9-12 day hunts, MR Marshall/ SG Sky Talus 6900/ Kifaru Cavern, thoughts?

ytmtnhunt

FNG
So I've got a big 9-12 day sheep hunt planned for August and I need a better bag. I used a MR 6500 while in the army and I loved it. Stood up to some seriously heavy loads, shitloads of abuse, scraped up the sides of limestone cliffs, dropped out of helicopters into the ocean and carried for 2 days after and it never failed me. The 6500 is basically the same as a Marshall but with a few tweaks and a different frame so obviously I'm learning that direction but if someone can push me in another direction I'd be willing to listen.

Thanks in advance!

easilyamused

Lil-Rokslider
Id say the biggest thing is getting whichever one fits you the best when it comes to the frame. A pound of weight between brands doesnt mean anything if it doesnt fit well, I had a mystery ranch nice framed pack and sold it and moved to a kifaru and the fit made all the difference for me. If you can id really try and get your hands on some to try out.

I agree with the post above in terms of fit. That being said, I suggest the MR Marshall. I ran one this past year for a 8 day s Alaskan sheep hunt in this past August. It suited me well and had room left over. You already know the construction stands up to what you throw at it. I have run the Metcalf for years and love the pack but the extra space of the Marshall has come in handy a number of times. The other brands are great and a lot of guys run them without issue. Try them all and get what fits you and fits your hunting style

Dust1n

FNG
Take a look at the Exo Mountain Gear Packs. I bought mine used an started hiking the local hill outside of town and it’s very comfortable, light and tested for loads to 250lbs.

Bacwest

FNG
I have the Kifaru Reckoning w/duplex frame and really like it, I think you would be happy with Kifaru or SG. MR is also a great pack but not on same teir as others.My opinion...I don't think that the mystery ranch will be as comfortable with weight, they're a little lighter of a build.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Mirxivus

FNG
I agree with the post above in terms of fit. That being said, I suggest the MR Marshall. I ran one this past year for a 8 day s Alaskan sheep hunt in this past August. It suited me well and had room left over. You already know the construction stands up to what you throw at it. I have run the Metcalf for years and love the pack but the extra space of the Marshall has come in handy a number of times. The other brands are great and a lot of guys run them without issue. Try them all and get what fits you and fits your hunting style
I hear MR packs have more organization pockets compared to SG, do you usually like more organized packs? Did you find that the organization still left enough room for you to do your own organization? (like with dry bags or organizing by kits) I've been seriously considering the Marshall but every time people ask about it everyone just says "I like SG/Exo/Kifaru"

I hear MR packs have more organization pockets compared to SG, do you usually like more organized packs? Did you find that the organization still left enough room for you to do your own organization? (like with dry bags or organizing by kits) I've been seriously considering the Marshall but every time people ask about it everyone just says "I like SG/Exo/Kifaru"
Yes, I run some smaller kits and it seems to work for me. Kit, Cook, Kill, and Firstaid/hygiene all have separate bags in my pack. When I go into the backcountry the two long pockets and the lid are also dedicated as needed with extra layers or food if that helps answer the question.

Mirxivus

FNG
Yes, I run some smaller kits and it seems to work for me. Kit, Cook, Kill, and Firstaid/hygiene all have separate bags in my pack. When I go into the backcountry the two long pockets and the lid are also dedicated as needed with extra layers or food if that helps answer the question.
Helps a lot, thanks!

I love my MR Marshall. I find that for small loads and day hunting it compresses down great. Like others have said, I don't mind the extra weight because it carries weight so well.

Mirxivus

FNG
I love my MR Marshall. I find that for small loads and day hunting it compresses down great. Like others have said, I don't mind the extra weight because it carries weight so well.
Do you have any of the accessory bags? (forager pocket/box, zoid, etc)

I have forager pockets on the hip belt. The pack came with an interior detachable pocket I wasn't expecting. It has more compartments than I was expecting.