8X or 10X for CO Elk hunt

Looking for some advice.

I am planning my first DIY backcountry archery elk hunt in CO this fall. I am going to order some binos within the next few weeks. I am set on brand but still up in the air on magnification.

I am in Michigan and would like to use the binos for whitetail and other species back home.

What are your thoughts on 8 or 10? I am not a trophy hunter so counting points is not going to be a big thing for me.

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
What size Bino do you want? 8x30 or 8x32 are nice for carrying. If you go 42 objective or larger you can get 8x or 10x. I would guess most people go with 10's but 8's have advantages also.

I go with the 10x binoculars. If they are too much (like looking for brow tines in the timber) I use the slight magnification of my rangefinder.

AKMAN

Lil-Rokslider
When not worried about weight, my 8x42 Ultravid HDs are hard to beat. I'm a sucker for lower power binoculars though.
More light, easier to hold steady when you're on a boat or out of breath and if I need more than 8x I probably need a lot more than 10x.
I've been on the hunt for a nice 6x; Maven makes one, but I've never seen any of their products in real life so I'm a bit hesitant to jump in.

My vote is 8x. :cool:

I like compacts myself. 8x25 or so is perfect. Light and handy. Plus you don't need a big pouch hanging of your chest to store them.

ericF

WKR
If you are going to use them dual purpose, then 8x42 would be better than 10x42. You will have no problem finding elk on the next ridge with the 8x and they will be better for the short range that you will probably use them the most on back home.

Let your eyes determine for you. I can see better out of 8x42 as it is a steadier picture and also reduces eye strain. I got lasik several years ago and am pushing 20/10 so by my logic I already have 2x eyes ;)

LostArra

WKR
I agree with those that say either will be fine but while bow hunting I find myself in situations (elk and whitetail) where I am using the bino with one hand, bow in the other. For me, 8X is better for that.

I have both leica 8x32 and leica 10x42 really like my 8x32 for elk hunting . A little lighter and easier to hold. If I need more I grab a 50 mm spotter

outdoor_matt

Lil-Rokslider
When not worried about weight, my 8x42 Ultravid HDs are hard to beat. I'm a sucker for lower power binoculars though.
More light, easier to hold steady when you're on a boat or out of breath and if I need more than 8x I probably need a lot more than 10x.
I've been on the hunt for a nice 6x; Maven makes one, but I've never seen any of their products in real life so I'm a bit hesitant to jump in.

My vote is 8x. :cool:

Yep. I've got the exact same pair and hunted elk with them last year. Never felt like I needed the extra mag, unless the object was miles away and I would have needed the spotter anyways. Having a broader field of view is very nice. Especially for a duel-purpose back east bino.