9mm backcountry?

brsnow

WKR
Looking for a good balance of weigh/performance. Will most likely be attached to FHF bino harness. Any suggestions/insights appreciated.

Muttly

WKR
CZ P10C, one option. Fairly light, no FTFs or malfunctions yet, easy to shoot well.
And it fits my paws fairly well, naturally lined up on target for me, I seem to hold low with a Glock.

Tmac

WKR
I carry a S & W Shield 40 on my Bino harness. It’s an Alaska Guides Creation harness with their holster. Similar to the FHF you plan to use. It works well. It’s the best combo, for me, of weight and power I currently own.

Dvidos

Lil-Rokslider
CZ P10C, one option. Fairly light, no FTFs or malfunctions yet, easy to shoot well.
And it fits my paws fairly well, naturally lined up on target for me, I seem to hold low with a Glock.
+1
BB.jpg

West.mass.hunter

Lil-Rokslider
My brother has an HK VP9 and it's probably the most comfortable pistol I've ever held. It fits my hand like it was custom made for it. With that being said glocks have a huge following for a reason but for me, I personally like revolvers while in the field

Walther PPQ M2 is worth a look see.

BY FAR my most accurate handgun that I own, and I have a few. The best trigger on a stock handgun that I’ve ever shot which is probably the main reason it shoots as well as it does.

Tough to beat a Glock 19 or a Springfield XD-M though. Both are solid options that are very reliable.

How about 9mm backcountry ammo...? (OP please redirect if you are only wanting to discuss pistols.)

I recently picked up various 9mm Underwood offerings. I run a stock G19 gen 5 and will test reliability with these. I am not interested in beefing up with aftermarket spring/barrel at this point. My carry ammo is Speer Gold Dot 124g.

Anybody else on ammo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jherek

Lil-Rokslider
I carry a S & W Shield 40 on my Bino harness. It’s an Alaska Guides Creation harness with their holster. Similar to the FHF you plan to use. It works well. It’s the best combo, for me, of weight and power I currently own.

Tmac

How well do you like that holster, and is everything nice and secure when mounted to the harness?

Thanks

Full size or a compact? I think the benefits of 9mm are weight and size. I like the sig 365, pretty good accuracy for it's size. Carried one last year while hunting. If you are going to be carrying a full-size pistol, I'd go bigger than 9mm, 357 sig or 10 mm in a pistol. Revolver opens more options.

Best gun to carry is one that you will have on you. I don't like the extra weight most of the time, that's how I settled on the 365. It's rated for +p ammo and can run hardcast if you want. Has pretty good mag capacity as well.

My brother has an HK VP9 and it's probably the most comfortable pistol I've ever held. It fits my hand like it was custom made for it. With that being said glocks have a huge following for a reason but for me, I personally like revolvers while in the field

I just got one of these and it’s pretty nice. Have a few other 9s and this one is pretty solid. Also like my FN, though it’s larger and doesn’t shoot quite as well.

pyrotechnic

Lil-Rokslider
If you're wanting something light, the g48 /g43x might suit your needs well. I run my g48 in a razco holster under an FHF bino harness. It's about as small a pistol that I feel I can shoot almost as well as the G19 sized guns.

I haven't tried any heavy hardcast loads in it yet so I don't know how it will function with them. They usually tend to be loaded hot and slide speeds will be up. I've been carrying 124gr +P HST and I've put several hundred rounds of it through the gun no problem. So far I've only taken it in black bear country and feel that will be adequate. I'll find a heavy hardcast round that functions well before I venture too far into grizzly lands though.

Federal supposedly released a line of hardcast ammo. I have high hopes that they're loaded to normal velocities and will function fine in most semi-auto guns.

OP
B

brsnow

WKR
If you're wanting something light, the g48 /g43x might suit your needs well. I run my g48 in a razco holster under an FHF bino harness. It's about as small a pistol that I feel I can shoot almost as well as the G19 sized guns.

I haven't tried any heavy hardcast loads in it yet so I don't know how it will function with them. They usually tend to be loaded hot and slide speeds will be up. I've been carrying 124gr +P HST and I've put several hundred rounds of it through the gun no problem. So far I've only taken it in black bear country and feel that will be adequate. I'll find a heavy hardcast round that functions well before I venture too far into grizzly lands though.

Federal supposedly released a line of hardcast ammo. I have high hopes that they're loaded to normal velocities and will function fine in most semi-auto guns.

This sounds good, am curious how it performs with hardcast. Will look into it.

Tmac

WKR
Tmac

How well do you like that holster, and is everything nice and secure when mounted to the harness?

Thanks

The holster fits that gun well. I have to use the hard clip they provide and carry it low against the bino case with the strap fairly snug to keep it from flopping around. Once it’s in the sweet spot, it is secure and easily at hand. The retention is Velcro and secure.

Different guns for different areas/needs. Are you worried about people? Bears? Moose? I match the load to the probable target. Usually hardcast .44 or 10mm now. I want something that will stop a steer that decides he doesn't like me. Had some bulls on private ranches give me a run for my money. Bovine are a greater threat than bear, cats and people combined IMHO.