8x32 EL vs HD+ ?

Hello, I am pretty new here.

Have any of you compared the EL 8x32 with the HD+ ? I want a smaller general use set of good binoculars.

I know the EL will be more popular but between the reports of glare and the flat field lacking a bit of depth (I have owned 10x50 EL before) I am not so sure they are the best choice for me. However, it seems the Leicas have very small eye relief and are impossible for me to try without ordering.

I suspect the quickly available Zeiss SF will be a grand option but I am not confident in the first wave not needing a couple of tweaks.

Thanks for any comparative comments that can be offered between the two.

AGPank

WKR
I have the EL. The reports of veiling glare are overstated in my use. It’s what I use for archery hunting and really like it. I haven’t tried the HD+, but would like to. I did find a standard UV for a good price and picked them up. The eye relief didn’t quite work for me. I don’t know if this changed over the years. They are much smaller than the EL. I haven’t done any real side by side testing, I’ve been letting my wife use them. I don’t think the original UV is a fair comparison to the EL SV optically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
My 8x32ELs are pretty sweet, seem like every time I use them i question why I own its bigger brothers in 10x and 12x ...

Why not see if you can rent some, or some comparisons like SF ....

Trial153

WKR
Hello, I am pretty new here.

Have any of you compared the EL 8x32 with the HD+ ? I want a smaller general use set of good binoculars.

I know the EL will be more popular but between the reports of glare and the flat field lacking a bit of depth (I have owned 10x50 EL before) I am not so sure they are the best choice for me. However, it seems the Leicas have very small eye relief and are impossible for me to try without ordering.

I suspect the quickly available Zeiss SF will be a grand option but I am not confident in the first wave not needing a couple of tweaks.

Thanks for any comparative comments that can be offered between the two.

I loved the 10x32 SV’s in comparison to my 8x32 EL WB’s and Leica 8x32 BN’s.. however I hunt in the mountains and the milky veiling glare was just too much for me to put up with for nearly $2k.
I placed an order for the 10x32 SF’s. I don’t have experience with Zeiss.. is there anything that makes you wary of the first production of them? The 42 SF’s have been out for quite some time and I would imagine that the 32’s have been in the works for a while. But, I’d like to hear what your thoughts are on that.

OP
D
I loved the 10x32 SV’s in comparison to my 8x32 EL WB’s and Leica 8x32 BN’s.. however I hunt in the mountains and the milky veiling glare was just too much for me to put up with for nearly $2k.
I placed an order for the 10x32 SF’s. I don’t have experience with Zeiss.. is there anything that makes you wary of the first production of them? The 42 SF’s have been out for quite some time and I would imagine that the 32’s have been in the works for a while. But, I’d like to hear what your thoughts are on that.

Hi, thanks for the response. I am extremely interested in the Zeiss SF 32mm and expect it will be a heck of a glass. It is just that I am on birdforum also and watched the 42mm get introduced. There were a couple of things that got tweaked after the first production wave. The ones I have briefly used looked and felt amazing apart from increased volume. All I meant to say was that I probably didn’t want one of the very first units. There is a very high chance that in a year or so I will be trying to get into one.

I may also be guilty of listening too much to input from an overly demanding population. I can’t “know” as I did not buy one myself. Very likely much ado about nothing.

But if memory serves there were armor issues, a blue ring around the outer image edge, and maybe something about the focuser feel? all fixed now

Last edited:
Yes, it’s very easy to get into the weeds over on Birdforum or sure! They are a particular group, which I don’t blame them. The cost of these optics are quite high and you want to make sure you are spending time behind glass that is going to be as good as it can be.
I bought a new pair of 8.5x42 EL SV’s this summer as well. They are as close to perfection as I’ve seen. Very happy with them. The only downside being that they weigh half a pound more than 32 objectives.
It would be interesting to hear your experience going forward with 32’s. Keep this thread going, I think it could be a valuable reference in the future.
Cheers

Here is an interesting perspective on Zeiss and other manufacturers from this guy. His other reviews are quite good in my opinion. I may cancel my 10x32 SF order and wait a year for it to be thoroughly tested. However the Victory Pocket 8x25 is very interesting.

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I had no idea you could rent optics either. That is interesting.

We will apply 100% of your rental (up to 7 days) toward purchase if you decide you gotta have them. Check out our Keeper program!

We also rent a lot more than Optics and tripods.

a33773ea105802f7451327dc560c09ab.jpg

Darin Cooper
Rokslide Sponsor
[email protected]

OP
D
http://www.greatestbinoculars.com/allpages/reviews/zeiss/zeissvictoryfl8x25/zeiss_victory_8x25.html.
I may however check out this little guy. Could be a great option for what you want as well, if it performs as good as all the reviews.

I would PM you a link if I could (too new) but over at birdforum in the Zeiss subpage there is a new review where the little 8x25 is talked about quite a bit.

I also like the reviewer you linked. That Tobias guy is why I can’t let Leica “go” as he seems to like the HD+ colors, build quality, and more natural/less flat fields. His words and pictures are quite convincing. And his reference to MK1 and MK2 42mm SF hint at what I was talking about.

Last edited: