8x42 vs 10x42 SLC on tripod?

brsnow

WKR
Hi,
I have both but only one outdoor stud, so haven’t been able to compare. How much would I give up using the 8x on the tripod? The 10’s were hard to hold steady one handed last fall when tired short of breath and think the 8’s would help. Ultimately I don’t want to keep both. I mostly elk hunt but add in a deer hunt from time to time. I appreciate it.

skierhs

WKR
“Some” is the best answer anyone can give you other than the 8x having better field of view but less magnification to be able to pick things apart. You should be able to install the stud on the 8x and then install it on the 10x and give each a try. once you do that then you’ll get a better idea of the difference. I personally would go 10x but I don’t have an issue with hand holding them(and even use a 12x right now). If you can’t use the 10x hand holding then I don’t see it as a option if you arn’t willing to carry both.

• Banned
OP
B

brsnow

WKR
“Some” is the best answer anyone can give you other than the 8x having better field of view but less magnification to be able to pick things apart. You should be able to install the stud on the 8x and then install it on the 10x and give each a try. once you do that then you’ll get a better idea of the difference. I personally would go 10x but I don’t have an issue with hand holding them(and even use a 12x right now). If you can’t use the 10x hand holding then I don’t see it as a option if you arn’t willing to carry both.
Thank you, I can hold them but not as steady. I also have a 50mm spotter, so I wouldn’t be carrying both binos

skierhs

WKR
Thank you, I can hold them but not as steady. I also have a 50mm spotter, so I wouldn’t be carrying both binos
Having a spotter is a game changer and I’d likely just go with the 8x and the spotter since the spotter can carry the burden for picking apart terrain if needed.

Beendare

WKR
Oh man....tough question...only because everyone is different.

I have the 8x Nikon EDG [probably my best glass] and the 10x SLC's. I really like the 8x for most stuff now...where when I was younger I preferred the 10 SLC's. I used to be able to hand hold the 10x just a little bit more solid.

I had the 8x with me in open country [read; desert!] last week and was wishing I had my 10x. I also had my 15X Meoptas with quick mount to my tripod and its just unbelievable how a hillside a mile or more away comes alive with those after scanning hand held with my 8X.

2 buddies with 10x and 2 with 15x around their neck on that hunt. I cannot come close to holding those 15x solid even braced on a tree to be worth a snuff around my neck. The difference between hand held and tripod is night and day.

10x on a tripod is a great all around performer...but then everyone will have a different opinion.

• Banned
OP
B

brsnow

WKR
Thank you, I just went on hike with both and feel the 10’s are better. Slightly less stable by hand but not too bad. They seemed to feel better to my eyes. I think I will sell the 8x42, and probably get a compact 8x in the future. 10x42 and 50mm spotter should cover my needs. I would love 15x on the tripod though...