9mm backcountry?

OP
B

brsnow

WKR
Different guns for different areas/needs. Are you worried about people? Bears? Moose? I match the load to the probable target. Usually hardcast .44 or 10mm now. I want something that will stop a steer that decides he doesn't like me. Had some bulls on private ranches give me a run for my money. Bovine are a greater threat than bear, cats and people combined IMHO.

Mostly wolves/bear, but I am not looking to go up in caliber. Appreciate the insights though.

AZsniper

WKR
I agree with TMac. I think the S&W Shield in 40 gives you better stopping power, is light and easy to carry.

Terrapin

WKR
Glock 43 is the best personal defense pistol I own for backcountry... mostly because it actually goes everywhere with me rather than getting left behind.

I’m going to use Underwood FMJ-FN +P ammo. It is specifically designed for penetration in things like bears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every self respecting, non hipster, gun owner should have one.

Alright, I’m convinced now. My wife hates this forum. It keeps making me buy more guns?

I’ve got three 9s, but it looks like I’ll have to get a fourth. Like shooting my 1911s more but cheap ammo can’t be beat for the 9 mm.

Mosby

WKR
I use a Glock 20 when I am in areas with grizzly bears but its a bit big when I am scouting and hiking around in places like Colorado. I have decided to buy a small, lightweight, compact 9mm for camping and hiking.

I have narrowed my search down to a Sig 365 or a Springfield Hellcat. I love Glocks but I prefer a pistol with a manual safety when I am in my hammock or tent and its out of holster. Both also weigh less than 18 oz. For this specific purpose, weight is important.

Last edited:

Riplip

WKR
Tough to beat the Sig P365 for weight and size. Shoots great, and you barely know you are carrying it.
Glock 19 is always a solid choice, although a bit bigger than the Sig.

There’s the Glock 19, then everything else. Period.

You are trouble @16Bore - I done dropped $150 on targets from that reply on steel the other day. Spanked an easy 1k 22lr rounds with my middle kid today. Will have to go grab a Glock now so I don’t feel so out of place on this forum.

brushape

WKR
Love my poly80 glock 23 clone, here’s a 30 round group I shot at various ranges out to 30 yards in a training class before all this quarantine bs started, and a coyote I shot last weekend at 41 yards
86ad1f8f656b390cfa851ce8009aca6c.jpg
7a8151798295b5677131f6fde4ade208.jpg

Savage99

WKR
If I had one pistol it would be a glock 19. Add a surefire xc1 and some night sights for the win.

Surefire, when your life depends on it. I have a TLR-7 on mine, but it’s was a close contest.

I talked to some guys who skinned a black bear and found six .45 slugs just under the hide & fat that never made it to the vitals. Make sure you have some heavy hardcast...I'd stop up in caliber for bear (but not wolves). A 15rd magazine would be advisable.