A Boy and his Opah

Opah

WKR
Well it is finally coming together, My Grand son and I hunting together. Hunter safety completed, Hunting license purchased, 20 gauge break barrel single action 18.5 inch barrel shot gun and a CZ 32 semi-auto on his hip.
Starting out with small game, cotton tail, quail, dove and Jack, bringing him out on some Pig and Archery deer Hunts to observe until we can get him equipped with a compound Bow and Riffle. With the way things are looking we are also going to get him a quality education on snares and trapping, really looking forward to the time together. We have started his firearms training working on his mussel memory for the hand guns and riffles, Mostly mirror work.
The plan is once a month starting next week to get him out with live rounds, target ( hand gun) and clay pigeon launchers (20 gauge).
I really want him brought up correctly Both eyes open, not the Popeye squint I was taught, I just find it impossible for me to shoot thru a scope with both eyes open? Is both eyes open the best way to shoot thru a scope ? don"t want to mess the Boy up.

Rob5589

WKR
Sounds like he's off to a great start. Just FYI, trapping is all gone in California.

OXN939

WKR
Is both eyes open the best way to shoot thru a scope ? don"t want to mess the Boy up.

For a magnified optic, you'll want to close the eye that is not looking through the scope. This is because the two pictures seen by your eyes would be so different that your brain would have a hard time concentrating with any precision on the one that matters- the reticle.

That said, every movement in precision shooting should be as gentle as possible- gently close your non dominant eye, gently exhale your last breath while gently squeezing the trigger. To reinforce this, I highly recommend starting new shooters with a rifle that has nice, light trigger- under 4 pounds- so they don't get into the habit of trying to squeeze water out of a rock during their trigger squeeze sequence.

OP
O

Opah

WKR
Thank you
Good sound Breathing and trigger advice, but I was under the assumption that your mind basically disregarded the weak eye and focused thru the prominent eye on the scope ?
It would be easier for him to close the off eye ?

OXN939

WKR
Thank you
Good sound Breathing and trigger advice, but I was under the assumption that your mind basically disregarded the weak eye and focused thru the prominent eye on the scope ?
It would be easier for him to close the off eye ?

You'll get a lot of different advice about this I'm sure, but that's how I was taught and what has worked for me. Ultimately, do whatever works for you and him.

i never close my off eye. you will get a ton of yes's and no's on that one. do what feels right.
curious how old is he?
one of the most important guns my kids had in development is a .22 rifle. I think it is so important to develop rifle shooting skills so when he gets old enough for big game the it becomes second nature. my best friend never had that luxury and still today he is terrible about getting on target when a deer is in range. I have watched huge bucks walk out of sight while he fumbled around and tried to get them in his sights. my own son comes up to target and gets a quality shot off extremely efficiently and that is largely because of the practice he had with a .22 rifle. plinking, shooting ground squirrels, rabbits etc all were extremely important practice.

good luck, post pics. i love it when kids are having fun outdoors.

OP
O

Opah

WKR
He is 16, I started him out with a whisper cat Gamo air rifle, then a 22LR. This week end he gets to shoot his 20 gauge Brake barrel single action shot gun and his CZ 32 Semiauto.
Going to throw some clay pigeons get him working on tracking and leading the Pigeon.
And point and shoot to center mass with his CZ.
Hoping by next year we can have him a 270 and / or a bow to Deer hunt with me.

OP
O

Opah

WKR
All I have to say is woooohoooo, that boy can shoot, he and the CZ bonded Pull, point shoot he pretty much maintained a 8" group coming from the holster and 2 shots, from the holster 2 shots. he burned up a 100 rounds pretty quick. But then there was the 20 gauge that was should and shoot, single shot, pretty hard to miss with a shotgun but he did disintegrate what ever he was shooting at.
Really great expectations I have for him, next month the sheet launched 250 clay pigeons, and hopefully a couple hundred rounds of the 32 if I can track some down.
Figure I'll bring my Ethica feather lite semi pump 12 gauge for the big boys to play with and give him a taste of what most likely will be his first 12 gauge.
I can't tell you how proud I feel having him with me, just tearing it up, having such a good time, his smile did not leave his face and any ear he could get to listen got told his story and descriptions of how hard the 20 kicked and how sweet the report of the CZ was.
Next month is coming to slow, but got some good target boards and fun stuff to shoot for him this next trip.
I have got to remember to get some pics this time.