9mm Bear defense pistol ammo?

Dan23

FNG
I want to start carrying my glock 26 in black bear woods when i go hunting. What ammo do you recommend for bear? i know a 9mm is underpowered and blah blah blah but that's what im carrying. I was looking at Buffalo Bore 9mm Luger +P+ PENETRATOR Ammo 124GR FMJ OR Buffalo Bore 9MM +P OUTDOORSMAN 147gr. Hard Cast. If anyone recommends anything else i would like to hear it, if not which ammo would you recommend?

jpmulk

WKR
Im running the outdoorsman's 147 grain hardcast. I think either is good. But from some basic research I did, the 147 grain outdoorsmans will have more foot pounds of energy. Do your own research though.

I also think pistol caliber arguments regarding bear defense are somewhat over rated to a point. It doesn't matter what pistol caliber you pick, they don't cause the high pressure waves that cause tissue damage the way a rifle does. So at the end of the day, all you are fighting for in the caliber argument is penetration to reach vital organs. When it comes to bear defense, whatever ammo you can shoot quickly and accurately will be the best. you ultimately want to let that bear know you are biting back. From my understanding, 9mm outperforms .45 or .40. So honestly, its not as bad of pick as others say it is. It is definitely enough for black bear.

I want to start carrying my glock 26 in black bear woods when i go hunting. What ammo do you recommend for bear? i know a 9mm is underpowered and blah blah blah but that's what im carrying. I was looking at Buffalo Bore 9mm Luger +P+ PENETRATOR Ammo 124GR FMJ OR Buffalo Bore 9MM +P OUTDOORSMAN 147gr. Hard Cast. If anyone recommends anything else i would like to hear it, if not which ammo would you recommend?
9mm is not underpowered for black bears. I don’t think they are tough animals. If no grizz in the area, I carry my Glock 43 with XTPs. Really you could use anything, you don’t need hardcast or +P, they aren’t the apex predator that the grizz and browns are. I always compare them to a big coyote, they are super easy to kill and aren’t very aggressive.

BLJ

WKR
What would the opinion be of 115 FMJ’s? I would think they would hold together, penetrate bone, and begin to tumble, causing a lot of of internal damage. Am I off base on this?

MattB

WKR
What would the opinion be of 115 FMJ’s? I would think they would hold together, penetrate bone, and begin to tumble, causing a lot of of internal damage. Am I off base on this?
From what I have read, FMJ bullets are more prone to deflect. You want maximum penetration, and deflection or tumbling do not further that goal.

BLJ

WKR
Bones(shoulder,skull,scapula) would deflect a FMJ? Genuine question. Do you have a link? Thanks.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I like those Buffalo bore 147g outdoorsman’s. The leg high 115g penetrators are also good stuff.

124g Speer Gold Dot

MattB

WKR
Bones(shoulder,skull,scapula) would deflect a FMJ? Genuine question. Do you have a link? Thanks.
I should clarify my comment as pertaining to round nose FMJ which is what I presume was being reference. You can look at the Buffalo Bore website for their perspective which mirrors what I have read elsewhere.

BLJ

WKR
@MattB. I was referring to the normal run of the mill round nose FMJ. I’ll check out Buffalo Bore. Thanks.

Estiva

FNG
I think a 9MM is adequate for black bears, especially with specialty (non-range) ammo. However, I would not recommend hollow point bullets. You want more penetration to get through the tough hide, fat, and bone of a bear. I am assuming you are clear of Grizzly country. The range for a Grizzly is only in Montana, Wyoming (near Yellostone), and the Bitteroot area of Idaho. It would be EXTREMELY rare to encounter one in say, Colorado. Black bears are smaller and not as aggressive a grizzlies, and they are more timid. I have backpacked in the Smoky Mountains several times and never encountered one. An alternative to Buffalo Bore is Underwood Xtreme Penetrator +P in 115gr. MAKE SURE YOUR PISTOL CAN SAFELY FIRE A +P+. Many standard pistols can not, and it would be dangerous to do so. Also, have bear spray.