A 26" all around bbl

Vandy321

WKR
Looking at picking up a new OU...I sold a silver pigeon a few years back and regret doing so. Have always had 28" guns, both OUs and autoloaders. I used to hunt waterfowl 45 days/year, not so much anymore. My shooting now consists of the occasional upland hunt (grouse, pheasant, quail, chukar), occasional waterfowl, an occasional walking course or a round of skeet.

Tight quarters and the need for quick shots in the grouse woods make me want to go 26", but everything I read, and why I went with 28" last time was that 28" is just a better all around bbl length, outside of grouse habitat. Anybody shooting a 26" gun for a variety of stuff and have any complaints? Folks with a 28" that wish they'd gone 26"?

I sympathize for your loss of the pidge- I have one in 20ga (26") and it'll be an heirloom, no doubt.
My advice: learn to shoot the gun that fits you and FORGET about everyone else.
if you're in love with the 26", get it. A good hunting buddy of mine has made some absolutely mind blowing shots on waterfowl with a 26" (12ga) shooting nothing but IC. It's truly remarkable.
On the other hand, I favor a 28" for most things, simply because it's my only 12 gauge and the ammo is more readily available (usually). In 12ga, 28" is my preference, but that's also because I like the way it points/balances with my frame. I prefer the 20ga when shooting a 26". Too damn much fun.
You can always buy 2 😀
Good luck!

Jeverett

FNG
I agree with the above in that you should find something that fits you and dont worry about anything else. A well fit gun will likely lead to fewer missed birds and a happier gun owner! I have one O/U in 20 gauge that is a 28" bbl that I upland hunt with and a 12 gauge in 26" that waterfowl hunt. I would recommend shooting some of your buddies guns at the range to see what you get along with best. Good luck with the search.

I switch to a 26 from a 28. Only regret i didn't do it earlier. No difference in pattern. I would say i'm a better shot w a 26.

Oregon

WKR
I have a stainless red label with 26” tubes. From snipe to turkeys and everything in between. Long barrels just get in the way.

Norm555

WKR
I believe the most important thing with shotguns is feel and how they swing for you. I'd try to pick-up both to compare the options. If a 26" feels better, go for it. 28" barrels tend to just swing better for me personally.

• Banned
OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
I ordered a 26" to my local gun ship, had to buy it to get it in, but can get refunded if it doesn't swing well for me in the store.

We'll see. The arguement I always saw for linger barrels was a linger sight plain, but I don't aim with the bead so I don't see a benefit there.

Swing weight/balance makes sense to me as something that would he impacted going shorter/longer.

Thanks for the advice fellas, we'll see how I like the 26.

Gseith

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with find one that fits and buy two guns.
my grouse gun is a super light 1920’s double, Ithaca 12 gauge with 30” barrels. Swings like a dream for me.
Duck gun is a much heavier double 12 made for steel shot. It has 28” barrels with choke tubes.

greenomics

Lil-Rokslider
I much prefer 28" in my o/u. Never felt 28" to be too cumbersome on quail or pheasant flushes.

I prefer the 26” barrel. I grew up hunting with an 1187 with a 26” tube. I still shoot that gun better than anything else, and it still kills birds like crazy. I wish the barrel on my gold Hunter was 26 instead of 28.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk