8x42 vs 10x42 leupold bx4

Torn between these binos. I will mainly hunt wisconsin, iowa, Minnesota for whitetails. Using for scouting ducks. Occasionally a trip out west to north eastern Wyoming for mule deer or whitetails. My current daily driver is a pair of vortex diamondback 10x50s. So anything will be an upgrade. I know @Newtosavage has alot of experience and if you could chime in that would be great. Open to other optics as well but like the leupold warranty and really don't want to drop $1k plus at the moment.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Lot's of great options also from Kowa, Meopta and Athlon.

8x will be steadier to hold and give a wider FOV

10x is better for distance identification

What would serve you better?

Be glad to discuss options with you if you'd like to give a call?

ZackP

WKR
For me it’s hard not to go with 10’s. Either way you’ll be satisfied with them. Those BX4’s don’t get enough credit.

mlgc20

WKR
I had the 10x50s in the BX-4 and they were awesome. I did recently trade them for the BX-5 version of the 10x50. But, i would recommend the BX-4 to anyone in that price range.

I almost always recommend 8's over 10's for a number of reasons, but in the BX-4 series, I make an exception. I've owned both, and I preferred the 10x42's in that binocular. The 8's didn't seem that much brighter than the 10's to me, and the 8's had a surprisingly narrow field of view. I didn't get that "tunnel" feeling from the 10's at all.

Get the 10x42's and don't look back. They are superb binoculars and they are made in Japan, not China. I agree they don't get enough credit.

I could easily use the 10x42 BX-4's as my daily driver. Other than my 8x32 Conquest HD's (my current daily driver), those BX-4's have been easily one of my favorites of everything I've tried.

ZackP

WKR
I almost always recommend 8's over 10's for a number of reasons, but in the BX-4 series, I make an exception. I've owned both, and I preferred the 10x42's in that binocular. The 8's didn't seem that much brighter than the 10's to me, and the 8's had a surprisingly narrow field of view. I didn't get that "tunnel" feeling from the 10's at all.

Get the 10x42's and don't look back. They are superb binoculars and they are made in Japan, not China. I agree they don't get enough credit.

I could easily use the 10x42 BX-4's as my daily driver. Other than my 8x32 Conquest HD's (my current daily driver), those BX-4's have been easily one of my favorites of everything I've tried.
My favorites as well.

Lone Tree

FNG
I used 8x42 for the last 10 years and switched to the 10x42 bx4s this year and I’m happy I made the switch. FOV is great, but you just see more detail with the 10x-and seeing detail is what spots animals for me. Plus the bx4s are really bright, so they still gather enough light. I’d go with the 10x42!

Ccm11

FNG
I have the 10x42 bx4. I’ve been running those for the past several years. They’re a great bino! I’m kind of leaning towards going back to an 8x for FOV and low light glassing advantage though. Still a little torn since I’ve gotten used to looking through 10’s.

Have you ever looked thru the 10x50 or 12x50 BX-4s? I've been considering grabbing a pair for use on a tripod. Normally I wouldn't consider 10x50 but the 12x50 BX-4 has kind of a small FOV compared to other options in that price range.

Have you ever looked thru the 10x50 or 12x50 BX-4s? I've been considering grabbing a pair for use on a tripod. Normally I wouldn't consider 10x50 but the 12x50 BX-4 has kind of a small FOV compared to other options in that price range.
No, I'm sorry. I have not. Binoculars over 10x have never interested me to be honest.

No, I'm sorry. I have not. Binoculars over 10x have never interested me to be honest.
I appreciate the reply! I've always been a 10x42 + 15-45 spotter kind of guy. A bear hunt, back in August, left me feeling frustrated with that setup though. Got me to thinking about grabbing a 12x or 15x binoculars to 'bridge the gap' while scanning massive canyons.

CAD73

FNG
Great thread here! I'm in exactly the same boat. Selling my Diamondbacks and looking to upgrade. Been reading up on the Vortex Viper, Leupold BX-4, and Maven C1. I'm hunting whitetails in the Northeast so I need compact , good FOV, and clarity for glassing from my stand n low light or the occasional scan while still hunting.

Great thread here! I'm in exactly the same boat. Selling my Diamondbacks and looking to upgrade. Been reading up on the Vortex Viper, Leupold BX-4, and Maven C1. I'm hunting whitetails in the Northeast so I need compact , good FOV, and clarity for glassing from my stand n low light or the occasional scan while still hunting.
I would recommend dropping the Vipers off your list. I had the Diamondback HD's and "upgraded" to Vipers, and so I was able to compare them side by side. The Vipers are clearer and the locking diopter is nice. Beyond that, I didn't notice much difference, and don't feel like it was much of an upgrade. I'm willing to wager that there are better options at that price.
But take what I say with a grain of salt. My eyes are a little sun-damaged and I wear glasses. Either one of those factors could be why I was underwhelmed by the Vipers.
Good luck on your search!

CAD73

FNG
I would recommend dropping the Vipers off your list. I had the Diamondback HD's and "upgraded" to Vipers, and so I was able to compare them side by side. The Vipers are clearer and the locking diopter is nice. Beyond that, I didn't notice much difference, and don't feel like it was much of an upgrade. I'm willing to wager that there are better options at that price.
But take what I say with a grain of salt. My eyes are a little sun-damaged and I wear glasses. Either one of those factors could be why I was underwhelmed by the Vipers.
Good luck on your search!
Thank you for that. Exactly the kind of feedback I'm looking for. Found a deal on some used swarovski cl companions for well under $1k but I think I was beat to the punch. 🙁