A 9mm PCC for home defense ?!?!?

jadkins223

Lil-Rokslider
So I’m really wanting to build something for very close quarter range run and home defense. Something that I can suppress. I was about to go down the 300 BO road. 8” barrel and can etc. but then I got to thinking about a 9mm of some sort. I love the idea of not having to trim 9mm brass for reloading. Whatever platform I go with I want it to be cheap, easy, and fun to shoot. Also suppressor friendly. Sole purpose is home defense and very close quarter shooting. Would love some other opinions of others that have went down this road. I already have plenty of full size guns to handle all hunting and long range stuff.

Pros that I can think of on 9mm:

Already reload for my 9mm handgun
Can make a very small compact rig
Easy to suppress
Cheap to shoot
Lots of components for reloading
d5ec9ed03cbc5f2994ceff7c38c45c62.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NDGuy

WKR
Solely because of the marketing

sram9102

WKR
I had one a while back and now have a 300 BO. The blowback design versus having a gas system didn't run as reliably as I would like. It was fun as hell to shoot but I don't think I ever got through more than a mag or two at a time without having it have some sort of issue. That being said I have read a lot of good things about some of the brands out there now. The MPX and CZ scorpion both supposedly runs great. JP enterprises was what I wanted at the time but was out of my price range. I built a Quarter Circle 10 with a 9 inch barrel. I think I would still have it if I had a can for it at the time.

eamyrick

WKR
If I was going to go with a rifle platform it would be a rifle round. Pistol rounds generally suck at killing comparatively to rifles. With that said even though I have multiple rifle setup I use at work I still run a Glock with a weapon light in a Knox box next to my bed.

bsnedeker

WKR
Agree with above. I looked into building one a few years ago because I wanted a rifle chambered in the same caliber as all my handguns. Then I started seeing all the drawbacks to that gun and just went with a 223 build for the PCC.

Compare the ballistics of a 223 PCC to a 9mm, and then look at the reliability issues with a 9mm build. Bottom line, if you are wanting a PCC for defense, a 9mm doesn't make a lot of sense. If you are building one because you want a fun range toy...by all means have at it!

OP
jadkins223

jadkins223

Lil-Rokslider
If I was going to go with a rifle platform it would be a rifle round. Pistol rounds generally suck at killing comparatively to rifles. With that said even though I have multiple rifle setup I use at work I still run a Glock with a weapon light in a Knox box next to my bed.

If I was able to easily suppress my hkp30sk I may consider that route but the perk of being able to suppress a 9mm PCC has my interest. Love my HK too

OP
jadkins223

jadkins223

Lil-Rokslider
Agree with above. I looked into building one a few years ago because I wanted a rifle chambered in the same caliber as all my handguns. Then I started seeing all the drawbacks to that gun and just went with a 223 build for the PCC.

Compare the ballistics of a 223 PCC to a 9mm, and then look at the reliability issues with a 9mm build. Bottom line, if you are wanting a PCC for defense, a 9mm doesn't make a lot of sense. If you are building one because you want a fun range toy...by all means have at it!

Man that’s good to know then. Maybe a 300 BO would more fit the bill then. A short 556 with a can would still be deafening if shot indoors huh

OP
jadkins223

jadkins223

Lil-Rokslider
I had one a while back and now have a 300 BO. The blowback design versus having a gas system didn't run as reliably as I would like. It was fun as hell to shoot but I don't think I ever got through more than a mag or two at a time without having it have some sort of issue. That being said I have read a lot of good things about some of the brands out there now. The MPX and CZ scorpion both supposedly runs great. JP enterprises was what I wanted at the time but was out of my price range. I built a Quarter Circle 10 with a 9 inch barrel. I think I would still have it if I had a can for it at the time.

What 300 BO rig are you running ? I just hate the ammo shock price of the 300 BO compared to 9mm lol

Darryle

WKR
Classified Approved
Take what I am going to say with a grain of salt, my needs are/were different from yours.

I have already done what you are planning with the exception I built mine. Aero Precision matched receivers, Spike's 16", Aero BCG and buffer kit, S-One handguard, Bushnell Tac Optics Lil P Prism (astigmatism)and co-witness flip up irons.

We live in the country on the backside of an old ranch, so it has seen more time killing feral dogs, coons, coyotes or foxes trying to get inside the chicken coop or pigs rooting up the aerobic sprinkler system, but it rides on the tractor or in the Ranger when we are checking fences or feeding the cows.

I tend to follow the statement by Clint Smith “The only purpose for a pistol is to fight your way back to the rifle you should have never laid down.”, with the exception of indoors, if they are in the house, it's one of two heavily modified 18 1/2" Mossberg 930s. We have 3 kids, they are on the back side of the house away from the entrances so there is no danger of a pass thru injury, the reason for the shotgun.

I like the idea of a short barrel rifle version of what I currently have, but I also like the accuracy of the current setup. It is a hoot to bang steel and reactive targets with out to 75yds. I have a neighbor with a tree and after running it twice at about 45yds, he tried and was sold. We built his in 40 Cal though.

