8x42 Binos around $500???

bate2719

FNG
I am looking at upgrading from my Vortex Diamondback 8x42's. They are my first and only pair and have done pretty good but I just want something a little better quality. My price range is around $500.00 and I am open to buying another brand. I do want to stick with 8x42's as I will be backpacking quite a bit and glassing in low light. Who's got some solid suggestions here?

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I suggest a great unit for only $319.99
Cronus 8.5x42 Binocular
  • E2ES System- Edge 2 Edge Sharpness system: E2ES System is a field flattening system that produces sharper, clearer images all the way from one lens edge to the other
  • ED Glass- High definition glass: ED glass gives you an image with little or no chromatic fringe so the final result brings a clearer and sharper image to your eyes
  • ESP Dielectric Coating- Enhanced Spectral Prism Dielectric Coating: ESP Dielectric Coating is a multi layer prism coating that reflects over 99% of the light to your eyes bringing you a clear, bright image that displays accurate color reproduction.
  • Lightweight Magnesium Chassis: Magnesium chassis give you the strength of a metal chassis while reducing the weight as much as 35%
  • XPL Coating- Xtra Protective Layer coating: XPL Coating gives you an extra protection on the exterior lenses from dirt, oil and scratches
  • Phase Corrected prisms: Phase corrected prisms produce images that have better contrast, a higher resolution and better color reproduction
  • BaK4 prisms: Bak-4 glass prisms reflect more light to your eyes which will give you brighter and sharper image.
  • Advanced FMC: Advanced Fully Multi-Coated lenses gives you better light transmission to bring optimum brightness and true color across the entire light spectrum.
  • Locking Diopter: Locking Diopter keeps the diopter adjustment knob from accidentally moving from the optimal setting
  • Long Eye Relief: Long eye relief can be particularly important for eyeglass wearers because longer eye relief allows them to still see the entire field of view.
  • Close Focus: Close focus is important for those who are nature observers and especially important if you are going to watch butterflies or insects
  • Twist Up Eyecups: Twist up eyecups with intermediate stops allow you to set the eyecups to the ideal eye relief for you eyes
  • Waterproof: Waterproof to protects the binocular in the harshest weather conditions or if accidentally submerged underwater
  • Argon Purged: Argon purging gives you better waterproofing and thermal stability

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
I suggest a great unit for only $319.99
Cronus 8.5x42 Binocular
  • E2ES System- Edge 2 Edge Sharpness system: E2ES System is a field flattening system that produces sharper, clearer images all the way from one lens edge to the other
  • ED Glass- High definition glass: ED glass gives you an image with little or no chromatic fringe so the final result brings a clearer and sharper image to your eyes
  • ESP Dielectric Coating- Enhanced Spectral Prism Dielectric Coating: ESP Dielectric Coating is a multi layer prism coating that reflects over 99% of the light to your eyes bringing you a clear, bright image that displays accurate color reproduction.
  • Lightweight Magnesium Chassis: Magnesium chassis give you the strength of a metal chassis while reducing the weight as much as 35%
  • XPL Coating- Xtra Protective Layer coating: XPL Coating gives you an extra protection on the exterior lenses from dirt, oil and scratches
  • Phase Corrected prisms: Phase corrected prisms produce images that have better contrast, a higher resolution and better color reproduction
  • BaK4 prisms: Bak-4 glass prisms reflect more light to your eyes which will give you brighter and sharper image.
  • Advanced FMC: Advanced Fully Multi-Coated lenses gives you better light transmission to bring optimum brightness and true color across the entire light spectrum.
  • Locking Diopter: Locking Diopter keeps the diopter adjustment knob from accidentally moving from the optimal setting
  • Long Eye Relief: Long eye relief can be particularly important for eyeglass wearers because longer eye relief allows them to still see the entire field of view.
  • Close Focus: Close focus is important for those who are nature observers and especially important if you are going to watch butterflies or insects
  • Twist Up Eyecups: Twist up eyecups with intermediate stops allow you to set the eyecups to the ideal eye relief for you eyes
  • Waterproof: Waterproof to protects the binocular in the harshest weather conditions or if accidentally submerged underwater
  • Argon Purged: Argon purging gives you better waterproofing and thermal stability

Doug-

Do you carry the BX-4's? Was going to grab them from Midway, but happy to support a site sponsor (y)

Sam Colt

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted antelope for a few years with the 10x42 BX-3s and was satisfied with the clarity, but felt like I was compromising on brightness and low-light performance. Went to BX-4 last year and have been well-pleased. For my needs, the 10x42 are completely adequate and having the Leupold support and warranty gives me peace of mind.

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
Just got my BX-4’s and for $379 I am super stoked at the quality. Shout out to Kata2012 for providing the link!
Ended up getting them from Midway-didn’t hear back from Doug, Cameraland listed them for $579. Catch you on the next one 👍

If you can save up a little more, the quality hits a whole new level around $700 in the used market. Nikon HG’s, Meostars, etc.

jremmons

FNG
The BX-4 binoculars are excellent, and are my reference standard in the price range. The sharpness and brightness of the image are fantastic, with the primary weak point being the smaller field of view.

I hated to do it but I went with the Vortex Vipers. I just couldnt see any clarity gain in almost any of the others I looked through. I took me 4 months to settle on them.

morgaj1

WKR
Hard to beat the BX4's in this price range. I have the 8x42 and 10x50 and use both for hunting. Are they Swaro's? No, but for the money, you can't go wrong.

I hesitate to say it because Zen Ray is out of business, but the Zen Ray Prime can still be found for under $500 and is optically unbeatable for the money.

I have seen the discontinued Leupold Mckinley sell used for around $300 which is the same bino just rebranded. That would have a warranty.