900 grain Hog Hammer Arrows

because hogs are invincible like elk and if you dont have an adult arrow of 1000 grains your shooting a kids setup. So says ranch fairy. And people believe him. I've killed a few anger shooting them in the face with #7 turkey shot and cutting their throats with my benchmade bugout. They really aint that hard to kill

I don't believe you.

That bugout is too light, won't do it.

OP
J

jknix427

FNG
My question is why?
I hit a hog in Tennessee last year with a V100 VPA, 490 grain setup and he went all of 40’.View attachment 402236
I have pass throughs all the time, my goal is to put them in 2wd. Everything is so swampy/thick in ETX that they are always tough to find. Plus its off season, I just like to experiment... I doubt these will be my "forever" arrows.
You going to retune each time ?
I thought I would have to but luckily I put the heavy arrows on there and they are shooting great out to 40 yards with no adjustments for windage. The fast eddie xl has a wheel so I just made some marks on the side of the dial for 20, 30 & 40. I've been taking 2 normal arrows and 2 heavy arrows when I go and then shoot whichever arrow fits the situation best.

For everyone else, yes I did see a few Ranch Fairy videos... Having a degree in mechanical engineering I started comparing some of the information he had to the little bit of physics I could muster up and thought it was pretty interesting. Seemed like a good offseason experiment to try out on some hogs.

MattB

WKR
I have pass throughs all the time, my goal is to put them in 2wd. Everything is so swampy/thick in ETX that they are always tough to find. Plus its off season, I just like to experiment... I doubt these will be my "forever" arrows.
What leads you to believe that putting a slit or even a single bevel hole through the scapulas would do that? Again, I think you are erring by believing that an arrow will do what a bullet will with the same shot placement. Other than perhaps the spinal cord/aortic artery, there is nothing incapacitating/vital between the shoulder blades on a hog. An arrow does not have enough energy to shrapnelize the bone or deliver the sort of KE that is likely to cause incapacitating shock.

There are lots of videos on the internet of animals getting shot through the shoulder blade and running off with apparent full use of the affected leg. The reason they stop running is because of the damage to vital structures on the far side of the scapula (e.g. heart/lungs/major vessels), not because of damage to the scapula.

What leads you to believe that putting a slit or even a single bevel hole through the scapulas would do that? Again, I think you are erring by believing that an arrow will do what a bullet will with the same shot placement. Other than perhaps the spinal cord/aortic artery, there is nothing incapacitating/vital between the shoulder blades on a hog. An arrow does not have enough energy to shrapnelize the bone or deliver the sort of KE that is likely to cause incapacitating shock.

There are lots of videos on the internet of animals getting shot through the shoulder blade and running off with apparent full use of the affected leg. The reason they stop running is because of the damage to vital structures on the far side of the scapula (e.g. heart/lungs/major vessels), not because of damage to the scapula.

Unfortunately around here a number of years ago, it took new crossbow shooters a while to realize that a pointy stick ain't a bullet.

Heard several stories that they don't work too well out truck windows either. Give a pretty massive kick.

OP
J

jknix427

FNG

You maybe right! Just testing extremes to see what’s possible! Hoping to hit a little bit of everything.

OP
J

jknix427

FNG
Built same arrow for a customer last year, ended up 933 gr. 75 lbs 29” draw Vertix shoot 199 fps, took them to Africa and killed a Cape buffalo or at least he had pictures with one. Very cool arrow and quiet!
They are definitely much slower, but noticeably quiter as well.

OP
J

jknix427

FNG
I think if you want to blow out scapulas you should try a gun.
I've done plenty of testing with a gun, I agree guns definitely work great! The go to .270 puts them down in their tracks!