900 grain Hog Hammer Arrows

jknix427

FNG
Just finished building these arrows for hog hunting in ETX. It is pretty tough to recover them out here due to how thick the vegetation is so trying a heavy arrow build to try to drop them quicker, hopefully blow the shoulders out. The second picture compares the 225 grain broadhead to a 100 grain iron will solid.

I use a spot hogg fast eddie xl and just had to make a few marks on the wheel for markers for the heavy arrow setup so I can bring both arrows to the field and use whichever the situation calls for.

Easton Dangerous Game 5mm
17.7 gpi 250 spine
100 gr insert
225 gr Single Bevel Steel Force Broadhead
Overall Weight is around 900 grains.

What do you guys think?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 71
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 72
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:

Mechanicsburg

Lil-Rokslider
Built same arrow for a customer last year, ended up 933 gr. 75 lbs 29” draw Vertix shoot 199 fps, took them to Africa and killed a Cape buffalo or at least he had pictures with one. Very cool arrow and quiet!

galamb

FNG
Impressive.

Should give you a slug force around .80 in the 20 to 30 yard range.

If you shoot elevated you could practically pin Piggy to the ground after blowing through both shoulders :)

TSAMP

WKR
Yeah, straight up the leg is the best shot in my experience. I think of their lungs like a football on a kicking tee with their elbow being the tee. You can shoot behind the shoulder slightly but you'll want to be high.

If you want them dead fast, ditch the single bevel and go to the widest cut on contact that you can get to tune. Hell, this is a compound setup. Switch to a good mechanical! There's zero point in going that heavy with your setup if you aren't going to maximize blood letting potential, and most of the "Shoulder" isn't bone. Now, if you intend to spine shoot them, or take the high shoulder rifle shot to stop them in their tracks, have at it, I guess. But animals run just fine with a hole in their shoulder muscles, so might as well make it a wide hole.

Just finished building these arrows for hog hunting in ETX. It is pretty tough to recover them out here due to how thick the vegetation is so trying a heavy arrow build to try to drop them quicker, hopefully blow the shoulders out. The second picture compares the 225 grain broadhead to a 100 grain iron will solid.

I use a spot hogg fast eddie xl and just had to make a few marks on the wheel for markers for the heavy arrow setup so I can bring both arrows to the field and use whichever the situation calls for.

Easton Dangerous Game 5mm
17.7 gpi 250 spine
100 gr insert
225 gr Single Bevel Steel Force Broadhead
Overall Weight is around 900 grains.

What do you guys think?
I doubt it will bounce off…

Elkhntr08

WKR
My question is why?
I hit a hog in Tennessee last year with a V100 VPA, 490 grain setup and he went all of 40’.14909C15-7C6E-49DA-B798-95F23D8A06FC.jpeg

TxxAgg

WKR
Nevermind the naysayers. Hog anatomy is tight and low up front. Might as well have an arrow that will make two holes if you hit some bones. Post up pics when you kill a few.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
My question is why?
I hit a hog in Tennessee last year with a V100 VPA, 490 grain setup and he went all of 40’.View attachment 402236

because hogs are invincible like elk and if you dont have an adult arrow of 1000 grains your shooting a kids setup. So says ranch fairy. And people believe him. I've killed a few anger shooting them in the face with #7 turkey shot and cutting their throats with my benchmade bugout. They really aint that hard to kill