9MM ammo for bears defense?

FLAK

WKR
If it can be done with a "9" then my .45 Super with 255gr. BB Hardcast should be good. And, it brings new hope to us .357 lovers.

SIontheHunt

Lil-Rokslider
View attachment 209866

A 22LR in its eye socket will do the job but under duress its a whole different scenario and variables @ play, so I'am falling back on the little Jiujiutsu i know. JK

IMO if the bear wants you dead it will most likely kill you...you have a small chance with a gun.

Yeah a small 97% chance with a handgun. Better if your gun fires and you can shoot under pressure.

Wrench

WKR
This is the bear I killed with the 10mm. The results were 16" of penetration and that was a lot of bone. I used a 200xtp and normally carried 200gr gas checked hardcast, but was going to shoot some copper due to leading that day when things got sporty.

Since that day I have settled on a g43x with 15rd mag loaded with 147 berry's over 5gr longshot. This load produces enough penetration and is more pleasant to shoot accurately and size and weight allow it to ride more handily.

I'd not go hunting big bears with the 9, but it will have enough to make it square if you can shoot it well...and let's be honest, everyone shoots less gun better.

I have many 10's, 44's including the 329, 460, 454, 45 super....and much more, but this is a setup that I know I won't stash in my pack due to weight.

If you haven't seen the berry's hybrid performance.....its worth a look.

Screenshot_2017-06-24-09-22-57.png

norge

FNG
Great discussion. I think the interesting question is how does the heavy solid hard cast bullets (such as 10mm bb/underwood 220gr HC or bb 9mm 147gr HC) compare to the much lighter, faster, newer designed bullets (such as underwood 140gr xtreme penetrator or the G9 9mm 124gr woodsman or g9 10mm 145gr woodman) in terms of effectiveness of stopping an angry charging brown/black bear. Historic data (anecdotal accounts) mentioned clearly favors the heavy hard cast bullets as I am not aware of accounts using the lighter copper bullets. But these newly designed bullets are theoretically interesting to me as they are suppose to have superior penetration and cause a much greater wound channel and thus stopping a potential threat.
It would be valuable to see a head to head comparison with a realistic test. The results from that would help guide one what to chamber in their 9mm or 10mm guns.
Anyone aware of personal experience or studies comparing BB hard cast ammo to G9 woodsman or Underwood XP?
Being in the medical field, before I can change my practice/therapies, etc, I need to see sufficient studies that prove another method is better than the current treatment. For now, I would think one would have to go with historical accounts over theoretical data in choosing the right bullet for their personal protection.

mcseal2

WKR
I have not seen field results. Gel tests or water jug tests I’ve watched on Youtube show less penetration with the Extreme Penetrator or similar loads. Also they seem to have more of a tendency to change trajectory after impact.

Not sure how well those tests simulate a real animal but I watched them anyway.

Biggest reason I stuck with hardcast in my 10mm is that when I tried the faster, lighter, Underwood Extreme Penetrator loads they hit high compared to my sights. The hardcast hit where I hold.

Fireball

FNG
Happy to help.

Part of the "secret sauce" is the now hard-to-find Extreme Shock ammo. Here's an example of the havoc it can wreak:

Just imagine that x 66.

Fireball

FNG
It takes practice. When one becomes skilled, it is almost Ninja-like. The cross-draw fouls the bear up. While it pauses, one quickly attains the deadly advantage.

Great discussion. I think the interesting question is how does the heavy solid hard cast bullets (such as 10mm bb/underwood 220gr HC or bb 9mm 147gr HC) compare to the much lighter, faster, newer designed bullets (such as underwood 140gr xtreme penetrator or the G9 9mm 124gr woodsman or g9 10mm 145gr woodman) in terms of effectiveness of stopping an angry charging brown/black bear. Historic data (anecdotal accounts) mentioned clearly favors the heavy hard cast bullets as I am not aware of accounts using the lighter copper bullets. But these newly designed bullets are theoretically interesting to me as they are suppose to have superior penetration and cause a much greater wound channel and thus stopping a potential threat.
It would be valuable to see a head to head comparison with a realistic test. The results from that would help guide one what to chamber in their 9mm or 10mm guns.
Anyone aware of personal experience or studies comparing BB hard cast ammo to G9 woodsman or Underwood XP?
Being in the medical field, before I can change my practice/therapies, etc, I need to see sufficient studies that prove another method is better than the current treatment. For now, I would think one would have to go with historical accounts over theoretical data in choosing the right bullet for their personal protection.

have you used any of the G9 ammunition?

TheGDog

WKR
Ugh ... remember these words... "Never give CPR to a dead joke."

If it bombs, just let it go, and don't try to save it.