I say buy or build, you will not regret it.

bsnedeker

WKR
Man that’s good to know then. Maybe a 300 BO would more fit the bill then. A short 556 with a can would still be deafening if shot indoors huh

Interesting point...to be honest I've never even considered the potential damage to ears if I have to defend myself in my home. If I'm having to fire my defense weapon in my house my ears are the last thing I'm worried about.

OP
jadkins223

jadkins223

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting point...to be honest I've never even considered the potential damage to ears if I have to defend myself in my home. If I'm having to fire my defense weapon in my house my ears are the last thing I'm worried about.

I use to think the same way but about a year ago I was in the same room as a short barreled AR that was discharged by someone and not only was it deafening but it also made me very distorted. Like to the point of I’m not sure if I could adequately respond to an intruder after the first shot. It was awful

OP
jadkins223

jadkins223

Lil-Rokslider
Take what I am going to say with a grain of salt, my needs are/were different from yours.

I have already done what you are planning with the exception I built mine. Aero Precision matched receivers, Spike's 16", Aero BCG and buffer kit, S-One handguard, Bushnell Tac Optics Lil P Prism (astigmatism)and co-witness flip up irons.

We live in the country on the backside of an old ranch, so it has seen more time killing feral dogs, coons, coyotes or foxes trying to get inside the chicken coop or pigs rooting up the aerobic sprinkler system, but it rides on the tractor or in the Ranger when we are checking fences or feeding the cows.

I tend to follow the statement by Clint Smith “The only purpose for a pistol is to fight your way back to the rifle you should have never laid down.”, with the exception of indoors, if they are in the house, it's one of two heavily modified 18 1/2" Mossberg 930s. We have 3 kids, they are on the back side of the house away from the entrances so there is no danger of a pass thru injury, the reason for the shotgun.

I like the idea of a short barrel rifle version of what I currently have, but I also like the accuracy of the current setup. It is a hoot to bang steel and reactive targets with out to 75yds. I have a neighbor with a tree and after running it twice at about 45yds, he tried and was sold. We built his in 40 Cal though.

I say buy or build, you will not regret it.

What caliber did you builds yours in man? The 16” one. Thanks for the reply

sram9102

WKR
What 300 BO rig are you running ? I just hate the ammo shock price of the 300 BO compared to 9mm lol

I built everything being left handed is a pain. Sundevil uppers. Ballistic advantage barrel. Basic lower. AAC 7.62 SD can. I SBR'd a lower after this to have a better receiver.

Attachments

• 20170727_154838_1501184962095.jpg
    20170727_154838_1501184962095.jpg
    417.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 20180709_173309.jpg
    20180709_173309.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 17
No insult intended but, I have to say, that last statement doesn't make sense. I sure wouldn't want to live out the rest of my decades after successfully defending my home, family. Especially when I could have done something about it up front. 300 blackout suppressed with subsonic rounds will sound like a moose fart. I'll take trimming brass over being deaf all day, every day. Not to mention rifle rounds go much farther and penetrate much more easily through doors, walls, windows, etc. Slowing down the velocity for indoor defense is a big safety factor (and keep you out of jail factor so an errant shot doesn't kill another family member or neighbor).

If i were going PCC, SBR, I'd look into a bigger round than 9mm. CMMG makes 8" barrel 10mm SBR's that can be suppressed.

OP
jadkins223

jadkins223

Lil-Rokslider
I built everything being left handed is a pain. Sundevil uppers. Ballistic advantage barrel. Basic lower. AAC 7.62 SD can. I SBR'd a lower after this to have a better receiver.

Those are both very sweet rigs man. I like the idea of 300 BO too

OP
jadkins223

jadkins223

Lil-Rokslider
No insult intended but, I have to say, that last statement doesn't make sense. I sure wouldn't want to live out the rest of my decades after successfully defending my home, family. Especially when I could have done something about it up front. 300 blackout suppressed with subsonic rounds will sound like a moose fart. I'll take trimming brass over being deaf all day, every day. Not to mention rifle rounds go much farther and penetrate much more easily through doors, walls, windows, etc. Slowing down the velocity for indoor defense is a big safety factor (and keep you out of jail factor so an errant shot doesn't kill another family member or neighbor).

If i were going PCC, SBR, I'd look into a bigger round than 9mm. CMMG makes 8" barrel 10mm SBR's that can be suppressed.

Like I said above, my experience of hearing an unsurpressed AR in closed doors was awful. Also in the event of having to shoot indoors I would much prefer a sub sonic suppressed round for the sake of my kids while sleeping. I can’t imagine them waking up to the sound of an unsuppressed AR indoors. Sub sonic and suppressed sure sounds awesome !

bsnedeker

WKR

No insult taken. My statement wasn't meant to say you SHOULDN'T worry about it....I was just saying it was something I hadn't even considered before. My thought process was focused on defending my family and I feel strongly that a 223 is better for that than a 9mm. I have zero experience with 300 BO which is why I didn't address it. I understand the ballistics on that round aren't great either.

I think OP made a great point regarding concussion from shooting an SBR indoors. It's definitely something I'm going to think about!