8x42 or 10x42 leupold bx-4?

rclouse79

WKR
I stumbled across a deal on the 8x that was so good I bought them on the spot. I have been nothing but pleased with them.

OP
UWbadger1013
I stumbled across a deal on the 8x that was so good I bought them on the spot. I have been nothing but pleased with them.
That is the leupold you're referring to? Do you recall what kind of deal?trying to decide if 75 off for bx4 10x50s is good or hold off.

OP
UWbadger1013
10x bx4s were right around that price on sale.

B series Mavens to my eyes have a more relaxed view. I gauge what I like simply on how easy the view is, I don't want to have to focus on seeing, i just want it to be natural and relaxed. Some might equate that to resolution, some might call it depth of focus, others something else. I find the SLCs to be on par with Mavens in that regard, but the SLCs maintain that in bad conditions. My wife on the other hand wouldn't trade her 8x Mavens for any model SLC or Leica...I've tried to get her to "upgrade" but blind, she picks what she has.
Totally understand. I'm just not sure I'll get the use out of going a step up to maven b1 or slc. An out west trip for me will probably be every other year at best. So mainly whitetails here in wisconsin or Minnesota and scouting ducks and geese.

sndmn11

WKR
You could surely be really happy with them for an occasional use or like I said before, the guy who will stand nad hand hold them for a less than a minute view before moving a long. They are nice glass and something that gets overlooked is they are very compact for what they are. I do think you can find better used binoculars for the same price as the BX4 new, but if you like the BX4 then no need to talk yourself out of them. I know they have been going up in price and gaining value, I sold the two pairs i had for more than I paid for them, and they sold quick.

Fdh

Lil-Rokslider
I have both an 8 and a 10. For me no appreciable difference. Always seem to want a higher power to determine size of antlers!!

OP
UWbadger1013
Has mavin been around a while and how is there customer service? I have never heard of them until looking for a decent pair of binos. I know there is toric as well but i feel like for spending any large amount of money i want an established company like say swarovski, zeiss, leupold. Toric seems a little new on the block. Maybe I'm wrong.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
UWbadger1013
@Newtosavage am i missing any offerings by meopta, maven or tract? I think tract is too new for my liking. But have never held meopta or maven. I guess the comparison with maven with probably be the b1 but that seems like it might be an unfair comparison with the bx4s. I don't know anything about meopta.

Thanks
Patrick

UW, as far as my eyeballs are concerned (yours are different, of course), Meopta only makes one line of binoculars that are worth investing in, the Meostars. Mavens are interesting, I understand they source their bins from the Kamakura plant in Japan, which has a long history of making world class, reliable binoculars. I would not be afraid of Mavens, but I would also not expect them to have the customer service or longevity of a Leupold or Zeiss or Swaro or even Meopta. I've seen too many new binocular companies like Maven come and go (Zen-Ray anyone?). Their lifetime warranty is only good as long as they are able to stay in business. That's not taking anything away from their products. It's just reality and might be something to consider when you're shopping.

I trust the Leupold name and their warranty. I was pleasantly surprised to discover the BX-4's were as good as they were. I'd put the resolving power (ability to see fine detail) on par with my Conquest HD's, and believe that is as good as my 20/10 vision can discern.

If someone offered me B1 Mavens vs. the BX-4's, I'd still go with the BX-4's. They are way lighter and more compact, the open hinge design is a delight in the hand, they have excellent, robust eyecups and you cannot beat the Leupold warranty.

Others will surely have their preferences, but those are mine.

Keep in mind, my Conquest HD 8x32's are my daily drivers. ;)

OP
UWbadger1013
UW, as far as my eyeballs are concerned (yours are different, of course), Meopta only makes one line of binoculars that are worth investing in, the Meostars. Mavens are interesting, I understand they source their bins from the Kamakura plant in Japan, which has a long history of making world class, reliable binoculars. I would not be afraid of Mavens, but I would also not expect them to have the customer service or longevity of a Leupold or Zeiss or Swaro or even Meopta. I've seen too many new binocular companies like Maven come and go (Zen-Ray anyone?). Their lifetime warranty is only good as long as they are able to stay in business. That's not taking anything away from their products. It's just reality and might be something to consider when you're shopping.

I trust the Leupold name and their warranty. I was pleasantly surprised to discover the BX-4's were as good as they were. I'd put the resolving power (ability to see fine detail) on par with my Conquest HD's, and believe that is as good as my 20/10 vision can discern.

If someone offered me B1 Mavens vs. the BX-4's, I'd still go with the BX-4's. They are way lighter and more compact, the open hinge design is a delight in the hand, they have excellent, robust eyecups and you cannot beat the Leupold warranty.

Others will surely have their preferences, but those are mine.

Keep in mind, my Conquest HD 8x32's are my daily drivers. ;)
Excellent that really helps me out. Bx4s it is. and totally agree on longevity with a company. I did look more into the meostar but i think of im jumping up above the bx4s then i may as well go to slc's.

Thanks again!

Excellent that really helps me out. Bx4s it is. and totally agree on longevity with a company. I did look more into the meostar but i think of im jumping up above the bx4s then i may as well go to slc's.

Thanks again!

Let us know how you like 'em. Fact is, if finances prevented me from carrying Conquest HD's, I'd be carrying BX-4's without a doubt. You'll really enjoy them.