9 day Colorado rifle seasoning packing list

Bmoore

Lil-Rokslider
Doing my first western and elk hunt in 2020. Doing the 9 day rifle season at the end of October. Will be joining some older guys who have done the hunt before. We will be setting up a base camp by trucks and day hunts from there. I’m looking to put together a packing list specifically for cloths. I really wanna get a feel for what items I need to pack and also how many pairs. Since we aren’t hiking camp in I’ll have the luxury of having some spare pieces which I assume will go a long way for comfort. I’m thinking swapping base layers at a minimum every day would be nice but I don’t know if that’s necessary. I wanna pack enough to be comfortable but not so much that I look like an idiot.

I’m looking at getting a list together so I can see what gear I currently have in my whitetail kit that can be used and what items I may wanna grab extras of or buy altogether. I have some merino first lite base layers that I wear for white tail. Usually use the Chama hoody and soem Allegheny base bottoms through the rut here in Pa. what items should I be looking to add? What would your full cloths packing list look like for this style of hunt? Any help provided is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

prm

WKR
I’d suggest that during the day while hunting you wear what you see recommended for a backpack hunt. Then, when back at the truck have some comfortable clothes to change into. The backpacking clothing will have the combination of warmth, moisture management, wind blocking, etc. Back at camp just be warm and comfortable.

My back pack clothing list is:
Injinji socks
Salomon Quest 4D boots
First lite merino bottoms
Prana Zion pants
First Aerowool base top
Kuiu Peleton 240
Arcteryx Atom jacket
Kifaru Lost Park Parka
Rain top
Rain bottoms only if forecast to be very rainy (doubtful lat Oct.)
Hat
Gloves
Puffy glassing gloves

If it’s going to be warm I may switch to a silk weight base layer top.

OP
Bmoore

Bmoore

Lil-Rokslider
Ok. Thanks for the input! So you think I could get away with one set of everything and just bring something comfortable for camp? Sweat pants and an extra sweatshirt. Just something to get out of my hunting cloths and let them air out?

Get merino everything and you will only need 2 sets of clothes instead of 5.

Bring some Dr. Bronners soap, or an equivalent, and wash your first set of clothes after 3 days. After day 6 switch back to your 1st set of clothes and wash the 2nd. At the end you will have clean clothes to change into after you shower.

prm

WKR
Ok. Thanks for the input! So you think I could get away with one set of everything and just bring something comfortable for camp? Sweat pants and an extra sweatshirt. Just something to get out of my hunting cloths and let them air out?

If you simply add an additional pair of socks and underwear to my list, that is what I take for 5 days. If you are able to change at camp, one set of hunting clothes is plenty. I’d just take a set of warm, rugged clothes to change into, and some warm boots. Let your hunting boots dry out.

OP
Bmoore

Bmoore

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks! I already have merino base layers. I guess one pair is gonna be enough. As long as I have soem other cloths at camp so I can let them air out every evening.

Ralphie

WKR
For a truck camp who cares about looking like an idiot because you brought too much stuff. I’d have at least several pairs of hiking socks and a couple pairs of base layers. And probably spare outer layer stuff too. Plus camp clothes Including shoes.

I have hunted second rifle elk in Colorado the past 2 years and wore the same First Lite base layers the whole week both times. You will want probably 2 pairs of hunting pants, a puffy jacket or vest, an additional fleece/insulating top and bottom, a wind blocking jacket, and rain gear. Some use hard shell rain gear as their wind barrier. And a pair of camp shoes/boots...want to let your hunting boots dry out when you get back to camp

OP
Bmoore

Bmoore

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like extra camp boots are a must! Thanks for all the input guys. Having a sort of gear list gives a good idea of what things I should be on the lookout to buy, and what things I don’t need.