9MM ammo for bears defense?

I can catch .380’s in my teeth. That is how slow they are.
Christ sakes, it was a joke. I have no loyalty to any caliber but why someone would take a 380 over a 9 mm is beyond me. The problem the .380 had is they weren’t carrying enough velocity to fully open up your defensive hollow point rounds. Maybe that’s been corrected.
What color is the dress your wearing?

and whoever is using hollow points for bear defense needs to re-examine their thought.

Lowg08

WKR
I would choose a solid cast projectile. The biggest thing for me is to be a proficient shooter. A well placed shot with bad ammo will be better than a horribly placed shot with far superior ammo

I would choose a solid cast projectile. The biggest thing for me is to be a proficient shooter. A well placed shot with bad ammo will be better than a horribly placed shot with far superior ammo
Not sure. Brown bears you need penetration. Ammo is extremely important here. That solid cast ammo gets penetration and I personally know someone that dumped a full mag of jhp 10mm into a brown bear. It lived, but he was able to turn the bear away from him.

Lowg08

WKR
I agree ammo is important but a cast bullet to the leg in my opinion would not do as well as a cast bullet to the head

dla

WKR
I have both a Glock 19 and 20.I practice with both but shoot the 19 much better.Fortunately haven't had to use either.
So much info out there about ammo I took the recommendations that sounded valid and did my own tests on thick cedar creosoted posts(admittedly not scientific).Then I decided on what I will use.(FWIW)
For the 20:a clip staggered with Underwood 200 gr Hard cast(1250fps) and Underwood 140 gr Extreme Penetrators(1500fps)
If out of the Penetrators would substitute 150 gr Extreme Hunters(1425fps)

For the 19:115 gr Extreme Penetrators(1250fps)
I think you would be much better off with hardcast.
Here is some info from a fellow who tested "extreme penetrators": https://general-cartridge.com/category/field-loads/

SoDaky

WKR
dla yes I've seen that.There are a number of 'tests'going all over on them,that's why I did my own.I came to my own conclusions based on my tests.Go with what works for you for sure.

jmazz

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone had any issues with the Buffalo Bore 9mm+P Outdoorsman?

I tried it in a Glock 19, Glock 23 with 9mm Conversion Barrel, and S&W M&P 9mm. I couldn't get the Buffalo Bore to chamber correctly in the Glock 23/9mm and S&W. It chambers perfectly fine in my Glock 19.

I guess the lesson here that relates to the thread is to test out the ammunition with your specific pistol before you carry it into bear country.

Ryan, these would be my top picks. I'm going to run them in my G43 while guiding in Alaska. After watching some impressive youtube videos out of a 9mm. I feel confident sleeping in the bush with this combo.

Lehigh defense extreme penetrator
Lehigh extreme defense bullets
G9 Woodsman
G9 EHP

Jake
@elkhunter34

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Ryan, these would be my top picks. I'm going to run them in my G43 while guiding in Alaska. After watching some impressive youtube videos out of a 9mm. I feel confident sleeping in the bush with this combo.

Lehigh defense extreme penetrator
Lehigh extreme defense bullets
G9 Woodsman
G9 EHP

Jake
@elkhunter34

I got my wife a glock 43 and use the leghigh defense penetrators, I feel comfortable with her carrying that.

MrTim

FNG
In addition to bear spray, I carry a G19 in griz country. That’s the only pistol I have. I load it with 147 grain fmj. These feed and shoot well. Never had to use it against a bear.
For what it’s worth, it did kill a bovine cow that had to be put down. 1st one to the skull put her out of commission, the 2nd killed her.

Anyone know how the 9mm Buffalo Bore +P Outdoorsman round directly compares to the Buffalo Bore +P+ Penetrator? For bears and cats.

Beendare

WKR
Has anyone had any issues with the Buffalo Bore 9mm+P Outdoorsman?

I tried it in a Glock 19, Glock 23 with 9mm Conversion Barrel, and S&W M&P 9mm. I couldn't get the Buffalo Bore to chamber correctly in the Glock 23/9mm and S&W. It chambers perfectly fine in my Glock 19.

I guess the lesson here that relates to the thread is to test out the ammunition with your specific pistol before you carry it into bear country.

Well of course you have to test it if you are betting your life on it- practice too. I've run a couple hundred rounds of the BB +P ammo in my G17 and G19 stock barrels- no problems. I haven't tested it like my primary G20- that I've run over 500rds of Underwood 200gr hardcast in without one failure [stock barrel, no leading issues if you clean it regularly]

I can see why many don't test to this^ extent...the dang ammo costs you as much as the pistol!

I also have a KKM conversion barrel in my G23 and wouldn't use that as my defensive pistol. The KKM barrel has a tighter chamber by a couple thousandths- probably why you are having feeding issues.
I have only had a couple FTF's in thousands of rounds through my G23/9mm KKM and those FTF's could be due to new shooters limp wristing it.

______

Last edited:
OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
If you wanna see how bad you can piss off a grizzly bear that’s already charging to kill you......go ahead and shoot it with a 9mm...........maybe your partner will hear you die screaming and can shoot it with his 10mm....
I got a life lesson with a huge black sow and a 40cal last fall.....10mm or larger for me from here on out.
If your gonna go....go big..

Love the matter of fact...opinion on grizz!

From all my research a 10mm ain’t doing much over a 9mm with good bullets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MtnOyster

WKR
Love the matter of fact...opinion on grizz!

From all my research a 10mm ain’t doing much over a 9mm with good bullets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
good luck with any caliber you choose, hopefully you’ll never have to use it...

Wolvie604

FNG
For what it’s worth-

I once defence shot a black with a 147 grain 9 organ region when it got up after being hit by a truck quicker then expected. It didn’t like it. Bear went to tree and earned a 308 headshot.

I would be shocked to see the same reaction from a G bear though.