A cautionary tale / dealing with game wardens

Beendare

WKR
I've run into a lot of GW's in 4 decades...can't say I ever met an A hole one. Sure, I've met a few that were suspicious....but that comes with the job description. Its a thankless...and very dangerous job...that I would never want.

___

King68

FNG
Thanks for sharing your story. Just out of curiosity, what would the game wardens have done with the meat had you found the animal?

I've run into a lot of GW's in 4 decades...can't say I ever met an A hole one. Sure, I've met a few that were suspicious....but that comes with the job description. Its a thankless...and very dangerous job...that I would never want.

I met one. Most of my encounters have been very professional and polite, but the first DOW (at the time) encounter I had in Colorado was one that almost ended with me dead.

In college, a couple of friends and I decided to head out to a state wildlife area for a rabbit and squirrel hunt. I read and reread the rule book, and knew for certain that both were in season. I read the requirements for licenses and such, and obtained what I needed. The three of us went out and hunted for a few hours, each getting a few critters, but well below our limits. As we walked to the parking lot, we see two wardens, one old, one young. The young one draws his pistol at about 50 yards and points it at me. He told me to "drop the weapon", my single shot, bolt action .22 that was slung over my shoulder. My friends dropped their .20 gauge single shot and 10-22 onto the ground. I kept my hands in front of me and visible and explained to him that my grandfather had given me that rifle, I was no threat to him, and I would gladly lean it up against the tree next to me. He yelled for me to drop the gun or he would shoot. I yelled back. I told him that he would have to live with killing me if he chose to murder me for taking care of a family heirloom. I leaned the rifle against the tree when the older warden put a hand on the younger guy's shoulder and whispered something to him.

We were separated, our licenses checked, our rabbits and squirrels checked, and then berated for about 20 minutes about how stupid we were for not wearing orange. I explained to him that the regulations did not require it, and as broke college kids, we didn't have any with us at school. Eventually we were let go with a warning that we were stupid.

I don't know what set him off, and can only assume he was fresh out of an academy that convinced him everyone wanted to kill him, and the older warden was his FTO.

In the OP I believe it all hinged on finding the bull. If it had been found they would have thrown the book at you. They even admitted their intentions, after you did the right thing. So no reward/leniency for doing right.
And the other poster with the Bobcat, same deal. Admitted his mistake and they threw the book at him. No consideration for admittance.

I realize this thread is old but wanted to reply to the comment that bumped it. This is spot on, had you found the animal you would have been fined, they needed that evidence and you tried desperately to help them find it. You still did the right thing, and I think as others have eluded to in the end even with a fine at least your conscience is clear.

I met one. Most of my encounters have been very professional and polite, but the first DOW (at the time) encounter I had in Colorado was one that almost ended with me dead.

In college, a couple of friends and I decided to head out to a state wildlife area for a rabbit and squirrel hunt. I read and reread the rule book, and knew for certain that both were in season. I read the requirements for licenses and such, and obtained what I needed. The three of us went out and hunted for a few hours, each getting a few critters, but well below our limits. As we walked to the parking lot, we see two wardens, one old, one young. The young one draws his pistol at about 50 yards and points it at me. He told me to "drop the weapon", my single shot, bolt action .22 that was slung over my shoulder. My friends dropped their .20 gauge single shot and 10-22 onto the ground. I kept my hands in front of me and visible and explained to him that my grandfather had given me that rifle, I was no threat to him, and I would gladly lean it up against the tree next to me. He yelled for me to drop the gun or he would shoot. I yelled back. I told him that he would have to live with killing me if he chose to murder me for taking care of a family heirloom. I leaned the rifle against the tree when the older warden put a hand on the younger guy's shoulder and whispered something to him.

We were separated, our licenses checked, our rabbits and squirrels checked, and then berated for about 20 minutes about how stupid we were for not wearing orange. I explained to him that the regulations did not require it, and as broke college kids, we didn't have any with us at school. Eventually we were let go with a warning that we were stupid.

I don't know what set him off, and can only assume he was fresh out of an academy that convinced him everyone wanted to kill him, and the older warden was his FTO.

Wow...

Awesome job OP, being the first to call F&W is very often a heavy influence on law enforcement

Absolutely correct in doing what you did.. Brings a lot of creditibility to the hunting community when wardens see this.. Many wardens are hunters to and can see how mistakes can be made, but most frown on trying to hide mistakes and pull the wool over their eyes.. Had a good friend kill a nice bull in Co two years (second rifle season).. When he approached the downed bull, he saw that his bullet had gone completely through the bull and killed a cow that was standing behind him back in the timber.. He field dressed both animals and came out to the first point he could make a call and explained what had happened to the local warden.. The warden couldn't believe he'd turned himself in.. The warden asked that he pack both animals out, gave him a tag number to keep with the cows meat and asked him to call him back when he was out.. The warden met him, congratulated him on the bull, took the cow's meat to the nearest donation center and simply told him to enjoy the rest of his time in Co. and be safe.. I'm sure if he'd handled it differently, things could have gone badly for him..

