9 points for mule deer in Wyoming, which area for a DIY rifle hunt in 2022?

As stated, I have 9 points for mule deer in Wy. It will be 2022 before I can go. so I will have 10 -11. I'm 54 now and in fairly decent shape. What unit would you choose? I just want an opportunity to harvest a decent mature animal, I don't need a booner... but that would be nice. Open to archery or rifle.

OneShot

Lil-Rokslider
Kinda in no mans land unless you want to hunt G. The top tier units are taking max and the generals aren’t taking many besides G. I’m sitting on the same number of points and was planning on a high country hunt.

OP
razorsharptokill
Thanks for your reply. I heard from a guy who hunted G and barely saw any deer at all. Not sure where he was exactly or what his ability is to move around in the mountains. He was archery hunting so maybe he just wasn't where the deer were.

mikkel318

Lil-Rokslider
I'm sitting on 11 points and I keep realizing the same thing. Not enough for many of the limited entry, but it is nice you can "share" (by averaging as a party application) them if you want to do a general hunt with a friend.

Some of those Platte Valley hunts have some intrigue. Might be worth looking into a bit more. Like many have said, you're in no man's land with that many points, but should be able to have a good hunt in G (or other general units) as well as some of the other limited quota units.

OP
razorsharptokill
If I put a unit with lower point requirement as a 2nd choice and draw it do I burn points? If not, can I still buy a point if i draw a second choice? I don't see this on their website.

If I put a unit with lower point requirement as a 2nd choice and draw it do I burn points? If not, can I still buy a point if i draw a second choice? I don't see this on their website.

Yes you can still buy a point if you draw 2nd choice. But just because something has a lower point requirement than the points you have does not mean you can draw it. It has to have less applicants than tags and a quick run through 2020 random odds will show there are only a handful of general regions where that is even an option these days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
razorsharptokill
Yes you can still buy a point if you draw 2nd choice. But just because something has a lower point requirement than the points you have does not mean you can draw it. It has to have less applicants than tags and a quick run through 2020 random odds will show there are only a handful of general regions where that is even an option these days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So do I burn my points drawing a 2nd choice?

Mtnboy

WKR
What is max points these days for Deer? I haven't looked in awhile, just curious.