870 remchoke with steel?

RdHawg

FNG
Went after some turkeys with a friend this weekend but had to use my modified choke as both my Full and Turkey choke say "Lead shot only". As California is now a "Unleaded" state I need to work this out.

1)Does anyone know why those chokes are limited?

2)Any recommendations for a superfull turkey choke that will take steel shot?

Thanks

colonel00

WKR
As I understand it, the concern is that lead will compress and "play nicer" with those more constricted chokes where as steel does not compress and could have issues in the constricted space.

Are you limited to steel only? What about other non-lead alternatives like Bismuth? While the alternatives can get a little pricey, for turkey hunting you are what, shooting only a few rounds a season? Personally I would look into some of the "heavy" shot alternatives for turkey hunting before I moved to steel if at all possible.

If indeed you are limited to steel only, maybe check out Carlson chokes. I usually just use Remchokes but I have used some of the Carlson chokes for ducks and they seem to pattern well with steel.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
As I understand it, the concern is that lead will compress and "play nicer" with those more constricted chokes where as steel does not compress and could have issues in the constricted space.

Are you limited to steel only? What about other non-lead alternatives like Bismuth? While the alternatives can get a little pricey, for turkey hunting you are what, shooting only a few rounds a season? Personally I would look into some of the "heavy" shot alternatives for turkey hunting before I moved to steel if at all possible.

If indeed you are limited to steel only, maybe check out Carlson chokes. I usually just use Remchokes but I have used some of the Carlson chokes for ducks and they seem to pattern well with steel.

X2 this most lead alternatives will group better than lead.

StrutNut

Lil-Rokslider
The Winchester Extended Range and Hevi Shot far surpass the lead offerings from years ago and pattern very well. I would make sure CA reqs state steel shot only vs non toxic shot only. With turkeys, you are looking for head shots with smaller sized pellets. I love using #5 but also look at #4 or #6. If I had to use steel shot only, I think I would just grab my bow!

gethuntin

WKR
Rem does make a factory full choke that is safe for steel. it has a gold tint to it and stamped steel shot .

colonel00

WKR
Rem does make a factory full choke that is safe for steel. it has a gold tint to it and stamped steel shot .

Heh, totally forgot about this but now that you mention it, it does ring a bell. Still though, for turkey hunting, look into the non toxic options before going with steel if at all possible.

duchntr

WKR
As others have said there are much better options other then steel out there especially for turkeys. However you might be able to get away with using your full choke even though it is not recommended by the manufacturer. The only way to tell for sure is to pattern your shotgun with your shell of choice,you may experience a blown out pattern if your using a larger shot size like bb. My choice recommendation would be pick up a box of hevi-shot turkey and hunt,you'll see tighter patterns at a greater range then any steel shot shell out there

MattB

WKR
Depending on where you turkey hunt, CA won't be unleaded until what - 2019?

I would go tungsten/hevi-shot over steel.