@$900 - does anything beat at 10x42 Monarch HG

270quest

WKR
I am selling my Tract UHD 10X42, because I just cant get use to the eye cups as I have a narrow IPD and they just don't jive.

Looking at that 2nd tier of binos which is basically your 1k binos. I can get the Nikon Monarch HG for around $900 new. I have looked through Conquest HD's and Vortex Razors, and neither really wowed me - Tract UHD had better optics and that's why I went with them. Also, not so keen on the meopta as they feel like a brick around your neck.

Thoughts? Matt Cashell sure seemed to love these HG's - saying they unseated the Meoptas in that price category,

co_archer

Lil-Rokslider
I don't own either of those sets, but I have compared the Conquest to the Monarch HG and the Maven B2. Neither impressed me as much as the Monarch HG did. I WANTED to love the Mavens as I like what they are doing as a company, but the Nikon's just were better IMO. The Zeiss were okay to me, but they didn't wow me either. I haven't had a chance to look through SLCs, but I have ELs and while I bet the SLCs would be better than the Nikons, that's another $500-$600 dollars. So unless you're willing to make that stretch, I think the Nikon's are the best at $1000.

Bcowette

FNG
I thought the eye cups on the Monarch HG were absolutely horrible. If I was getting rid of a pair of binoculars because of the eye cups the Nikon's would be the last place I would look.

co_archer

Lil-Rokslider
That's how I felt about the Zeiss. I thought the Nikon's were much better. I'm an eyeglass wearer however so that may have something to do with it. Bino's are like boots, very subjective

MThuntr

WKR
I compared the Zeiss and Nikon HG. My eyes thought they were very close. I played the coupon game and shopped around plus active junky and discount gift cards. I want to say I ended up around $700 (possibly less)

EDIT: i think the Meostars should be an option too but they are much heavier than the Nikon HG

Last edited:

mlgc20

WKR
I recently went down this path. For me it came down to the Leica Trinovids and the Leupold BX-5. I ended up going with the BX-5's. But, I felt I could have gone either way and been happy. The glass between the two was essentially identical for my eyes. I preferred the ergonomics/build feel of the BX-5s. Lot's of excellent glass in this price range. IMO, a lot of it becomes Ford/Chevy.

Steve C

Lil-Rokslider
At that price range, the optics will be the last thing that makes the choice. I have thought for years that the ultimate arbiter of user satisfaction is how the binocular feels to hand and how well it fits your face. As a good rifle needs to shoulder with the perspective target in the scope view, so does a binocular need to balance properly . That balance and feel becomes more important if you are looking at long glassing sessions.

The thing to consider is whether you feel the need for a glass from the likes of a favorite, long established company with the brand name, or whether or not you are OK with one of the new guys. Lots of guys will feel comfortable making that choice for you, but it is your gear and your money. Personally I use the Maven B2 9x45 and the B3 8x30.

OP
270quest

270quest

WKR
I wish there was a way to test the GPO locally, based on limited reviews and what Doug has shared, those may be really damn good, but again, fit to my face is a big deal.

I have the Nikon HG 8x and 10x, they are very good, but after looking through some Meostars, I would go that way if you can find a good deal on them and you don't mind the added weight.

I would look at Maven b1 or if you want to spend $100 more and add a little size, the maven b2 is what I went with after a lot of deliberation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JGRaider

WKR
Meostar HD is an easy choice for me in the $1000 class. The Trinovid HD model Leica has now isn't as good as the model it replaced. Typical dumbass move for Leica USA. After what Nikon pulled in the riflescope market I wouldn't trust a Nikon anything anymore. Their CS sucks.

If there is nowhere local to fondle the contenders, look at renting them. This way you can test them all and make the best decision for yourself.