9MM ammo for bears defense?

dla

WKR
Ryan, these would be my top picks. I'm going to run them in my G43 while guiding in Alaska. After watching some impressive youtube videos out of a 9mm. I feel confident sleeping in the bush with this combo.

Lehigh defense extreme penetrator
Lehigh extreme defense bullets
G9 Woodsman
G9 EHP

Jake
@elkhunter34
Testing says otherwise. Plain 147gr hardcast is far better. See links in earlier posts.

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
My S&W 69 44 is brutal compared to either of my 10mm’s with “bear loads” in each. Cant imagine shooting hundreds of magnums through the 44 in a short course. I could with 44 special practice ammo no problem. I would bet his course doesn't require all hot ammo. I have not looked up the course but did hear that podcast.
Second the brutalness of shooting my Redhawk 5 1/2 in barrel 44 mag with BB 340g +P+

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

264win

WKR
No experience with grizzlies, fortunately but I have killed black bears with both the Buffalo bore 147 gr and Hornady 147 xtp. Both shoot great out of my pistols and did the job with one shot.
For grizzlies I would definitely go with the buffalo bore or equivalent hard cast.
For anything smaller the Hornady 147 xtp.

Gocougs

FNG
I have heard the 9mm is a better round than a 40 or 45 too. I like the 9mm or 10mm because you get alot more rounds in the mag then the big bear guns usually only have 6 rounds. I will take my 15 rounds in 10mm or 17 in 9mm. plus the gun doesn't weigh so much as the big 44 mag. i have heard the fast lighter hot loads are best over heavy slow.

Gocougs

FNG
No experience with the Lehigh that Tyler recommended but I've heard good things about it. Buffalo Bore Hardcast gets my vote. This one came out of an attacking brown bear on Kodiak. Same bullet design, just an extra mm.

B3qJZii.jpg
Nice glad to see it worked. I got a 10mm and those bullets! haven't had to use them yet

mcseal2

WKR
One nice thing about this forum is that we can have a logic based discussion about bear defense. In the past I had a discussion with another hunter on this subject. He was certain his 9mm with Buffalo Bore ammo was far more powerful than my 357. I showed him the numbers from Buffalo Bore’s website showing the difference in velocity, energy, and bullet weight. Same bullet design. He was still sure I was wrong. I decided I could not fix stupid and gave up. I say carry what makes you happy and what you are comfortable with.

ewescue

Lil-Rokslider
Slightly off topic but what are everyone's opinion on a .38+P revolver shooting 158 grn BB hardcasts as well as spray in grizz country? Obviously not the ideal caliber or gun, but if it were this combo or no handgun (theoretically) what level of comfort would you have?

fmyth

WKR
Slightly off topic but what are everyone's opinion on a .38+P revolver shooting 158 grn BB hardcasts as well as spray in grizz country? Obviously not the ideal caliber or gun, but if it were this combo or no handgun (theoretically) what level of comfort would you have?

Bella Twin killed a world record grizzly with a .22lr in 1953. The next world record grizzly was killed in 1965 with one 30/30 bullet by Jack Turner. Two people with brass balls and good luck for sure. Google Bella Twin for a cool story.

A .38+P with hardcast and bear spray would be better than nothing. I carry a 10mm in grizzly/brown bear country and still feel vulnerable.

mcseal2

WKR
That 38 ammo is pushing a 158gr bullet of the same design 150fps faster than the 147gr 9mm buffalo bore load. Its a more powerful load. Lots of guys here seem to be comfortable with the 9mm. I’m not going to tell you what to, thats your choice, but wanted to show the comparison.

Beendare

WKR
Yeah, that World record bear was shot in the temple- as I recall- from short range with a .22 long. I'm pretty sure she dropped it with one shot. Its doubtful we as hunters will get a defensive shot in the thinnest part of the skull.

Still pretty amazing that a 30gr +/- bullet is that effective. I used to use a little .22 revolver on trapped hogs and it just drops them if you put it in the ear hole. If you miss by a few inches, they just shake it off.

Its a given in these situations we want penetrating ammo....vs expanding ammo. The FBI studies don't do us much good in that respect.

Has anyone ever seen .22 magnum hard cast ammo?

______

Terrapin

WKR
Bella Twin killed a world record grizzly with a .22lr in 1953. The next world record grizzly was killed in 1965 with one 30/30 bullet by Jack Turner. Two people with brass balls and good luck for sure. Google Bella Twin for a cool story.

A .38+P with hardcast and bear spray would be better than nothing. I carry a 10mm in grizzly/brown bear country and still feel vulnerable.

Bella Twin story was indeed worth reading, thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fmyth

WKR
Yeah, that World record bear was shot in the temple- as I recall- from short range with a .22 long. I'm pretty sure she dropped it with one shot. Its doubtful we as hunters will get a defensive shot in the thinnest part of the skull.

Still pretty amazing that a 30gr +/- bullet is that effective. I used to use a little .22 revolver on trapped hogs and it just drops them if you put it in the ear hole. If you miss by a few inches, they just shake it off.

Its a given in these situations we want penetrating ammo....vs expanding ammo. The FBI studies don't do us much good in that respect.

Has anyone ever seen .22 magnum hard cast ammo?

______
I agree and in no way was recommending using .22lr for bear defense.

Slower moving, heavy for caliber projectiles provide the best penetration into the CNS, which is what's required to stop a bear. Get heavy hard cast lead bullets and probably a barrel specific for those bullets.

No experience with grizzlies, fortunately but I have killed black bears with both the Buffalo bore 147 gr and Hornady 147 xtp. Both shoot great out of my pistols and did the job with one shot.
For grizzlies I would definitely go with the buffalo bore or equivalent hard cast.
For anything smaller the Hornady 147 xtp.

Can you elaborate? Intentional and hunting or dispatched roadkill?

Slower moving, heavy for caliber projectiles provide the best penetration into the CNS, which is what's required to stop a bear. Get heavy hard cast lead bullets and probably a barrel specific for those bullets.
Why would you want "slower moving"?

The CNS is only 2" deep from the surface of the hide on a bear. Think most people have never even shot a bear yet become ballistic experts via YouTube

Last edited:

207-12A

Lil-Rokslider
For what it’s worth, back when I was a bear guide, my boss saw me carrying a Glock 19 my first week in the field. He promptly told me “be sure to take the sights off that thing”. Seeing my puzzled look, he followed up with “it’ll hurt a lot less when the bear shoves it up your ass!” I now carry a Glock 20.