A classic diamond in the rough.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Is that comb going to be too high for your receiver sight? Hunted many years with pre64 70s wearing 48wjs but none had that high of a comb.
Yes, I've certainly thought of that. You're right, the earlier model low comb stocks were made for the peep sites. Not these higher comb ones. When I shoulder it, it seems OK for now, but I don't know where the thing is zero'd and if I have to drop it much further, it might not work. I also havent tried to lay prone with it either. If it ends up not working I'll slap some type of 4x scope on it.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Yes, I've certainly thought of that. You're right, the earlier model low comb stocks were made for the peep sites. Not these higher comb ones. When I shoulder it, it seems OK for now, but I don't know where the thing is zero'd and if I have to drop it much further, it might not work. I also havent tried to lay prone with it either. If it ends up not working I'll slap some type of 4x scope on it.

Or it looks like you would be pretty handy with a rasp. Any chance you could PM where you found the beater stock. I looking for something similar.

Wapiti1

WKR
Do it justice with a rebuilt period correct scope. Vintage Gun Scopes in Montana does a good job. Not cheap, but they are very well done.

Jeremy

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Do it justice with a rebuilt period correct scope. Vintage Gun Scopes in Montana does a good job. Not cheap, but they are very well done.

Jeremy
Interesting. Thanks for the tip. That’s a new one on me.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
They’re pretty slick. In many ways the old Weaver K4’s and 6’s are better aiming devices than most of the newest scopes.
Yes, I am thrilled to find this outfit. If I decide to scope it, a K4 would be my #1 choice. I’ve owned several over the years and they are built like the proverbial brick chit house. I was envisioning having to scour eBay and classifieds for months likely to try to find a nice one. These guys make it easy!

Nice work. Beautiful set up. Seems I recall reading that the JOC specials had an upgraded, high nickel barrel.

I still try to hunt some every year with a few blued/walnut rifles that have sentimental value or historical interest. One is a LH 110 30-06 deluxe that my uncle used for 35+ years. Another is a Savage 99 in .308 that belonged to a good friend who has passed. I also keep a few New Haven CRF Model 70's that were my dad's. The M70 are in like new condition, do they don't see much field time.