8x42 or 10x42 leupold bx-4?

Torn between these binos. I will mainly hunt wisconsin, iowa, Minnesota for whitetails. Using for scouting ducks. Occasionally a trip out west to north eastern Wyoming for mule deer or whitetails. My current daily driver is a pair of vortex diamondback 10x50s. So anything will be an upgrade. I know @Newtosavage has alot of experience and if you could chime in that would be great. Open to other optics as well but like the leupold warranty and really don't want to drop $1k plus at the moment.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

My pick in the BX-4's would be the 10's. I've owned both, and liked both, but the field of view on the 8's didn't impress me. In other binoculars (like my Conquest HD's) I always prefer 8x for the extra light and field of view. The exception to that rule of the ones I've owned, is the BX-4's

OP
UWbadger1013
My pick in the BX-4's would be the 10's. I've owned both, and liked both, but the field of view on the 8's didn't impress me. In other binoculars (like my Conquest HD's) I always prefer 8x for the extra light and field of view. The exception to that rule of the ones I've owned, is the BX-4's
For the money do you feel there are better options or are the bx-4s as good as what some say?

For the money do you feel there are better options or are the bx-4s as good as what some say?

The BX-4's are well worth the money. I paid full price for both pairs I owned, and never felt cheated. They have Conquest HD quality glass in a great form factor. All you give up is field of view over the Conquests, but it's not severe.

OP
UWbadger1013
The BX-4's are well worth the money. I paid full price for both pairs I owned, and never felt cheated. They have Conquest HD quality glass in a great form factor. All you give up is field of view over the Conquests, but it's not severe.
Did you find the 8x vs 10x for low light in bx-4 were about the same? I'd say 90% off my hunting will be whitetails in Midwest so nothing further than say 1000 yds

CREillY

Lil-Rokslider
I use10x42's Mavins for Midwest whitetail and I wouldn't want to go any less power.

OP
UWbadger1013
I use10x42's Mavins for Midwest whitetail and I wouldn't want to go any less power.
How is low light visibility and stability free handing? Like 30 min before etc. Thanks! I was also looking at mavin c1s. Might come down to what I can get for best price. I feel like i haven't had any issues with my 10x50s which are diamondbacks so better glass would certainly be a big upgrade for me just for starters.

Did you find the 8x vs 10x for low light in bx-4 were about the same? I'd say 90% off my hunting will be whitetails in Midwest so nothing further than say 1000 yds

8's were definitely brighter, but as I said, the field of view didn't impress me. They had a bit too much "looking through a tube" effect for my tastes. I didn't notice that with the 10x42's.

How is low light visibility and stability free handing? Like 30 min before etc. Thanks! I was also looking at mavin c1s. Might come down to what I can get for best price. I feel like i haven't had any issues with my 10x50s which are diamondbacks so better glass would certainly be a big upgrade for me just for starters.

The biggest difference you're going to see vs. your Diamondbacks is resolving power and clearer, sharper edges. This will really show up if you mount them on a tripod. That's what crushes sub-par binoculars. When you mount binos on a tripod, their flaws have no place to hide.

OP
UWbadger1013
Awesome. Thanks for the info. I'll have to hold both and check them out. I don't need to be able to see an hr before shooting light. But on those overcast mornings it's nice to have visibility

CREillY

Lil-Rokslider

The stability is great, I can see slightly better through my mavens than I can with my eyes as far as visibility in low light.

OP
UWbadger1013
The stability is great, I can see slightly better through my mavens than I can with my eyes as far as visibility in low light.
I feel like i can stabilize my 10x50s well enough and if i tripod them, i have binos i can go Outwest without a spotter with if need be. Where the 8s ive never considered going that low cause idk how much low light visibility i can really gain vs a good 10x42

Lytro

WKR
Torn between these binos. I will mainly hunt wisconsin, iowa, Minnesota for whitetails. Using for scouting ducks. Occasionally a trip out west to north eastern Wyoming for mule deer or whitetails. My current daily driver is a pair of vortex diamondback 10x50s. So anything will be an upgrade. I know @Newtosavage has alot of experience and if you could chime in that would be great. Open to other optics as well but like the leupold warranty and really don't want to drop $1k plus at the moment.

