9mm Bear defense pistol ammo?

traildust

Lil-Rokslider
Here's what I run. Zero issues.

I did have some feed issues with the Xtreme Penetrators in both my 9mm & 10mm , so I wont recommend them

G9 Defense

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Weston, from G9 Defense here. I strongly recommend our 124gr +P Woodsman in this context. If a 9mm is what you have, absolutely carry it over bear spray or nothing. Oddly enough, projectile was initially designed by request of a Scandinavian gov agency that need a 9mm round capable of dispatching a polar bear. If you're going to use any pistol caliber for bear defense, you should choose a product that not only penetrates deeply without deformation, but leaves a wound channel the whole way.

Traditional hollow points (when they open as designed) might create some wounding on target, but only in the first couple inches. When going through heavy hide or bone, a hollow point will most likely clog or deform causing it to pencil through just like an FMJ. Heavy hard cast is capable of deeper penetration and overcoming bones. However, penetration alone does not stop a threat, unless the round breaks down a critical bone, has a good hit on vitals, or penetrates the CNS.

Our 9mm +P Woodsman has been shown in third party testing to penetrate 34" and leave a 13.1 cubic inch permanent wound cavity in ballistic gel. The penetration exceeds FMJs and the wounding drastically exceeds hollow points. This gives the best of both worlds to make 9mm a legit bear defense caliber. BUT, if you're hunting in grizzly country year after year, I'd still save up for a 10mm.

Use offer code ROKSLIDE for a discount at g9defense.com

Yoder

WKR
I would use a 147 FMJ +P+ if that exists. That would give the most penetration. I think the noise will save you more than anything. I had a black bear that was at least 300lbs follow me. I yelled at it, threw rocks at it and it finally wandered off. I started walking out to my truck and about ten minutes later I heard something behind me. I turned around and that bear was running towards me. He stopped about 30 yards from me. That's when I decided to shoot a nearby tree with my G26. He took off. If he didn't I thought I was going to have to shoot him. I think people were feeding him. I never seen a bear act like that. He had no fear.

Trial153

WKR
This was my first year using 147 grain coated hard cast from Underwood. It feeds great out of my FN and Glock. I also shoot it, and any 9mm better than Glock 29. So with that in mind I sold the 29…. Going carry a 9mm now when I am in bowhunting grizzly county.

I carry the underwood xtreme penetrator in the woods and the xtreme defense for daily carry around town, they both feed fine in all my 9mm's. That g9 stuff looks nice too. Probably check it out when i run out of the underwood stuff

rope

FNG
Check out--- "The Alaska Outdoor Podcast" with Alaska guide Phil Shoemaker. He used a 9mm to defend a client, that had a grizz standing over. Phil talks about what bullets to use. He used DoubleTap hard cast to kill that grizz. Lots of good info in the podcast.

Highlights are use hardcast then FJM and NOT hollowpoints. However, I would rather HP over a sharp stick. If I have a 9 with me I have the Buffalo bore 147 +P.

2531usmc

WKR

Federal Solid Core 9mm Luger +P is a good option. 147 gr in a hard case type factory load​

Pdzoller

WKR
Carry whatever you want but a 9mm isn’t good for anything but targets and small animals. I shot a hog in the head at point blank with a fmj. It bled from its nose and the hole in its head and went back to eating its grain. A 9mm vs a sow with cubs that feels cornered is just starting a fight you won’t win. Been there and I’m positive that my choice not to shoot saved me from a bad day. Better off with bear spray.

Last edited:

TheGDog

WKR
Definitely want to get a round designed to penetrate deeply. Their bones can get reDONKulously thick!

In this picture, I'm holding a Bear Humerus (Upper Arm Bone) that I found in D13. At it's THINNEST.. it's 4" diameter. (Just a friend in the picture.)

14915419_10154020774557361_3101463341740299869_n.jpg

bat-cave

WKR
+ 1 for 147gr Outdoorsman when carrying a 9mm.

For a slightly spicier option using the same platform, check out - https://www.460rowland.com/

The 460 Rowland is essentially a .45 Wildat ... and the 960 Rowland is for 9mm. You swap the barrel and chamber 960 Rowland ammo and get higher velocity round (on par with a .357). I dropped a 960 Rowland Barrel into an old Gen 2.5 G17 and while I haven't had to use it for it's intended purpose (and hopefully I never do), it's fun to shoot and adds a bit more potency to a platform I carry everyday (Small Lie, I carry a G19 variant) ... but you get the idea.

Last edited:
I am running unknown munitions 124 gr +p line in my model 19 and it’s doing great for most things I have come across and shot

AkRyan

WKR
Buy what you think will work and then go screw 6 pieces of 2x4 or 2x6 together. Shoot it at 10 yards and see how many it goes through. Imo hard cast or extreme penetrators in the 140g class are solid choices.

AkRyan

WKR
Forgot to mention that there is a study on bears that have been killed in self defense situations and 9mm was #1 on that list.