A 9mm PCC for home defense ?!?!?

Darryle

WKR
Most burglars don't wear plates, they are opportunist, looking for an easy mark.

Situational awareness is your friend, don't give anyone a clue of what you have, especially when it comes to firearms.

I do agree that a shotgun is your best choice. Plenty of choices and very reasonable. Ammo isn't too bad either, 9 big holes are quite a deterrent.

AZ_Five56

FNG
I'll echo what some others have said when I say that I'd go with a rifle round in this form factor. If I was going to use 9mm, I'd just rely on a pistol. I don't have experience with 300 BO, but that looks very interesting with a heavy bullet in a subsonic load. From my understanding about 300 BO (which isn't much), they run pistol powder and attain good velocity with very short barrel lengths. Some popular ones on the market run 5" barrels which are nice if you're planning to suppress.

BravoNovember

Lil-Rokslider
I personally like the thought of a subsonic 9mm round in a PCC and a can. I think about a 5.56 for home defense going out my bay window and into the house across the street with several young kids. Also, would be way easier on my family hearing

Last edited:

Malcolm31

FNG
I personally like the thought of a subsonic 9mm round in a PCC and a can. I think about a 5.56 for home defense going out my bay windo and into the house across the street with several you kids. Also, would be way easier on my family hearing
This…

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I personally like the thought of a subsonic 9mm round in a PCC and a can. I think about a 5.56 for home defense going out my bay window and into the house across the street with several young kids. Also, would be way easier on my family hearing

Do you understand that 9mm not only penetrates deeper, it also is measurably more lethal when going through intermediate barriers compared to heavy fragmenting 5.56 projectiles? Any pistol round is measurably worse at your concern.

BravoNovember

Lil-Rokslider
Do you understand that 9mm not only penetrates deeper, it also is measurably more lethal when going through intermediate barriers compared to heavy fragmenting 5.56 projectiles? Any pistol round is measurably worse at your concern.
I’m sure we both can find evidence to support our thoughts. At the end of the day we're are both going to have means to protect our family

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I’m sure we both can find evidence to support our thoughts. At the end of the day we're are both going to have means to protect our family

?

Sure, however what I wrote is fact. If someone is worried about “over penetration”, pistol rounds are about the worst choice.

I’d gladly sacrifice some of my hearing shooting an intruder with a suppressed 300blk (supers) or 5.56 than choose a piss poor performing caliber in a carbine like 9mm or 300blk subs that is more likely to over penetrate.

300blk is a fun caliber to reload and shoot through a suppressor. It’s practicality is limited for me at barrel lengths above 10” though.

Stu

Lil-Rokslider

Where is the 75gr Gold dot on that spectrum? Not that I’ve been able to find any in years. Who is buying them??

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Where is the 75gr Gold dot on that spectrum? Not that I’ve been able to find any in years. Who is buying them??

It’s a barrier blind projectile. Through soft barriers such as a single wall, it performs correctly. Through a wall, across an open space, into another walk…. Won’t penetrate as much as a pistol round.

Reactions: Stu
I think a ruger pc9 with fibre optic front or low mag illum. scope or even red dot would be one very fun rig for reactive range fun, called coyotes (instead of a shotgun), and pretty good camp or home defense rig too. Seems a lot of versatility there. Can slap a light/laser on easy. Get a 2 point sling and bulk ammo and good to go.

I'm sure this would get laughed at but I think a savage a17 in .17 hmr with the 25 round mags in mdt chassis could be set up equally to a pc9 or AR and have zero worry about ricochet or over penetrations if sticking with the v-max to tnt on bullets (not xtp, those suckers penetrate). Would be just as fun for the reactive range time, 0-150 yard coyotes, gopher days and do 2 point sling, light/laser defensive set up. Would prefer the 9mm for bear defense in camp though, would not use 9mm on gopher days...ricochets.

The .17 hmr v-max/tnt go in and do wonderful 6" circles of death on coyotes and on gopher days with v-max there's no ricochets, gophers explode (which gives good visual of what's happening inside coyotes to 150 yards), while .22 lr skipping all over the place, as would a 9mm, I'd be inclined to the .223 with frangible high speed lighter bullets if needing more hp and lower penetration and ricochet potential, but even .22 mag with v-max type lighter/faster options would be something to look at, I'm just a bigger .17 hmr fan. Both magnum rimfire would be a little easier on ears without suppressor also. I've shot a pile of coyotes with .17 hmr, haven't lost one, tried several ammos, v-max best for gophers but excellent on coyotes, tnt perfect for coyotes just slightly tougher than v-max and always getting in front quartering and facing dead on and doing the deed but do get a few ricochet on gophers and not as dramatic explosions so it's ideal for coyotes (which is what I would think would be for people also), the xtp was delayed controlled and coyotes went twice as far before expiring if they did a runner...the xtp would be for braining deer imo, survival, it would poke holes through both lungs of deer. I would not want to be shot with that little bugger and a guy with 25 rounds of those mini-bombs (v-max/tnt) on tap semi-auto would be no fun to deal with inside 150 yards.

Mark.c

FNG
Personally I would go with a production PCC from a reputable manufacturer for SD rather than building one yourself. Reliability and liability would be a concern with anything home built or assembled.