ID2NM

Lil-Rokslider
Absolutely correct in doing what you did.. Brings a lot of creditibility to the hunting community when wardens see this.. Many wardens are hunters to and can see how mistakes can be made, but most frown on trying to hide mistakes and pull the wool over their eyes.. Had a good friend kill a nice bull in Co two years (second rifle season).. When he approached the downed bull, he saw that his bullet had gone completely through the bull and killed a cow that was standing behind him back in the timber.. He field dressed both animals and came out to the first point he could make a call and explained what had happened to the local warden.. The warden couldn't believe he'd turned himself in.. The warden asked that he pack both animals out, gave him a tag number to keep with the cows meat and asked him to call him back when he was out.. The warden met him, congratulated him on the bull, took the cow's meat to the nearest donation center and simply told him to enjoy the rest of his time in Co. and be safe.. I'm sure if he'd handled it differently, things could have gone badly for him..
This right here. My wife is a warden and she will ALWAYS work with someone who is honest with her. It doesn’t mean she’ll let you off the hook because sometimes a ticket is unavoidable but as soon as she senses dishonesty she will not cut you any slack. That’s how most wardens are. Be truthful and at the very least they will advocate for you when the time comes. They deal with too many douchebags everyday to have much patience for those who waste their time. They do have hearts and realize mistakes happen, despite what many will tell you.

11boo

WKR
This right here. My wife is a warden and she will ALWAYS work with someone who is honest with her. It doesn’t mean she’ll let you off the hook because sometimes a ticket is unavoidable but as soon as she senses dishonesty she will not cut you any slack. That’s how most wardens are. Be truthful and at the very least they will advocate for you when the time comes. They deal with too many douchebags everyday to have much patience for those who waste their time. They do have hearts and realize mistakes happen, despite what many will tell you.
I never had a problem with them till a couple weeks ago. I had left camp for a night at home with the wife, got checked by CPW on the way out.
No issue with checking my license, but I must have said something that triggered them. Told them I still had a friend from out of state in camp I was hunting with. They found my camp and friend and grilled him about me “guiding “ him. Wanted to know how much he was paying me.

Those jack wagons were trying to bust me as an unlicensed outfitter, lol. I would be the worst outfitter ever, never have taken a bow shot at an elk. Lesson learned, never talk to the man.

But wait, there’s more. My friend went hunting solo after the CPW interrogation, and dropped a nice bull less than a mile from camp. He went up a ridge we had not yet been too, after I suggested it as an easy hunt close to camp.

View attachment 79650

If you would, ask your wife why I would have been suspected of being an unlicensed outfitter. I’ve never been anything but respectful of them. Almost like they were trying to frame me for an imaginary crime. Lesson learned for sure. The friend was from out of state, but that is still no reason. Hell, if he had mentioned he gave me 50 bucks for fuel i might have been facing charges.

ID2NM

Lil-Rokslider
If you would, ask your wife why I would have been suspected of being an unlicensed outfitter. I’ve never been anything but respectful of them. Almost like they were trying to frame me for an imaginary crime. Lesson learned for sure. The friend was from out of state, but that is still no reason. Hell, if he had mentioned he gave me 50 bucks for fuel i might have been facing charges.
It sounds like they were doing their job and making sure you weren’t lying to them about guiding your friend (something that happens A LOT). It sounds like you weren’t charged with anything and your hunt was successful, so I’m not sure why you’re still sore. They are trained to ask questions and investigate things. The amount of assholes they deal with on a regular basis is staggering and usually means they aren’t going to sugarcoat something if they’re suspicious. I want to be clear that I am not insinuating that you’re an asshole here.
Also, your comment about never talking to the man is the reason so many DO get away with blatant wildlife crimes. I know you’re making a joke here, but that attitude is seriously poisonous to our wildlife’s well-being nationwide.

Thanks for sharing. Honest mistakes happen and you did everything right to try and correct it. Hopefully others will learn from your mistake now too.

22lr

WKR
Remember what they say about first impressions, ya, they matter to everyone.

It's really funny to me how many people will talk themselves into jail/tickets/fines. Ya, the warden saw you pull in that foul hooked Salmon. If they are talking to you they already have pictures, trying to say that it wasn't, or trying to rehook it in the mouth is just a good way to get extra charges/fines. And even if they have you dead to rights and you're getting a ticket, don't be an asshole. I've seen countless people get extra tickets/handcuffs instead of a simple ticket/warning because they just seemed hell bent on being a jerk wad. Just watch those TV shows that follow the game wardens if you want some great real life examples, LOL.

If you see em on the trail, stop and talk for a minute. I have yet to meet a warden who wouldn't give me a quick rundown of how the hunting/fishing is going for folks/if people are hauling animals out of that area or not. And yes, sometimes they ask to see my license before I keep going, but that's their job...