90/10 Rejected

bsnedeker

WKR
You get hosed. Living in the state doesn’t pay for the management of the resource. The revenue does. The numbers don’t lie, non residents contribute almost 8 dollars for every 2 dollars that residents contribute yet we get 10% of big 5 tags. And will one day get 10% of the rest of the big game tags.
Furthermore, western states receive more PR due to their geographic size while continuing to cut NR opportunity.

I have no problem paying double or triple the cost of current prices. With that said, I do have a problem paying exponentially more than residents for an increasingly dwindling slice of the pie.

I’m honestly surprised the fair and equitable inclusion lawyers haven’t found a way to exploit this in a class action lawsuit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ugh....so many people today needing me to play solo's for them on my tiny violin and I STILL can't find that damn thing!!!!

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

fatlander

WKR
Ugh....so many people today needing me to play solo's for them on my tiny violin and I STILL can't find that damn thing!!!!

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Entitlement is a hell of thing.

I wish someone else footed the bill to keep elk on the mountain so I could fumble around the woods for 5 years in my home state before finally killing a bull.

River_Rat

FNG
You get hosed. Living in the state doesn’t pay for the management of the resource. The revenue does. The numbers don’t lie, non residents contribute almost 8 dollars for every 2 dollars that residents contribute yet we get 10% of big 5 tags. And will one day get 10% of the rest of the big game tags.
Furthermore, western states receive more PR due to their geographic size while continuing to cut NR opportunity.

I have no problem paying double or triple the cost of current prices. With that said, I do have a problem paying exponentially more than residents for an increasingly dwindling slice of the pie.

I’m honestly surprised the fair and equitable inclusion lawyers haven’t found a way to exploit this in a class action lawsuit.

Because it would be a frivolous suit. Once again states are able to manage the wildlife within its borders how ever they see fit and that includes who hunts the game and how much to charge for tags. Courts already agree with the states.

River_Rat

FNG

I wish someone else footed the bill to keep elk on the mountain so I could fumble around the woods for 5 years in my home state before finally killing a bull.

Well either move to a state that allows to hunt elk for cheap, keep paying whatever states charge to apply and hunt, or quit all together. That's ur options.

fatlander

WKR
Well either move to a state that allows to hunt elk for cheap, keep paying whatever states charge to apply and hunt, or quit all together. That's ur options.

There’s always more options. If you think that what was put into place over 100 years for wildlife management will stand up to the rest of time, unchanged, you’re mistaken. Everything is up for debate and possible change in this country. We’ve moved our position on countless things over time, why would wildlife management be any different?

CoStick

WKR
U get the privilege of having said tag in ur pocket. A state allowing a nonresident to harvest a state managed game animal is a privilege not a right. And that goes for state or federal lands.
Yes but it is also a state incredibly dependent on federal aid, so I believe we all really have that privilege in WY. That being said prices doesn’t really bother me. It is this idea of we are lucky to hunt in a state we are funding attitude that is off putting.

Once again states are able to manage the wildlife within its borders how ever they see fit and that includes who hunts the game and how much to charge for tags. Courts already agree with the states.
You could put that under the subtitle of "Rokslide" on the home page and top of this site and people still wouldn't get it.....

There’s always more options. If you think that what was put into place over 100 years for wildlife management will stand up to the rest of time, unchanged, you’re mistaken. Everything is up for debate and possible change in this country. We’ve moved our position on countless things over time, why would wildlife management be any different?

If you would like to give the federal government more control of the (mis)management of wildlife, you better take a real hard look at what's happening in Alaska on refuge land and with the FSB closures. While you're at it, take a look nationally how the ESA is abused and the emotional management that blatantly ignores science that the feds seem to always take for predator management. Careful what you wish for. There is a real push right now where Alaskans are hammering their elected officials to start taking some of this federal land back because they're sick of the federal overreach in how wildlife is managed. With a potential conservative majority in a few years, it could seriously happen and I'm about to the point where I would support it.

Anyways, everyone with more than 9 points should still fomo in this year's draw just in case! Come on and burn them points!

Rich M

WKR
A thread about some good news for NRs and the typical whiners, whine,, whine,,cry,,cry. It's laughably predictable at this point.
It is irritating. The whole "it's our ball" and you can't play attitude is really sad.

Increasing NR fees by 50% - wow. $350 becomes $525. LOL! It will thin the NR hunters herd a little, but there will always be someone who wants to hunt an antelope, even at $525 a ticket or even $900 if on the Special. Then the guys start talking about that hunting is for the rich only. Wish we could save em some time and say, yes, only the folks with extra cash need apply.

wapitibob

WKR
The 50% increase in nr special draw fees was brought forward as an alternative to the special draw becoming an outfitter only draw. The thought was it would accomplish the same thing.

fatlander

WKR
A thread about some good news for NRs and the typical whiners, whine,, whine,,cry,,cry. It's laughably predictable at this point.

Who said it was that great of news?

Did NR ask for any change of the status quo?

Imagine if there was a 40-50% increase proposed on resident prices with no changes to the current allocation of tags. What would that look like? Residents would be paying for a whopping 35% of the total budget. Would you be signing the same tune about the whining that would ensue from them?

Paying the lion’s share of the bill while continually losing opportunity isn’t going to fly forever. One of these days, we’re all going to have to stand together on a unified front.

Why should the guy that can’t get a tag in your state care when the antis get their bills on your state house floor? It’s already here, and it’s not going to get any better.

Dude, not to sound like an ass but this horse has been shot, run over & beat to a pulp. There's probably 100 pages full of arguing, bitching & griping about this subject. It is what it is, just let it go & be thankful it didn't pass (for now). Buy a point & put in your application like the rest of us & be thankful you have the means & the opportunity to enjoy something 99% of the world doesn't. Have a great day & FJB!

bsnedeker

WKR

Agreed. People who think they are entitled to come out and hunt elk in my state because they are too inept to bring the population back in their state are pretty absurd!

People need to stop and think about the reason why our opportunities are shrinking. It’s because there are so many of us! Back before the internet our only source of information was reading stories from Jim Zumbo (who’s that you ask?) or stuff in Petersens and we didn’t have these problems. You can’t expect the number of elk hunters to go up by 1000% and have as many licenses and places to hunt. You also can’t expect resident hunters to no be a little protective of what they have. There are more of them and their opportunities are shrinking too.

If you think the situation sucks try having 100% draw odds but no fish and game websites, no Google Earth, Onx Etc. No gps. No talk forums. No way to research an area or get a bird’s eye satellite view. Nothing. Get in your truck, say a prayer and start driving. Imagine standing there at a trailhead looking at a mountain you’ve never seen before and trying to figure out where to go and what the elk are doing if there are any. A weapon, ammo, heavy wool clothes, something to eat and…. Your main source of intel, a paper topo map. You just started walking!

But we didn’t know anything else so nobody bitched. We just hunted and had fun. With no e-scouting success rates weren’t nearly as good. But we never heard of draw odds. There’s a trade off for everything. But I firmly believe that the western states owe us nothing. We pay the bills but if we’d all go away it wouldn’t change st that much to manage wildlife…. Or should I say to manage hunters and hunting.

Last edited:

JB64

Lil-Rokslider
As a NR hunter, I completely sympathize with Residents being protective of their instate commodity. Hunting these states will only shrink in terms of opportunity. More and more people are putting their names in the pot. Resident populations are naturally growing. Unless real progressive measures are taken it won’t be sustainable and people will get ugly for it. End of the day, we are all extremely fortunate we live where we do with the opportunities that we have. This is all a privilege, for all of us.