with either. Both are great rifles.

Pre-'64 model 70's are sought-after rifles. Often considered the pinnacle of craftsmanship from Winchester.

An '81 Featherweight is also a great rifle. I've got a Featherweight in 30'06. Coincidentally, this was given to me by a relative too.

Either caliber will work very well on all North American big game. 30'06 will be considerably easier to find ammo for and likely cheaper too.

7x57 Mauser is an underappreciated cartridge with a ton of history. I've got a Remington 700 chambered in 7x57 and it's one of my favorite rifles in large part due to the unique cartridge.

If I were in your shoes, I think I would pick the 1950 Model 70 in 30'06.

P.S. I envy your position very much.
Thanks for the info Apollo. I know I am very very fortunate, I've done enough researching to know that both of these guns are true gems. I've been leaning towards the 30-06 just because it has the miles on it and is more sentimental. But figured I'd listen to some outside opinions before I commit.

Tuff decision. I probably would go with the pre 64 but I sure do like that 7 x 57. Glad it’s not my decision to make because as soon as I made it I would be regretting not going the other way.

rayporter

WKR
tough choice, i would have to see each rifle. the '06 is very desirable and i like the 30 cal.

i dont have a 7mm and a nearly new one would have me thinking long and hard.

the history on the old rifle might be worth the price of admission. if it has been a lot of places and took a lot of game i would want to continue adding to that history.

Last edited:
Through some good fortune I have a family relative willing to sell me one of his Winchester Model 70s and I thought I would refer to more knowledgeable folks here on this forum. So you are aware, this is my first post here and my first time getting into big game hunting, so I'd love some grace.

The two rifles in question are a 1950 Standard M70 chambered in 30-06. It has been used for years, is well loved/worn but from his accounts, is a great rifle. And the second is a 1981 XTR Featherweight M70 chambered in 7mm Mauser that has been fired minimally and is essentially brand new.

My question is, if it was your choice which of these two rifles would you choose and for what reason? I plan/hope to hunt a range of game, so this won't be sitting idle, and I hope to pass it down in my family some day. Thanks ahead of time for the help!

I've attached a few photos for you.
I own an early 80s XTR in 7x57. Very accurate, excellent deer cartridge, beautiful rifle. MOA with my handloads.

TxxAgg

WKR
Shooting a buck/bull with that 30-06 using iron sights would be special. I'd do that.

Pre 64 30-06’s are pretty common. I see them often and are not to hard to come by. The XTR 7x57 is extremely rare… I’d pick it every single time. I’ve been looking for one. And looking for one… just saying. Way fewer of the Mausers floating around than the 06’s.