8x32's - real hunting experience?

MattB

WKR
In this context of OutdoorAg's question (comparing different models of Swarovski binoculars) it is not an arbitrary measure, although your point is relevant if you were comparing Tasco versus Swarovski as an example. If it were as arbitrary as you suggest, I do not imagine that Swarovski and Leica would reference it as prominently in their technical specs as they do (with Leica listing twilight factor immediately below exit pupil in some of its most recent literature). A more accurate analogy would be judging a car on horsepower alone and not torque, weight, vehicle performance, etc. To each their own in terms of how they care to weight the various measures of optical performance in their buying decision, but those of us who frequently hunt crepuscular animals really can benefit from the improved ability to resolve images in low light conditions. Take care.

kuhn4

Lil-Rokslider
I did a pretty thorough comparison last summer between the 8.5x42 and 8x32 Swarovisions. Both were 2013 models. I compared them in bright daylight, dusk, and in the "dark" (there was ambient city light, but I found a fairly dark area to work). The difference in size and weight is noticeable. The difference in performance is much more difficult to detect. They are very similar. I will compare them this way: The 42 was a 10 out of 10 at dusk and an 8 in the dark. The 32 was a 9.75 at dusk and a 7 in the dark. I did a lot of reading and talked with anyone I could that had used any swarovision binocular. I purchased the 8x32s. I used them elk and whitetail hunting in 2013 and was very happy. I never longed for my 8.5x42 ELs that I used in the past years.

WRO

WKR
In this context of OutdoorAg's question (comparing different models of Swarovski binoculars) it is not an arbitrary measure, although your point is relevant if you were comparing Tasco versus Swarovski as an example. If it were as arbitrary as you suggest, I do not imagine that Swarovski and Leica would reference it as prominently in their technical specs as they do (with Leica listing twilight factor immediately below exit pupil in some of its most recent literature). A more accurate analogy would be judging a car on horsepower alone and not torque, weight, vehicle performance, etc. To each their own in terms of how they care to weight the various measures of optical performance in their buying decision, but those of us who frequently hunt crepuscular animals really can benefit from the improved ability to resolve images in low light conditions. Take care.

Not if you can't see them due to light transmission.. ie the stx 95 at 70 power had the highest twilight rating of any Swarovski product, but the perceived resolution (due to lack of light getting to your pupil). Will be significantly worse than looking at 8.5 x42 at the same time of crepuscular conditions.

You can only benefit from them if the mechanics of the glass make viewing of them possible when they're out. That's where the whole twilight number fails.

As for the reason Leica and Swarovski list them in their specification sheet, probably so people who don't know much about optics can tout how much better their binoculars twilight number is than their buddys in camp.

eleaf

FNG
I have 8x32 binos and have used them mule deer and speed goat hunting the past 3 seasons in NE WY.

I'm currently searching for some 10x binos. The 8x just don't have quite enough zoom zoom to do the job for me.