8x56 Binoculars Anyone?

I am eyeing a pair of 8x56 Conquests HD. I have some 10x42 Conquest HD but looking for a pair to maximize low light viewing especially in wooded areas.

I don’t see many folks sporting large objective 8x binos. Is the size and weight awkward for what gain there might be in low light performance?

What’s your use case? You don’t gain much when the exit pupil (=objective/magnification) is larger than your pupil dilation. 7mm is larger than your pupils dilate during the day, but if your eyes are adjusted they will be brighter at low light

Last edited:
As much as I like the Conquest HD Line their 56mm is just a massive beast. To me the SLC 8x56 is a much better choice - optics are a smidge better, they are definitely brighter, and the handling characteristics are noticeably better.

BTW - I’ve seen this notion that canyonhunter is echoing about exit pupil and I disagree. While it is a challenge to make a truly daytime-bright 56mm binocular, the 56mm SLC does it very well via the use of an AK prism design and superb coatings. There is much more light through this 56mm system than a standard 42mm, which translates to more saturated image detail during the day. While your brain really notices the difference as the light fades it is always there.

Ice-kub

Lil-Rokslider
New here, but, I feel like an 8x56 would be a bit over kill, unless you're looking to squeeze that last minute of light out of the day but I don't think you'd be to far ahead of your 8x42 to warrant the extra weight or cost?

hawkman71

Lil-Rokslider
I've always understood (read) that that an objective-to-mag ratio of 5:0 was the Mac your eyes could take advantage of and increasing it offered no benefit.

Ice-kub

Lil-Rokslider
I've always understood (read) that that an objective-to-mag ratio of 5:0 was the Mac your eyes could take advantage of and increasing it offered no benefit.

There is also the factor of age. I believe it was a vortex podcast I was listening to and one of the optical engineers touched on the topic of how as we age, one's pupil will not dilate to its fullest potential that it once could. IIRC 7mm is the largest your pupil can dilate and that was around age 10. So as you age that window of usable light becomes smaller.

What I took away from what was said is that a higher quality glass that let's more "quality" light through translates to a clearer picture.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
My everyday carry and bino harness carry binos are a range finding 8x50 from Meopta. Love them. They have greater FOV and low light performance than the conquest range finding 10x54’s. One of the main reasons I went with them over the Zeiss.

They are heavy like any range finding bino but I’ve gotten used to the weight on my chest. I also will never go back to separate range finder/bino combo. One tool to do both is fantastic.

They are great on the tripod as well for closer range detailed glassing and ranging.

Last edited:

prm

WKR
Following as I had the same question. More interested in the field comparisons vice the theoretical. My use case was treestand whitetails in thick timber.

Breddoch

Lil-Rokslider
I live in MS so my hunting is mostly stand hunting close quarters with an annual or biannual western hunt. I have been using a set of 8.5x56 nikon monarchs for about 15 years. I bought a pair of 10x42 Leica Trinovids last year before my trip to CO. I have decided that the larger binoculars are worth the bulk to get that last bit of light.

Now I have a different dilemma. I had an opportunity to pick up a demo pair of Zeiss victory ht 8x54 at a decent deal and have been wanting to try alpha glass. Now I am trying to decide if the high dollar Zeiss are worth the money over the nikon. The clarity is amazing but it is not obvious that it is worth the premium for my purposes. To be continued.

OP
General RE LEE
I live in MS so my hunting is mostly stand hunting close quarters with an annual or biannual western hunt. I have been using a set of 8.5x56 nikon monarchs for about 15 years. I bought a pair of 10x42 Leica Trinovids last year before my trip to CO. I have decided that the larger binoculars are worth the bulk to get that last bit of light.

Now I have a different dilemma. I had an opportunity to pick up a demo pair of Zeiss victory ht 8x54 at a decent deal and have been wanting to try alpha glass. Now I am trying to decide if the high dollar Zeiss are worth the money over the nikon. The clarity is amazing but it is not obvious that it is worth the premium for my purposes. To be continued.

I am faced with a similar dilemma. I was considering jumping from the Zeiss Conquest HD to the Victory SF. That's a $1500 jump to get the alpha Zeiss. I joined a bird watching forum to get feedback cause birdwatchers know their glass very well. Numerous people said the Conquests are excellent glass and only jump to the alphas if having the best is a necessity. Otherwise the Conquest are very good.

I am going to buy another rifle instead lol.