A Caution about Grizzly Synthetic Game Bags

Krieg Hetzen

Lil-Rokslider
This year at moose camp we had a few varieties of game bags: TAG bags, Grizzly Cotton Bags and Grizzly synthetic bags. For those that don’t know, Grizzly is the brand of bag that 3 Bears sells up in Alaska. Not Sure if they’re readily available elsewhere. The Grizzly synthetic bags took the longest to dry out (even compared to the cotton version) and most importantly they were the only bag where the flies got into our meat and laid eggs. Thankfully we were able to get rid of all of the eggs and make sure the meat didn’t go to waste. I still recommend the Grizzly cotton bags if weight isn’t an issue and after using them, the TAG bags if weight is an issue. Just be careful of the “deal” that it is for the Grizzly synthetic bags. I would hate for someones hard earned meat to go bad because the bags aren’t a good enough barrier. I sincerely hope this is an isolated case though and no one else had to deal with it. Happy hunting!

JNDEER

WKR
Thanks for the advice.

Curious how did you come to find out the flys were able to lay eggs and remove them before they hatched and ruined the meat?

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
important side note though...maggot larvae do not ruin the meat, even if they hatch to nasty maggots. If you see them on the meat, remove them. Recall up to around 1955-1960 wound infections were treated with maggots. They are gross as hell but I've seen whole qtrs thrown away because of a small patch of larvae. Just sayin...

JNDEER

WKR
important side note though...maggot larvae do not ruin the meat, even if they hatch to nasty maggots. If you see them on the meat, remove them. Recall up to around 1955-1960 wound infections were treated with maggots. They are gross as hell but I've seen whole qtrs thrown away because of a small patch of larvae. Just sayin...
I am not an entomologist- but would it be more the correlation of the temperature of the meat allowing for hatched eggs and the fact that meat spoils at/around that temperature?

Only ever seen two deer spoil, both had maggots and warm meat.