A big elk....

To me it's not even about that he hired guides. It's the fact that the guides had people camped on top of the bull for a couple weeks straight watching every move. Might as well have cell cams out. Just doesn't appear as fair chase to me, let alone any of the general public that happens on the video.
Just shows dedication that they were able to watch the bull everyday. I’m not saying I like what happened but the guides did what they were paid to do. You could say the same thing about myself. I watch a few bucks close to my house and know they’re routines and where they go when they’re pressured. And come November I’ll be out there waiting for them. This guy had the means to buy the tag and hired guides to find him a bull and that’s what they did. Then he made a good shot and admitted he wasn’t a hunter hence why he relied so much on the guides.

good for him and the fact he wants to spend his money that way but he is not due any type of hunting or shooting accolades. The advancement in rifles and optics has diluted the accomplishment of the 960 yd shot. Unless the wind was howling 40 miles per hr with a proper rest anyone who is used to 400 yds can make a 1000yd shot with the new Custom rifles and scopes. I personally limit myself to 500 yds but tried a 1000 yd shot with a strangers rifle in camp last yr and easily hit a 2 ft rock with it on the first shot and it wasn't zeroed for my eye. I didn't consider it amazing shooting, just found out what $15K can buy you in a rifle. His money will go to a good cause and he will have a beautiful mount on the wall but he did not personally accomplish much.

Everyone wants to beat this guy into the ground (JJ), so I was expecting the worst when I clicked on the video. Hard to see what the haters are seeing here.

He made an incredible shot and stays on the bull and makes a follow-up to boot. That's 2 hits at 1000 yards. He also asks for another round to be ready which his guide should have been pushing. Then when he gets over to bull he readily admits that he is not a hunter and gives the credit to all of the hunters to allow him the opportunity. He was respectful and gracious of the opportunity. He knows his money bought the opportunity and doesn't try to hide that fact. What more do you want?

Be pissed off at the system if you don't want someone to be able to buy record book bull/buck/etc.

Give this guy the credit he deserves. Great shooting, humility and respect for those that did the legwork.
great reply.... i share your thoughts exactly.

i think people don't like it knowing this is never an opportunity they will have, and they deserve it more for the work they put in.... it's just not realistic, and the majority of people would take that opportunity if they had the chance.

these governor tags/auction tags are a weird dynamic, but i support the cause.... yep, they may kill some huge bull i could have hunted in the future, on terms that aren't "fair" to normal hunters, but i think the program is great, i'm glad it happens for the benefit of the bigger picture (or hopefully it does.... it does in AZ)

if i was rich, i would love to get a governor tag for bighorn..... i would gift it to a guy i greatly respect who has applied over 50yrs for it, and watched girlfriends, kids, and first time hunters get the majority of the tags every year.... life ain't fair.

a huge bull killed on a governor/auction tag takes NOTHING away from me enjoying my hunting season, it's just unrelated. i have a friend draw the western oregon elk raffle tag this year, and if i would have found a 320+ roosie (or do) i would let him loose on it, i just don't really care anymore..... antlers are cool, but nothing compared to the pursuit, and the experience.

i would love to draw a weneha rifle tag (never applied for it or considered rifle hunting elk) and if it happened, i would let some friends join in on the adventure.... it's almost always a "crew" associated with those big tags.... i just don't blame the guy for killing that bull.

Just shows dedication that they were able to watch the bull everyday. I’m not saying I like what happened but the guides did what they were paid to do. You could say the same thing about myself. I watch a few bucks close to my house and know they’re routines and where they go when they’re pressured. And come November I’ll be out there waiting for them. This guy had the means to buy the tag and hired guides to find him a bull and that’s what they did. Then he made a good shot and admitted he wasn’t a hunter hence why he relied so much on the guides.
different perspectives indeed! i always wonder how these discussions would go in real life, a big group of hunters in one place talking about this bull and how it was killed.... i always imagine it wouldn't resemble a thread on the subject, haha.... discussion in text seems to go sideways a lot faster than the same one in real life.

Poser

WKR

Dedication? It was literally their job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Too much emotion in this, imo. He legally paid for the license and tag. Killed his animal and tagged it. Didn't break any laws.

I don't believe in trail cams and taking game with a rifle, but that's my choice. I don't decry people that hunt with them, just simply how I choose to achieve my goal.

It'd be dope if already small, niche subcultures like hunters and weightlifters stopped trying to nitpick each other over stupid shit.

Umpcoos

FNG
Seriously people, those of you raining on a wealthy man's parade better be careful what you wish for. The antis are well funded by a lot of folks with more money than JJ. Alienating wealthy people that support wildlife conservation and hunting plays right into the antis hands.

Sure, many of us would have done it different, etc. and I certainly didn't like the angle with the other tag holder. I've been in a similar situation myself. But get over it and look at the bigger picture. Like others have said, the "shooter" gave credit where it was due. Good for the guides and all involved, including JJ.

Last edited:

satchamo

WKR
You guys do understand how much a governers tag costs right? And how much money it raises for the states DNR?

I know it’s hard to watch but the states bank roll on these tags and I believe they are a necessary evil.

OldGrayJB

WKR
I bet JJ makes these same comments about us when we enter his area of expertise.

"You don't deserve to enjoy that sandwich. You wouldn't even have that sandwich if it wasn't for your money. You don't even know how to bake a sub roll.":ROFLMAO:

archer85

FNG
I give credit to the guy filming. Just as he explained in the video, he could have chased the bull off but the gang of scouts would just turn him up again. The guy couldn't keep that up all season so he chose the alternative and went along to film. Being the guy with the camera, I for one would have had a hard time watching it go down through the screen of the camera knowing how much time was put into finding the bull as a real hunter. On the flip side the trigger man came out and plainly said he had made a lot of money in his life and didn't see himself as a hunter. The guides were the real hunters and he gave them credit and I feel was genuinely appreciative of their effort. Good on his part for saying that, but as everyone on here knows, most of the time the best part of the hunt is the challenge and events leading up to the shot. I could never give those times up to just show up and pull the trigger.

hobbes

WKR
Don't lie now........some of you guys had to have taken a break from "protesting" over social injustice so you could respond to this thread......

I have to agree, on one hand this is almost laughable to describe this as a hunt. On the other hand, it is a fabulous display of shooting capability. Lots of guys criticize gun hunters and long range shooters I won't open that can now, but to say anyone can go make that shot just because they have a high dollar rifle is BS. It takes a great deal of skill and planning to pull off a cross canyon shot like that. Still not a huge fan of letting this go down as any kind of record though...
He didn’t sight in his own rifle. He was told to dial in the distance and “don’t think about it”.

sgibson

FNG
A bull like that is known, especially in a place like that.
Not where that bull was at. Not trying to instigate anything funny happened... but Trent was the only guy I know of that knew about that bull until right before that all went down... and I know a lot of guys that hunt that unit hard all year long.