I wouldn't go with the BX-4's if you have 10x50 Diamondbacks and think it will be a huge upgrade. I upgraded from Diamondback 10x50's this year to the Leupold BX-5 Santiam HD 12x50's. Although I really like them, there honestly isn't a vast difference if they're not on a tripod. They're slightly sharper at further distances and maybe a little better in low light. You definitely wouldn't be gaining much with BX-4's in the whitetail woods. I would keep what you have for now and save a little more for a better upgrade.

OP
UWbadger1013
@sndmn11 i seen you have experience with bx4s (not sure how to send a msg on here says i don't have permission) do you feel there are better options in the $500 range for binos?

OP
UWbadger1013
Has anyone compared these to SLCs? What would i be gaining by going with SLCS? I don't think I'm looking to spend that much at the moment unless i can easily justify the performance difference between the bx-4 and slc. Cabelas has a sale coming i can get $75 off the bx4 10x50s so $525.

Thanks

Longbow53

FNG
My pair of Swarovski 8x30's , been using for over 30 years. I dont need anything bigger,for brush hunting ,in A tree stand,or hide. For sagebrush 15X.

sndmn11

WKR
@sndmn11 i seen you have experience with bx4s (not sure how to send a msg on here says i don't have permission) do you feel there are better options in the $500 range for binos?

To my eyes, they easily best Maven C series, Vortex Viper and below, and anything else I have looked through under $500 retail. I think they are great Japanese made stepping stone binoculars for a dedicated glasser, or final binos for the sporadic user who takes a 30second standing view and moves on.

I now have current version 10x SLCs, and my wife has a gaggle of Maven B series. We recently grabbed some B1s for my dad at $550ish, and that's what I would look for bar none around $500. You may possibly find some Zeiss conquest, I believe there was some Tract Toric in here under $500...but I think they are a good solid pair if you want something new. I think you are getting a sxoosh of a nudge better view 95% of the time by moving up a tier, and a slightly apparent better view in poopy conditions accounting for the other 5% of the time.

I'd keep an eye out for sales, I think I paid $375 on a good sale. Or watch the classifieds.

OP
UWbadger1013
To my eyes, they easily best Maven C series, Vortex Viper and below, and anything else I have looked through under $500 retail. I think they are great Japanese made stepping stone binoculars for a dedicated glasser, or final binos for the sporadic user who takes a 30second standing view and moves on.

I now have current version 10x SLCs, and my wife has a gaggle of Maven B series. We recently grabbed some B1s for my dad at $550ish, and that's what I would look for bar none around $500. You may possibly find some Zeiss conquest, I believe there was some Tract Toric in here under $500...but I think they are a good solid pair if you want something new. I think you are getting a sxoosh of a nudge better view 95% of the time by moving up a tier, and a slightly apparent better view in poopy conditions accounting for the other 5% of the time.

I'd keep an eye out for sales, I think I paid $375 on a good sale. Or watch the classifieds.
Which binos did you get for 375? I'm looking at bx4 10x50s which are 600 normally. What Seperated the maven b1 from the bx4s? I think if i were to go a step up i probably would go slc. But i will occasionally use them out west. Main uses for me is deer hunting wisconsin primarily and sometimes Minnesota, iowa. Also using for duck and goose scouting. Out west would probably be every other year.

Thanks
Patrick

sndmn11

WKR
Which binos did you get for 375? I'm looking at bx4 10x50s which are 600 normally. What Seperated the maven b1 from the bx4s? I think if i were to go a step up i probably would go slc. But i will occasionally use them out west. Main uses for me is deer hunting wisconsin primarily and sometimes Minnesota, iowa. Also using for duck and goose scouting. Out west would probably be every other year.

Thanks
Patrick

10x bx4s were right around that price on sale.

B series Mavens to my eyes have a more relaxed view. I gauge what I like simply on how easy the view is, I don't want to have to focus on seeing, i just want it to be natural and relaxed. Some might equate that to resolution, some might call it depth of focus, others something else. I find the SLCs to be on par with Mavens in that regard, but the SLCs maintain that in bad conditions. My wife on the other hand wouldn't trade her 8x Mavens for any model SLC or Leica...I've tried to get her to "upgrade" but blind, she picks what she has.