90/10 Rejected

I’m not sure higher tag prices will keep that many away, for the big picture. Many people live to hunt, and are going to pay the price. I just returned from a West Coast trip, and judging by the crowds and RVs on the highways and in the campgrounds, no one stayed home because of higher fuel prices. Some view hunting tag prices the same way my grandpa told me about his neighbor’s habits. When the store clerk told him that the price of a glass of snuff went up to two bits, he replied, “they never have charged what it’s worth”
Rokslide is not the norm. I have friends that hunt the absolute heck out of whitetails here in Kansas. But will not go in on elk because they think the tags are too expensive now. If the price increases and I hope they do, they will never go.

Jaquomo

WKR
Same here. Selfishly I want them to raise to a price where a lot of people will stop applying. Whatever gives me the best chance at more tags.
Yep, me too! Test the "willingness to pay threshold" we use in other natural resources management.

ikeG

FNG
Best way to "thin the herd" applying is to go back to the old school way of requiring applicants to pay by check or money order. That would actually require someone to physically have the money in their account vs. adding debt to their credit card.
I like this idea...

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

OP
ScottR_EHJ

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Interesting residents may get first shot at leftovers. Most leftovers i have looked at, it was the residents that didnt buy them to begin with.
Yesteryear I would have agreed with you. Since 2020 that pendulum has started to swing the other way. Most of us are making sure that we have our antlerless tags taken care of well before free for all buying season. In turn many residents have gotten to the point where if it's a viable hunt they will have them soaked up between first and second draw. Looking at what was left isn't pretty, lots of really tough hunting for the most part.

wytx

WKR
Leftovers went to NRs by the droves when they started rolling under allocated Resident licenses into their draw, in essence basically doubling the NR quota in the first draw.
NRs should have a set quota for their draw, leftovers should go in the leftover draw.

Residents stepped up and overwhelmingly spoke against the outfitters pool but yet we are still the problem, go figure.

Last edited:

CoHiCntry

WKR
I can't believe any western state doesn't give first crack at leftovers to residents first. It's a real bummer to not get to hunt in your home state because you didn't draw a tag, then can't even get a leftover.

KHNC

WKR
Leftovers went to NRs by the droves when they started rolling under allocated Resident licenses into their draw, in essence basically doubling the NR quota in the first draw.
NRs should have a set quota for their draw, leftovers should go in the leftover draw.

Residents stepped up and overwhelmingly spoke against the outfitters pool but yet we are still the problem, go figure.
Are you referring to the 2nd draw here , or the actual Leftover list?

Undersubscribed tags from the resident primary draw SHOULD be available to NR hunters.

How is it fair that a resident who already entered into the primary draw and struck out, and who is GAURANTEED A GENERAL LICENSE has 1st Dibbs on leftovers??? That's just pure greed.

Maybe if residents didn't all try applying for the TOP Tier units in the first draw they would actually draw a decent tag...

Last edited:

KHNC

WKR
I can't believe any western state doesn't give first crack at leftovers to residents first. It's a real bummer to not get to hunt in your home state because you didn't draw a tag, then can't even get a leftover.
No resident in Wyoming will ever be left out on the opportunity to hunt Deer , elk , or squirrels in their state. In Wilderness areas too. :)

Last edited:

WCB

WKR
They are called general tags. Zero reason a WY resident wouldn't be able to hunt in WY. As

As far as other talking about pricing people out....it aint going to happen. What states need to do it require you to apply every year and not just buy points. Apply in a seemingly impossible unit for all I care but make them front the the tag money and apply. Give them skin in the game that no matter what there is a chance they get drawn. I also say take points for 2nd and 3rd choices even if it is just 1/2 the points, and your unit can not be the same for all 3 choices. Again skin in the game. Miss a year applying...sorry you lost your points.

Absolutely no turning in tags and keeping your points etc. Just make it cut and dry. You pay upfront, apply, and if you get a tag through any draw you lose some amount of points.

They had the ability to apply for and draw those tags before they became leftovers. The reason they are leftovers is because residents didn’t apply for them.