A classified etiquette question

sndmn11

WKR
I would never say anyone has a "right" to buy something or can claim anything. Nothing is bought or sold until it is paid for, and nothing is pending until there is an agreement. For all one knows, a post saying "PM sent" could simply be a question about how the person liked the item, or if it matched a certain color, or a notification that they misspelled something.
Common sense and logic should rule, but simply posting something in thread is meaningless to me if the effort stops there.

Id say 9.9 out of 10 times I will be mindful about the time someone either replies to the thread with "ill take it" via pm or in the thread. "pm sent" doesnt work the same way. That could be questions, offers, etc. But a PM or reply of "ill take it", Ill call that good and sell to the person who does that first. If you pm first with an offer, and someone PMs after you with "ill take it", Im going to sell to the person who will pay what I asked and doesnt want to haggle. If Ive agreed on your offer, any higher offer after that wont be considered.

Only once has that not been the case. I listed a Marsupial Enclosed Harness, RF pouch and Zipper pouch. I got a reply with a picture of a Marsupial cart with the cheaper non enclosed harness in it with simply a "?" as if to question either my intelligence, or insinuating that I was trying to rip someone off. I am fair when I list things to the point where the price is set well enough that I rarely get offers, I usually get "ill take it".

I got home from work and had a few messages. The first from him, saying he will buy it, and then another guy - who didnt try to make me look like an ass in my own thread - and I chose to sell it to him. Once I put 'sold' and closed the thread he sent me a 'but i was first' message. I simply dont want to work with buyers like that any more than I dont want to work with sellers like that. Im the easiest dude to get along with, but the condescending asshole bit doest fly with me.

I will never refund anyones money after getting a higher offer. Once I accept your offer and money, the item is yours and I just have to send it to you. Once we agree for you to buy it, its highly unethical at that point to go back on that. Whatever the higher offer is, its not worth your integrity.

Last edited:
Id say 9.9 out of 10 times I will be mindful about the time someone either replies to the thread with "ill take it" via pm or in the thread. "pm sent" doesnt work the same way. That could be questions, offers, etc. But a PM or reply of "ill take it", Ill call that good and sell to the person who does that first. If you pm first with an offer, and someone PMs after you with "ill take it", Im going to sell to the person who will pay what I asked and doesnt want to haggle. If Ive agreed on your offer, any higher offer after that wont be considered.

Only once has that not been the case. I listed a Marsupial Enclosed Harness, RF pouch and Zipper pouch. I got a reply with a picture of a Marsupial cart with the cheaper non enclosed harness in it with simply a "?" as if to question either my intelligence, or insinuating that I was trying to rip someone off. I am fair when I list things to the point where the price is set well enough that I rarely get offers, I usually get "ill take it".

I got home from work and had a few messages. The first from him, saying he will buy it, and then another guy - who didnt try to make me look like an ass in my own thread - and I chose to sell it to him. Once I put 'sold' and closed the thread he sent me a 'but i was first' message. I simply dont want to work with buyers like that any more than I dont want to work with sellers like that. Im the easiest dude to get along with, but the condescending asshole bit doest fly with me.

I will never refund anyones money after getting a higher offer. Once I accept your offer and money, the item is yours and I just have to send it to you. Once we agree for you to buy it, its highly unethical at that point to go back on that. Whatever the higher offer is, its not worth your integrity.
I 100% agree. If I tell someone that an item is theirs then and they have paid, that's the end. I'm like you, unusually price my items so they will sell quickly. I have had offers over my asking price but turned them away because I think it's wrong to agree to something, take the money, and then say, "sorry, I got a higher offer so I'm gonna sell to someone else". That goes against everything I was taught about being a stand up man and honoring your word.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

It's actually heartwarming to see that some people still care about doing the right thing and being ethical with for all intents and purposes complete strangers. On other forums I post sale pending when I have a verbal agreement with someone. Great discussion

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk